Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 09:13 AM

50 posts, read 86,415 times

Advertisements

Hello!

So I'm looking at moving to the Thornton area (around the 120th area) and I'd like to hear some advice on the commute downtown. I currently work right downtown and I'm looking for a realistic time on the commute during work hours to know if it's worth it to be living in Thornton.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 09:58 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
Best to take the bus. I believe you'll want the Wagon Road/Thornton Express Rt 120X. Schedule shows you can expect about 25 min. Add to that your walk or drive time to the station and you'll have a pretty good idea.

RTD

Old 01-04-2013, 09:58 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
I would get up real early and drive it yourself. Mapping software will give you an average, but that drive is heavily congested and often stop and go.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:37 AM

Are there any suggestions about where would be a decent commute besides Thornton? I'm already living in the Park Hill area and I'm just looking to move elsewhere.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:21 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzgirl View Post
Are there any suggestions about where would be a decent commute besides Thornton? I'm already living in the Park Hill area and I'm just looking to move elsewhere.
You are really making it more difficult than it needs to be. Downtown Denver is easily commutable from many locations if you use Public Transit. Just look at the RTD website and pick a spot and take the bus or train. Of course, you may have an enmity to public transit, well, that is your choice and your loss.

You can drive and distance is the only factor that changes the commute and that is easily determined. However, from all distances and all locations to downtown, you will still face issues of traffic because you still eventually be channeled into the same congested roads and highways near downtown--there is only one I-25, the same limited bridges and access roads. Also, with all driving, you will face problems of accidents, weather and with downtown, the additional problem of finding a place to park.

I worked downtown and I took the bus. One of co-workers made fun of me because he bragged that he was able to get to downtown in less time by driving. So, we decided on a challenge. We called each other when we each left for work and timed our commutes. He drove and I took the bus. He got to downtown faster, on many days, but I got to my desk faster on all days. How? because he always choose the most distant and cheaper parking and the walk from the parking took longer to the building. At times, because of traffic, he got to downtown latter because of traffic or weather and he still had his long hike from the parking lot. Also, he looked haggard from the commute--I was relaxed. What made this story even more hilarious is that he paid for parking and driving and we got a free bus pass from the employer--which is provided by many downtown businesses.

People who have never commuting by bus or train, regularly, do not realize that you meet the same people everyday and you can form relationships. I would meet my transit buddies and would sit on the bus; talk and share stories; provide information that was helpful; the children and grandchildren's pictures came out and you would have the social obligatory requirement to patiently view and smile. I would see woman on the buses bringing snacks to their transit friends. We would have the same bus driver and he would be part of the friendly familiarity. We would meet each other downtown for lunch and many of the transit buddies would form friendship for life, outside the commute. Contacts were exchanged that give opportunities for jobs and business relationships. If you are socially adroit and patient enough--love or marriages can be a result. Taking public transit can take the isolation out of life and forces you to interact with others and many times that interaction is very pleasant and advantageous.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 01-04-2013 at 11:45 AM..

Old 01-04-2013, 11:23 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Sure, we would be happy to make some suggestions but, first we need to know more about what you are looking for.

Community needs? Housing type? Rent? Buy? Price range?

Old 01-04-2013, 11:25 AM

Thanks for your input. I just prefer the independence of driving, that's all.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:27 AM

81 posts, read 475,105 times
It would completely depend on what time you're traveling. I leave for work at 5am and traffic is a non-issue. If I leave at 510am, that makes a considerable difference.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:55 AM

459 posts, read 807,780 times
OP the fastest commute would obviously be from downtown, but I am guessing you do not want to live there so I would suggest Arvada near Olde Towne. Yes from Arvada you are riding into the sun both ways but 6 seems to get the brunt of traffic on the west side of town and you have many alternate routes in case of a major backup (Federal to 38th to park, Federal to Speer, Pecos to 33rd to Osage to 20th, etc).

Last edited by robertgoodman; 01-05-2013 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: Removed quoted troll posting.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:11 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgoodman View Post
OP the fastest commute would obviously be from downtown, but I am guessing you do not want to live there so I would suggest Arvada near Olde Towne. Yes from Arvada you are riding into the sun both ways but 6 seems to get the brunt of traffic on the west side of town and you have many alternate routes in case of a major backup (Federal to 38th to park, Federal to Speer, Pecos to 33rd to Osage to 20th, etc).
Absolutely correct and I cannot give you any reps. That is how, I have drive to Downtown, when I have a need to drive vs. taking the bus. The unfortunate part of this side road trip is that I often stop at all the restaurants along the way and stuff my face and bring more food home. North Denver has become the "in" place to be and new restaurants and shops are opening at a fantastic pace.

I never worry about the traffic as I know all the side roads and shortcuts to Denver from Arvada as I can quickly change course and go on another road and find another place to eat... and go on another road and find another place to eat... and go on another road and find another place to eat....ahhhhhhhhhh

I even walked home once, as I live only 6 miles from Union Station. I left at 1 pm on a friday and got home at 10 pm. It was a long slow walk with stops for a burrito, a few tamales, grabbing a few pastries at a Mexican bakery, a hamburger and a beer, a slice of pizza (OK, two slices), stop for cookies at a Italian Bakery, a large ice cream cone and a stop at the park to talk to a retired priest fisherman. I did it to get some exercise and loose some weight--the exercise was good but I was fatter the next day.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver