Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 07:58 PM

28 posts, read 109,922 times

Advertisements

I am think of relocating to Denver and was wondering if anyone can compare the two, especially the suburbs. I live in Cleveland Heights if that helps. Also, the cost of living is a little bit of a concern, but winters and snow are no problem.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 01:13 PM

49 posts, read 219,061 times
i'm not sure how to even respond to this. your comparison is like asking which is better: Fargo, North Dakota or San Diego, California. the answer is obvious.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:18 PM

61 posts, read 254,797 times
Default Ok, seriously

I can't believe this question was even asked. OP, I live in South Euclid, OH right now bc my husband is at CWRU dental school. The day of his final exam, I will have the truck packed, and I will pick him up from school and race out of this town like a bat out of h*ll.

Colorado has everything you wish Cleveland had. Lower taxes, more beautiful scenery, recreation, less crime, nicer people, no racial tension, roads in good condition....I could go on and on. Move RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-05-2007, 01:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Sorry to sound like a wet blanket here, but what about the job? What kind of work do you do? What do you want to do out here?

Old 10-05-2007, 01:35 PM

322 posts, read 299,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin' on up View Post
i'm not sure how to even respond to this. your comparison is like asking which is better: Fargo, North Dakota or San Diego, California. the answer is obvious.
Or it might be asking which person had more character John Lennon or Dick Cheney? The answer is obvious.

Cleveland atleast is a real city, not a huge endless suburb.

I knew when I saw this thread, it was going to turn quickly into a ignorant Denver is paradise and Cleveland is hell thread. Denver is overrated, Cleveland is underrated. I am not saying Denver is bad. I love Denver, but it gets to much respect that it doesn't deserve.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:39 PM

It seems the OP would like to relocate.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:48 PM

If the OP is going to relocate, then help compare them then bashing Cleveland.

OP:
Cleveland and Denver may get the same amount of snow, but the snow falls in Denver like only a few times a year, then all winter long. It is more sunny in Denver. There are less water recreation, but more mountain recreation. In Denver you are further away from other cities and are very landlocked, as where in Cleveland you are closer to cities like Chicago, and N.Y. Cleveland has more history and character, as where Denver still has some smaller amounts of History and character in the central area, most of the metro is very new and suburban. Denver's economy goes through ups and downs. Cleveland's is a little more hurting right now, but that may change in the future. The crime is about equal depending on where you are. People will tell you Denver is a perfect Maybury, but is far from it. I lived near five points for a while out there and there were many shootings around my apartment. Cleveland is a better sports town, but Denver has all 4 major sports teams. If you like the mountains then you will love Denver.

Oh yeah, The whole "People are nicer in Denver" is not exactly true. Denver is a transplant town. People tend to keep to them selves a little more. The suburbs of Cleveland are a lot nicer then the suburbs of Denver IMO. Denvers are very crowded and cookie cutter, while Clevlelands has a little more character to them and less cookie cutter.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:09 PM

Well, I didn't say anything to bash Cleveland, I don't have much experience with the place.

I agree with about 80% of what you said, Stagger Lee. I am hardly surprised there were shootings around your apt in 5 Points. That is known to be a fairly high-crime neighborhood.

Most of the Denver metro area is not "new and suburban" unless you define "new" as 1960, which was almost 50 years ago now. Many of the suburbs are much older than that (Arvada, Wheat Ridge, Golden, Louisville, Lafayette, Littleton). About 1 in 5 Denver areas residents live in the city; about 1 in 4.7 Cleveland residents do the same.

Denver's economy seems to have some sort of resiliency that is not seen in some of the northeast/midwest rustbelt towns, that were devastated with the steel industry crash and the decline of American car manufacturing.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:28 PM

I never said you bashed Cleveland. In my opinion though there are suburbs outside of the Cleveland city boundaries that feel urban. However, most city neighborhoods inside the denver boundary feel suburban. Tell me that once you get out to Country club, cherry creek, and even further out from there to places around Glendale that it doesn't feel suburban.

As where some of those towns may have areas in them that are older from the 60s which you are right. Majority of the areas in those suburbs are new cookie cutter developments. I know Arvada and Aurora have older suburban areas, but majority of them are new age housing plans.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:33 PM

Just would like to add. I am not here trying to put Denver down. I am here to help this thread from going to a Cleveland is hell, Denver is 10 times better thread. Thats why I tried to do my post above. I love Denver. Downtown Denver is clean, nice, and fun. Capitol hill was a blast after I moved of my one apartment on 20th st. The souther neighborhoods called Bel-something was beautiful along with Wash Park. I hope you know where I am coming from. Just I see this thread being turned into one of those threads where the positives of Denver and the negatives of Cleveland will be the only things mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver