Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 09:04 AM

7 posts, read 10,044 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking very seriously of relocating from San Diego to Denver. While I love San Diego, the COL, housing prices, and lack of job market has proved to be nothing less than frustrating. It's time for a change I think. I have a couple of friends who live there and have visited several times. One friend in particular keeps urging me to move out there and I'm starting to give into the nag. haha

What I wanted to ask was: 1. How is the job market in Denver? Poor, moderate, or fairly good? 2. I currently pay $1400 for an 800 sq ft 2 bedroom apt. how are costs comparable to that? 3. I guess the winter scares me a bit. I grew up in Phx. Lived in SD for the past 5 years, so winters are pretty non-existent in my life. Will it be a terrible transition? I welcome the thought of having snow for once . 4. Anyone else made this particular move - or if not, what suggestions do you have for me?

Any and all thoughts are welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 10:11 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,121,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior2sdca View Post
I've been thinking very seriously of relocating from San Diego to Denver. While I love San Diego, the COL, housing prices, and lack of job market has proved to be nothing less than frustrating. It's time for a change I think. I have a couple of friends who live there and have visited several times. One friend in particular keeps urging me to move out there and I'm starting to give into the nag. haha

What I wanted to ask was: 1. How is the job market in Denver? Poor, moderate, or fairly good? 2. I currently pay $1400 for an 800 sq ft 2 bedroom apt. how are costs comparable to that? 3. I guess the winter scares me a bit. I grew up in Phx. Lived in SD for the past 5 years, so winters are pretty non-existent in my life. Will it be a terrible transition? I welcome the thought of having snow for once . 4. Anyone else made this particular move - or if not, what suggestions do you have for me?

I think you can find comparable housing here. I pay 1,000 a month for a 700 sq ft 1 bedroom in a semi decent part of town. I'm not sure how you'll do with the winter here. I moved from VA so I wasn't a stranger to snow and cold weather. It might be a bit of a shock for you, but you may love it. Denver is NOT nearly the arctic tundra people make it out to be. Yes, it gets cold and yes it snows, but other parts of the country are much much worse than Denver. There are semi decent days here even in winter. The winter before I moved out my friends were sending me pictures of themselves in shorts on Christmas! And my favorite part of Denver is the constant sunshine. I find the cold days a lot easier to deal with when it's bright and sunny outside!

I'm not sure about the job market. I found a job a year ago fairly easily and most of my friends here found jobs pretty easily too (easy meaning in a couple months of looking). If you tell the board what your education/work experience is like someone may be able to give you more specific info about the job market in that field. Good luck! I've been to San Diego and really enjoyed it, but maybe it's time for a change for you?

Old 08-14-2012, 11:09 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,637,588 times
Quote:

I moved from San Diego at the end of January in 1999. My biggest concern was the snow but once I was here I fell in love with it. I moved here for several reasons. One of the biggest reasons was I wanted to own a house and I thought I would never have that opportunity in San Diego.

The real question for you is what type of work are you looking for? $1,400 a month in rent will get you a nice place here. I rent out my condo unit for $795 and it is just OK.

Good luck on your move!

Old 08-14-2012, 02:56 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,266,123 times
I moved here from Orange County 7 years ago. Winter isn't that bad, but I really don't care for it. You HAVE to watch the weather every day because starting in about mid October through mid May, the weather varies almost violently at times. It can be sunny and 70 and then windy and 10 all in the same week in Winter here On the bright side, when it's cold and snowy, just wait a few days and it'll be sunny and reasonably warm.

To me, San Diego (and coastal OC/LA) is the perfect climate, and I like that it doesn't vary much. But that was really the only positive to living there for me. Summers in Denver are quite pleasant, although this one has been a bit too hot. But at least it's not humid/buggy.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:01 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,945,610 times
Job market: tight.

Why limit yourself to one place if looking for a job ? I understand relocating to allow for a localized job search. But a job search is most likely to be fruitful if you consider opportunities in multiple locations. Networking and informational interviewing might be able to give you some hints of good places to look for work in your field.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:27 PM

I was hoping it is less expensive. That's my main issue. The place I was previously in was probably about 1200 sq feet and we paid $2,200 for it. it was 3 bedroom. A 2,220 rent place in Phoenix is at minimum a 5 bedroom house!

I don't mind the snow. In fact, I'd like to live in a place that has it for once. I've visited back east and up north during winter months and that kind of extreme cold, I wouldn't want to deal with for 6-7 months. From what I hear, it doesn't get like that and the weather fluctuates, which is fine with me. I'm up for a change in weather. It's basically the same weather for 5 years straight, so while I'm spoiled in having the best feeling climate, I'm up for a change. I just didn't want extreme cold and low humidity. I heard Denver was the climate that accommodates that. Plus, I enjoy the city when I come and visit.

My background is diverse. I've worked in education as a teacher 7th and 8th graders, and mostly at the college administration level: finance advising, admissions office, and in accounting. I've been career counseling/guidance counseling for teens. In addition, I've also worked in social work doing case managing also for youth. I'd preferably like to get back into that field or some kind of social field where I can interact with people again. I've worked in the school's accounting department for the past year and I miss the contact with people. I have a bachelor's in crim justice and I've completed some graduate coursework in education but no degree yet.

Hope that helps.

thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I think you can find comparable housing here. I pay 1,000 a month for a 700 sq ft 1 bedroom in a semi decent part of town. I'm not sure how you'll do with the winter here. I moved from VA so I wasn't a stranger to snow and cold weather. It might be a bit of a shock for you, but you may love it. Denver is NOT nearly the arctic tundra people make it out to be. Yes, it gets cold and yes it snows, but other parts of the country are much much worse than Denver. There are semi decent days here even in winter. The winter before I moved out my friends were sending me pictures of themselves in shorts on Christmas! And my favorite part of Denver is the constant sunshine. I find the cold days a lot easier to deal with when it's bright and sunny outside!

I'm not sure about the job market. I found a job a year ago fairly easily and most of my friends here found jobs pretty easily too (easy meaning in a couple months of looking). If you tell the board what your education/work experience is like someone may be able to give you more specific info about the job market in that field. Good luck! I've been to San Diego and really enjoyed it, but maybe it's time for a change for you?
Quote:

Old 08-14-2012, 05:28 PM

352 posts, read 714,217 times
The idea of "being concerned" about living in a snowy winter area seems pretty laughable. Most of the US of A has snow in the winters, it's not like moving to Siberia. BTW, I lived in San Diego (La Mesa) for five years and got real tired of its "perfect climate". I got tired of always getting into a hot vehicle (there never seemed to be any trees to park under) and I just wanted to wear a sweater sometimes. Hey, it's January, can't I at least wear a sweater?

Old 08-14-2012, 06:17 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,945,610 times
Quote:
I just didn't want extreme cold and low humidity.
Well, compared to San Diego, Denver has both extreme cold and very low humidity in the winter, spring, & late fall.

Compared to Minneapolis or Montana, of course, the Denver winters are very easy.

Denver temperatures get colder at night and typically has a few more extreme cold days than most places "back east", but has a lot more nice days throughout the winter.

I'd definitely recommend talking to some people in the fields your interested in the places you're interested to find out more info before taking the plunge of quitting a job and moving (assuming you still have your accounting job).

Last edited by Davros; 08-14-2012 at 06:32 PM..

Old 08-14-2012, 09:11 PM

41 posts, read 85,225 times
I think what you get for $1400/month will depend how close to downtown you want to live. If you're at all concerned about the weather, please come for a visit during January. We moved from Denver to Florida for 9 years. I thought I was sick of the heat, the lack of seasons and could handle the winter again, so we moved back to Denver 2 years ago. We realized that we just can't deal with the winters again. So, we are looking to move to a milder climate. Summers here are amazing, though, and Colorado is very beautiful. Good luck.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:58 AM

oh no. i wouldn't quit my job here without a job there (i did that when i moved from phx to san diego and it was a total nightmare that i never will repeat). my company actually has a Denver office. so I could transfer out there in a different position and then look into a different job when i'm settled.

i've been out to Denver when it's cold and snowing. It really is not something that bothers me. I've been out to Ohio in the height of winter and that kind of cold bothers me. when i say extreme cold, i'm referring to chicago, minneapolis, cleveland cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Well, compared to San Diego, Denver has both extreme cold and very low humidity in the winter, spring, & late fall.

Compared to Minneapolis or Montana, of course, the Denver winters are very easy.

Denver temperatures get colder at night and typically has a few more extreme cold days than most places "back east", but has a lot more nice days throughout the winter.

I'd definitely recommend talking to some people in the fields your interested in the places you're interested to find out more info before taking the plunge of quitting a job and moving (assuming you still have your accounting job).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: