Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:57 AM

2 posts, read 2,901 times

Advertisements

Hello.

In early July, I will be in Denver with my choir from Canada, attending
the GALA Choruses GLBT Choral Festival at the Denver Performing Arts Complex (1400 Curtis Street Denver, CO 80202).

I would like to arrange a social event for my choir in a restaurant at comfortable walking distance from the Arts Complex. There are a few
requirements, and although I realize it won't be able to meet them all,
it would be great to try to find the most ideal match.

1. Near the Arts Complex (walking distance)
2. Can accommodate a party of 25-30 people
3. Has some vegetarian and gluten free dish options
4. Doesn't cost a fortune
5. Is gay owned or gay friendly
6. Has a nice ambiance and interesting food

Thank you very much in advance for the information.
With best regards,

Gianluca
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 12:36 PM

229 posts, read 423,920 times
I would recommend Osterio Marco. Fits just about everything you are looking for. Don't think it's gay owned, but they are super friendly and the vibe is laid back and the prices are right.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,901 times
Many thanks. I will look into that. Take care.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:26 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,411,820 times
I would suggest you look into eating a Udi's Cafe in Downtown Denver http://udisfood.com/cafes/Udi-s-Brea...on-17th-Street. The site is easily walkable from the Arts Complex, just walk up on Curtis. It is also comparatively inexpensive.

They run a chain of cafes, Bakeries and catering operations here in Denver They are also a large retail/wholesale manufacturer of gluten free products. It has just announced that have been acquired by Smart Balance. Udi's Food :: Home If you look at their menu, they offer vegetarian and gluten free options http://udisfood.com/uploads/4f2851ba36bb7.pdf

Gay or not Gay owned? I think that is very interesting and It is your choice of one wanting to patronize a gay business. But why? Are there foods Gays makes better than others? For a restaurant should be judged by the food not by who owns it. I doubt that many businesses would advertising as "Gay Owned"; the connotation would add nothing to the quality of the food and may drive away some clients. In a heavily Gay area such as the Castro neighborhood in San Francisco, It may be done but it probably would be easily assumed by a frequent customer, just as any establishment would establish the goodwill and familiarity of local diners.

To say a associated ethnic restaurant is run by Italians, Mexicans, Jewish etc. would add to the perception of quality and authentic food. However, even if a restaurant was owned by that which you find appealing, does not mean that the operating personnel are of the same persuasion; nor does it mean because the owner is of a certain ethnic group, makes it authentic or of good quality. Judge by the dining experience and leave the discrimination of who is the owner, the sexual orientation and ethnic identity, at the door. For the attitude will not serve you well in dining in America--we are a nation of many, that offers much to all.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 06-06-2012 at 04:55 PM..

Old 06-07-2012, 04:47 PM

143 posts, read 275,609 times
live content: The poster may wish to ensure that everyone in the party is welcomed in a friendly and polite way. Some straight establishments fail to welcome gay clientele, so the poster may be trying to make sure they spend their money somewhere that will.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:56 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,411,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autodidact View Post
live content: The poster may wish to ensure that everyone in the party is welcomed in a friendly and polite way. Some straight establishments fail to welcome gay clientele, so the poster may be trying to make sure they spend their money somewhere that will.
I have never seen or heard of a restaurant establishment in the central core of a sophisticated large city, today, not giving fare treatment to those who they would perceive as Gay, if one can actually perceive one as Gay, for there are many people who are Gay that do not meet that popular stereotype.

In addition, it matter not how the owner is orientated because it is the staff that makes the difference. From my experience in this business, there are more Gay oriented staff in restaurants than many other businesses.

I mentioned the situation today. I know that years past in especially smaller and remote areas, such discrimination has been more prevalent. The OP is coming from Ottawa and I think they believe that Denver is a backwoods western town of the imagination generated by the media of the past. Denver is highly sophisticated and certainly in areas near the Denver Center of the Arts. In addition if one discriminates against Gays, one would not serve a whole part of society from Doctors, Lawyers, Butchers, Bakers, Candle Stick Makers and Indian Chiefs. We should also not forget the Gay cowboys who have Gay rodeos--I bet that Canadian OP did not know that http://igra.com/ and in Denver for many years http://gayrodeohistory.org/GayRodeoHistory.htm

I graduated from The Culinary Institute of America, many years ago, and there were many Gays as fellow students. Now that Culinary Arts is more perceived as a suitable occupation, there are much more as the there are more creative people aspire to the field.

I worked in NYC and there was no discrimination of Gays in the high end establishments where I worked because Gay culture and Gay influence was already firmly established in The Big Apple. Even when I came to Denver I never saw any overt hostility to gays in Downtown establishments of quality. There may have been some in outlying and lower class establishments but I still never saw problems and I would frequently dine with my co-workers, and with some who would be easily perceived as gay because of their outward characteristics.

It is really matters not, because I would be surprised if you can find a restaurant advertising that they are Gay owned.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 06-07-2012 at 10:10 PM..

Old 06-08-2012, 05:39 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,438,717 times
I would recommend yelp, but they haven't added a gay/non-gay button yet for ownership.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:18 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,392,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I have never seen or heard of a restaurant establishment in the central core of a sophisticated large city, today, not giving fare treatment to those who they would perceive as Gay, if one can actually perceive one as Gay, for there are many people who are Gay that do not meet that popular stereotype.

In addition, it matter not how the owner is orientated because it is the staff that makes the difference. From my experience in this business, there are more Gay oriented staff in restaurants than many other businesses.

I mentioned the situation today. I know that years past in especially smaller and remote areas, such discrimination has been more prevalent. The OP is coming from Ottawa and I think they believe that Denver is a backwoods western town of the imagination generated by the media of the past. Denver is highly sophisticated and certainly in areas near the Denver Center of the Arts. In addition if one discriminates against Gays, one would not serve a whole part of society from Doctors, Lawyers, Butchers, Bakers, Candle Stick Makers and Indian Chiefs. We should also not forget the Gay cowboys who have Gay rodeos--I bet that Canadian OP did not know that IGRA – International Gay Rodeo Association and in Denver for many years Gay Rodeo History

I graduated from The Culinary Institute of America, many years ago, and there were many Gays as fellow students. Now that Culinary Arts is more perceived as a suitable occupation, there are much more as the there are more creative people aspire to the field.

I worked in NYC and there was no discrimination of Gays in the high end establishments where I worked because Gay culture and Gay influence was already firmly established in The Big Apple. Even when I came to Denver I never saw any overt hostility to gays in Downtown establishments of quality. There may have been some in outlying and lower class establishments but I still never saw problems and I would frequently dine with my co-workers, and with some who would be easily perceived as gay because of their outward characteristics.

It is really matters not, because I would be surprised if you can find a restaurant advertising that they are Gay owned.

Livecontent
Chill a little, maybe? This aspect to the OP's query was jarring to me at first, but I get it. The poster is not from there area, and unlike actual ethnicities/races, it is still legal in many parts of the US to discriminate based on sexual orientation. There are often stories about wedding services companies, bakeries and what-have-you declining the business of gay patrons. And frankly, we're not all that far from Colorado Springs, which is not exactly a gay mecca, ya know?

It's legitimate to wonder about how welcoming an establishment will be to a large group of gay folks, because on the slim chance that they are not, you've got a big mess on your hands if they turn you away and you have to find a restaurant for a large group on the fly on a Friday or Saturday night. If a restaurant advertises itself as gay-friendly or is known to be gay-owned, that takes that uncertainty out of the equation.

If you've never been to Denver before, it's very easy to make assumptions as to what it might be like. Heck, before I moved out here, my friends back in Jersey were convinced there were cowboys fresh off the range roaming the streets. Before I visited, I was convinced it was a colorless desert environment with rattlesnakes around every clump of sagebrush (don't ask).

Old 06-08-2012, 09:03 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,513,843 times
Check out the Corner Office at the Curtis Hotel. It's a great place and it's practically across the street from the Performing Arts Center. It fits pretty much all of your requirements. The drinks can be pricey but the food is pretty reasonable.

Denver Cuisine | The Corner Office Denver Restaurant

Old 06-11-2012, 10:50 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,231,477 times
OP,

As a gay man, I can tell you that basically anywhere near the Performing Arts Center (or anywhere in central Denver for that matter), is going to be gay friendly. I have gone on multiple dates at dining establishments throughout the downtown area and have never gotten so much as a strange look.

When making reservations, you can always ask the person if their dining establishment is gay friendly, which I can assure you about 99% are. Denver is a very gay friendly city with a large and visible gay community, so you should be just fine. Enjoy your visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver