Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 12:47 PM

5 posts, read 9,149 times

Advertisements

I am a young-20s female moving to Denver. I have a job located in the Denver Tech Center, but would like to rent an apartment in the city. I have read other threads with suggestions for people moving to Denver, but I wanted to see if anyone had specific neighborhood suggestions for me. I'd like to pay under $1000/month. Is it unreasonable to find an apartment in a safe neighborhood with this budget? If not, what neighborhoods would you suggest looking at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 01:20 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default We need more data

1. Where do you live now? City and neighborhood?
2. What do you mean by safe?
3. What attributes of a neighborhood are important to you?

Old 05-11-2012, 03:24 PM

I currently live in a college town, but am originally from a suburb of Chicago.
By safe I just mean I haven't lived in a city for many years, but I know every city has "rougher" areas. I want to be able to walk home alone in the dark without being too worried.
I'm honestly pretty flexible and can make the best of most places, but being in a young neighborhood would be nice. Somewhere I can easily find something fun to do on a weekend.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:16 PM

How much per month for rent?

Old 05-11-2012, 04:25 PM

$1000 max if possible

Old 05-11-2012, 04:29 PM

20 posts, read 92,807 times
Capital Hill. Easy freeway access, young neighborhood, walk or bike to downtown. And you should have no trouble finding a place within your budget

Old 05-11-2012, 04:44 PM

Default Live near I-25

[quote=3lly;24261888 job located in the Denver Tech Center, but would like to rent an apartment in the city[/quote]1. You will spend a lot of time on I-25 commuting.
2. Live as close to I-25 as possible.
3. Some neighborhoods:
Baker
Platt Park
Highland
Jefferson Park
Sunnyside (west of Pecos)
4. PadMapper.com

Old 05-11-2012, 04:55 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_13 View Post
Capital Hill. Easy freeway access, young neighborhood, walk or bike to downtown. And you should have no trouble finding a place within your budget
My first thought as well.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:08 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. You will spend a lot of time on I-25 commuting.
2. Live as close to I-25 as possible.
3. Some neighborhoods:
Baker
Platt Park
Highland
Jefferson Park
Sunnyside (west of Pecos)
4. PadMapper.com
This is a ridiculous choice for a person who is going to work at the DTC. Some are other side of town and require a longer car or public transit commute. Baker and Platt Park make good sense with good public transit and walkable neighborhoods.

The best place to live is not thinking about living so close to I-25 and having to drive, but living close to one of the light rail station on the Southeast Line. The DTC is well served by the rail, with many stations, and buses. You can even take a bus right to your door from the station with the local Call-n-Rides.

With the money you have, you can easily find a nice apartment near one of the rail stations. I would suggest living in and around Denver University at University and Evans. That would give you the excitement and venues of living near a younger crowd of of the University and being in the City of Denver.

You can even consider living in and around the DTC. Some young people consider that the best option with a very short auto commute or by a local bus. There are expanding amenities all and around this area. DTC is a big place and parts are actually in Denver and parts in Greenwood Village. So, where you work within this complex can best decide your place of residence.

If the City of Denver is not your only choice, you could find nice places to live south of the DTC, near one of the those rail station, in Centennial or Lone Tree.

Just this past week, I spend some time at the Street of SouthGlenn in Centennial, at University and Arapahoe, http://www.shopsouthglenn.com/, one of these new urban villages in the suburbs. I was pleasantly surprised by the people walking from different venues--it was safe and exciting. There are apartments located in and around this area. In addition the southern part of the DTC, down Arapahoe, is a quick trip.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 05-11-2012 at 05:19 PM..

Old 05-11-2012, 07:26 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
I second livecontent's suggestions. There actually is a pretty substantial number of mid 20's young professionals who live right in DTC. Downtown will always be there, when you want to go out at night or weekends. You could live in an apartment within walking distance to the light rail station, and use that when you want to go downtown-- but also have a short 5-10min drive to work.

You can definitely find apartments in DTC for $1000/mo. However, with rents going up, that's beginning to be just about the average price for "luxury" apartments in the area, so $1000/mo for both DTC as well as newer buildings around downtown is realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver