Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 11:10 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,644 times

Advertisements

My husband and I decided to rent for a year downtown. I just found out that I'll be commuting primarily to Broomfield (close to US 36 & Interlocken Loop) for work, and I've only driven Denver highways during the middle of the day, so I'm not very familiar with traffic patterns. Is this more of a "reverse commute" where I won't be fighting much traffic? Or do a lot of people commute to Boulder, therefore making this route stink? Google Maps says 26 minutes in normal traffic. For sake of discussion, I'd probably be leaving around the heart of morning rush hour (7:30ish). Not worried about evening rush hour; I typically work late.

I've been living in St Louis for 6 years, where rush hour means adding maybe 5 minutes to my normal commute, and before that I was in Chicago, where I took the train instead of driving because traffic was so awful...I'm guessing Denver will be a happy medium? I've heard from random people that Denver traffic is way worse than they expected for a city that's around the same size as STL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 11:38 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,089 times
I think the traffic here gets pretty nasty during rush hour. I guess it depends on your perspective and where you came from before. I'd guess it would take you a lot longer than normal driving time during rush hour. Maybe twice as long, but I've never done that exact route during rush hour, so I can't say for sure.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:36 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,215,221 times
It's not really a reverse commute, just as many people are commuting to Broomfield/Boulder as commuting from Boulder to Denver. Often going to Broomfield/Boulder is worse though because there's only one way to go and no carpool lane in that direction. Also, the rush 'hour' lasts longer that direction, 36 is clogged longer in the morning westbound than eastbound.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:51 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,644 times
I had no idea there were carpool lanes in Denver. Good info. Sounds like this won't be a very fun drive.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:39 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,215,221 times
Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad drive, by any means, it's just maybe not as quick as you might think since traffic is heavy in both directions. If you can leave home by 7am, great. If you can leave at 8:20am great. If you've got to leave somewhere in between don't expect it to be super quick.

You can use the carpool/toll lane on 25 getting out of Denver until it ends a 1/4 mile or so on to 36 and that will help you out.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:10 PM

48 posts, read 101,953 times
I do this commute everyday. 25 North to 36 is clean and fast, 36 to Sheridan is crowded but moves, but then traffic usually stops or slows at Sheridan, then crawls to Wadsworth(where i exit). Average commute time, leaving DTD between 8 and 8:30am is about 35 minutes. Youre gonna hate it.

Broom to Denver, usually ok until youre on 25 south and hit the 70 exit/20th st exit.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:23 PM

360 posts, read 1,126,483 times
I get through 36 rather quickly but hit it early! Leave Colorado Blvd and I-25 at 6.30 and cruise all the way down 36 to Boulder. If you get onto "The Turnpike" after 7am you have lost your window of opportunity. I used to go to Louisville and arrive by 8, but had a lot more traffic than I do now going to Boulder. LEAVE EARLY!! Also, someone above mentioned you could use carpool/toll lanes, that isn't correct. It is inbound in the morning and outbound in the afternoon.

Snow days are extremely difficult along 36. I suggest using RTD on snowy mornings, but leaving a lot earlier.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:32 PM

12 posts, read 26,998 times
This is my exact issue - is there an alternative route that might be quicker than trudging through the 36 slog to the Wadsworth exit?

I live on Colorado Blvd & 14th, appx. I take Colorado to 270, 270 to 36, 36 to Wadsworth, into Interlocken.

My hours are 8 to 5, and I obviously hit the worst of the traffic both in the morning and afternoon. It's getting pretty frustrating, and I'm looking for some other solutions so I don't go crazy and develop a nasty case of road rage!

Old 04-04-2012, 12:08 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,616,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjm303 View Post
This is my exact issue - is there an alternative route that might be quicker than trudging through the 36 slog to the Wadsworth exit?

I live on Colorado Blvd & 14th, appx. I take Colorado to 270, 270 to 36, 36 to Wadsworth, into Interlocken.

My hours are 8 to 5, and I obviously hit the worst of the traffic both in the morning and afternoon. It's getting pretty frustrating, and I'm looking for some other solutions so I don't go crazy and develop a nasty case of road rage!
Unfortunately there are no good alternatives to your route. You can go other ways if 36 is truly jammed due to accident or snow.

One change you might try, to avoid the truly horrendous exit at Broomfield/287, is to use the 100th/Rock Creek exit, then go west to Wadsworth Pkwy/Co 121 or Simms St, then north, depending on where you need to get to in Interlocken

Last edited by reed303; 04-04-2012 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: more detail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver