Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 11:09 PM

5 posts, read 51,468 times

Advertisements

I want to visit Denver to see if I might want to live there someday. Please keep in mind that I am a 24 year old female (and I don't like to drink or go to bars) when you answer this: what places should I visit within my five days to give me a good feel for what Denver is like?

Also, I don't have a car. Will I need to rent one? Or can I get by via public transportation?

How much money should I expect to spend during my five days there (hotel/motel, rented car or public transportation fees, minimal food since I'm not a big eater, etc.)?

Please include any relevant information.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 07:01 AM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Car?

You will need a car.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:39 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Unless if you're from a small town in Nebraska or something and Denver is the big city lights to you, five days is way too much time to visit Denver only (not including trips to the mountains), especially without a car. I'd be bored out of my mind spending five days doing that. You can pretty much get a good once over of what there is to see in a weekend. Most of the trendy & happening spots of Denver are within a 2-3 mile radius of downtown. Also regretably, the only thing people our age in Denver want to do at night is go drinking at the bars-- if you're not into that there may be better choices.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:08 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,373 times
I agree, Denver is not really enough of a contained, lots going on downtown to keep you occupied for 5 whole days. San Francisco or New York it is not. A car would be very wise, and enable you to see a lot. Things like Red Rocks area, or drive up I-70 to see the mountains, or Golden, or Boulder.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:24 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,026,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KELLERINA View Post
I want to visit Denver to see if I might want to live there someday. Please keep in mind that I am a 24 year old female (and I don't like to drink or go to bars) when you answer this: what places should I visit within my five days to give me a good feel for what Denver is like?

Also, I don't have a car. Will I need to rent one? Or can I get by via public transportation?

How much money should I expect to spend during my five days there (hotel/motel, rented car or public transportation fees, minimal food since I'm not a big eater, etc.)?

Please include any relevant information.

Thank you!
How about $15 a day ($75 for five days) to stay a hostel.
A Five-day RTD unlimited bus/rail pass for $51.25.
Maybe another $100 or $200 for food, shopping and entertainment.

About $300 total and you should have a good time. You'll meet lots of other travelers at the hostel, to visit and do things, see the city with. You absolutely will run out of time, before you run out of things to do in Denver.

Denver International Youth Hostel

http://www.rtd-denver.com/Passes_Ticketbooks.shtml

Old 03-24-2012, 07:23 PM

556 posts, read 1,199,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You will need a car.
if you are just staying in denver you don't need a car and might be better off without one. definitely check out our bikeshare- Denver Bikes | Denver Bike Sharing Program | B-Cycle | bcycle.com which is probbaly the best way to see downtown up close. if you want to explore the area- red rocks, boulder, maybe a trip up to loveland pass to check out the mountains then you will definitely need a car.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:37 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,479 times
What time of year are you planning your visit? What are your interests? Sports, Arts, Concerts, Theatre, outdoor recreation, people watching?

Old 03-25-2012, 02:26 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,026,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You will need a car.
Denver is a fairly major international tourist destination for visitors from Europe and Asian. The majority of them do not use a car when visiting Denver. A lot of foreign language guide books explain how to visit Denver without a car. Most are based on 1. Walking (a concept that many Americans seem to have a problem comprehending). Most all of the cultural facilities are located within walking distances from Downtown. 2. RTD bus routes. 3. Taxicabs. In that order.

All of which proves that you absolutely do not need a car to visit Denver.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:00 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times
I highly doubt tourists from elsewhere just come here and stay downtown unless they are on a business trip or a convention. And I really question the premise of a major tourist destination. The international tourists are just whizzing through Denver on their way to the ski slopes much of the time. Ask people in Europe or Asia and half of them have no idea or concept of Denver as a major city. But mention Colorado and they recognize the ski resorts and the Rocky Mountains.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:28 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KELLERINA View Post
How much $ should I bring
All of your life's savings and more. We will be happy to take it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver