Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 17,393 times

Advertisements

ya I agree it depends ... im in high school and im always in montbello, park hill, downtown, colfax and close to the downing station.. lol Denver has alot of crime... but of course not compared to compton , detroit, harlem E.T.C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 17,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PpcPpcPpc View Post
I'm moving to Denver from St Louis this fall and was wondering about the crime too. Don't go too heavy bragging about being from St Louis if you're calling yourself Lord Chesterfield, though. I grew up in West County and can say that there is nearly zero crime there. I live in South City now and don't see much crime here either (minor property thefts mostly), so I'm hoping Denver will be a breeze.
ya i would expect that because most of the west and south has no crime really but come to the east and u in the ghetto... bullet holes and graffiti is every were in some of the east side neighborhoods and u can easily get shot on martin Luther king blv....but i do get a joy at the crazy crackheads at the monbello parking ride or downing station lol but in the summer its really bad ... im thankful my family moved out to green valley ranch wen i was 3 but im always always out there ( but i do agree its not as bad as othere places in n.y and cali)

Old 10-23-2009, 11:03 PM

177 posts, read 422,304 times
Avoid downtown sushi bars.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:52 AM

3 posts, read 20,564 times
Honestly mnymatt, you haven't got a clue what you are talking about. I know that you think it is cool to be from a dangerous city (but I'm not sure why), and that you think hang out in areas where you can 'easily get shot,' but I doubt you could get shot on MLK if you tried. You mentioned being downtown, as if it is dangerous, when in reality your parents probably couldn't even afford to live there. Also Colfax Ave has a bad reputation but rarely does any violent crime occur around it. And Park Hill? One of the higher-income black neighborhoods in the city. I think you see non-whites and automatically think that the area is dangerous.

There is crime in every city and Denver is no exception, but if you use common sense, there are only a few areas that should be avoided. Somebody mentioned crime rates in Denver being above the national average. This is obviously true because the "national average" includes small towns, rural areas, suburbs, etc. Denver has one of the lowest crime rates in the country when compared with cities of similar size. The vast majority of the people who think Denver has high crime are either those from rural areas (whom I have nothing against) or are white high schoolers who want to hear Denver mentioned in a couple of rap songs (whom I do.)

Old 11-02-2009, 09:26 AM

3 posts, read 13,723 times
Default crime in denver?

let me tell you something. i live in ft myers florida, and i use to live in denver. denver is a very safe place. now here in florida its a different story. very unsafe. denver has the nicest people in the country. its like alot of places. if you are looking for trouble you will find it. but besides that its great. stay away from the points,and north denver thats about it.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:30 PM

66 posts, read 320,806 times
Default Okay well i will give you facts...

Some crime stats in Denver can be very misleading. Denver has a population of roughly 600,000 in the city and about 2.5-3.1 million across the metro area. Its a big city generally speaking. However, a large population in Denver lives in South Denver (Wash Park, University, Cherry Creek, Cpry-Merrill, etc.) where the neighborhoods are all nice and upper scale city living. Hardly any gang problems at all. Also, a large population live in lower east denver (congress park, cheesman park, hale, hilltop, montclair, etc.) which is also very nice and upper scale city living. However montclair and hale are becoming a little more rough in the past 5-10 years. Anyways, in 2004 when denver had 87 murders (a rate of 15.3 per 100k people, the national average is about 5) only 8 murders occured in south denver and lower east denver, which hold roughly 200,000 people of denvers 600,000 population. So the murder rate in lower east denver and south denver is very low. this means that the other areas (north denver, west denver, southwest denver, northeast denver, upper east denver, and southeast denver) had 77 murders occur. I'll break it down by neighborhood and area.

In NORTH DENVER (regis, chaffee park, globeville, west highland, highland, sloan lake, sunnyside, jefferson park, berkeley) there were 10 murders and the population is roughly 60,000 people. the murder rate per 100k was between 16-17 which is high. the area is predominately Latino (mexican-american). Latley, west highland, berkeley, sloan lake are bceoming more gentrified pushing the lower income residents in east wheat ridge and unincorporated adams county.

In WEST DENVER (Lincoln Park, baker, west colfax, villa park, sun valley, barnum west, barnum, valverde) there were 12 murders and the pop. is roughly 50,000 people. the murder rate was about 24 per 100k and the highest of any in the city. Also predominately Latino. latley, baker is becoming more gentrified pushing the low income residents into east lakewood and northeast lakewood.

In SOUTHWEST DENVER (westwood, athmar park, mar lee, ruby hill, harvey park, harvey park south, college view, bear valley, fort logan) there were 17 murders and the pop. is roughly 85,000. the murder rate was about 20 which is also high. Also predominately Latino.

In NORTEAST DENVER (elyria-swansea) there were 6 murders and the pop is roughly 10,000. i wont include a murder rate because the population is this section is low. but i think we all know 6 murders for a neighborhood of 10,000 is a lot. Also predominately Latino.

In UPPER EAST DENVER (five points, cole, clayton, whittier, city park west, city park, north capitol hill, skyland, north park hill, northeast park hill, south park hill, east colfax, montbello) there were 26 murders and the pop. is roughly 140,000 people. the murder rate was between 18-19 which is also very high. African American and Latino predominately. White people are mixed in. CITY PARK & CITY PARK WEST & SOUTH PARK HILL in upper east denver are all relatively nicer than the other neighborhoods. city park and south park hill are predominately white and city parkw est is very mixed these days.

In SOUTHEAST DENVER ( washington virginia, virginia village, indian creek, glendale, goldsmith) there were 6 murders and the pop. is roughly 50,000 people. the murder rate was about 12 which is above average, not really high but now low at all. African American, Latino, White all mixed together.

So Denver has its nicer and lower murder/crime rate areas such as, Lower East Denver and South Denver. It has its higher murder/crime rate but not super high area in Southeast Denver. And, it has its high crime/murder areas in North Denver, West Denver, Southwest Denver, Northeast Denver, and Upper East Denver. with little patches in these areas being relatively decent.

As far as the places not int eh city of denver, heres my take on it. Arvada, Broomfield, Boulder, englewood, brighton, centennial and all southern suburbs are super nice and safe. hardly any crime or murders. the only places not in the city with gangs or murders or crime are Southeast westminster, south thornton, sherrelwood and twin lakes in unincorporated adams county, commerce city, north and west aurora, east wheat ridge/lakeside, edgewater, northeast and east lakewood.

SOUTHEAST WESTMINSTER had all four of westminsters murders and its population is about 40,000. that makes its murder rate about 12. the crime is high but not so high that its unbearable.

SOUTH THORNTON had both (2) of thorntons murders and its population is about 20,000. its murder rate is 10 which is higher but not so bad. I'd say south thornton is more on the scummy and slezzy side than the actual hood.

SHERRELWOOD & TWIN LAKES had 5 murders and the combined pop. is about 25,000 with its murder rate being about 20. its predominately Latino.

COMMERCE CITY had 6 murders and its pop. is about 35,000. its murder rate was about 17-18 and its predominatley Latino as well.

NORTH & WEST AURORA had 12 of auroras 13 murders and the combined population is 80,000 of auroras 300,000. the murder rate was about 15-16. its african american and latino mixed.

EAST WHEAT RIDGE/LAKESIDE had both (2) of wheat ridges murders and the pop. is about 10,000. the murder rate was about 20 for this small section. its now become highly Latino.

EDGEWATER had 2 murders and its pop. is 5,000 in this small neighborhood bordering north denver. the murder rate was about 35 for this small neighborhood. i dont know too many neighborhoods of 5k people that have any murders. its also very high in auto theft and larceny. it sits just north of west colfax ave by north and west denver. its become predominately Latino since the early 2000's.

NORTHEAST & EAST LAKEWOOD had all 6 of lakewoods murders and the combined pop. is roughly 35,000 people. the murder rate was about 17 which is high.

You must remember that lakewood, wheat ridge, westminster, thornton as a whole are really nice. but, these portions of those suburbs are not as nice. they have relatively high crime and homicide.

The murder rates i was referring to are the rates that belong to those sections of the city. it was based on per 100,000 people with the national average being 5 murders per 100k people.

The gang bureau of Colorado reported that there are roughly 110 gangs in Denver with a known 15,000 members. Of the 87 murders in 2004, 39 were gang related and another 19 were drug/criem related.In Greeley there are a reported 25 gangs with 500 members. In Colorado Springs there are a reported 40 gangs with up to 3,000 members. In Pueblo there are a reported 30 gangs with up to 2,000 members.

The Denver Metro Area is just like most all big cities. While not nearly as bad as Detroit, Los Angeles, New York City, Atlanta, New Orleans, Oakland, Philadelphia, etc. Its also worse crime wise than San Diego, San Jose, Salt Lake city, portland, seattle, des moines, jacksonville, and others. its in the middle as far as big cities go. But like i said, the criem stats can be a little misleading when considering its so nice in south denver and lower east denver and so much crappier in north, west, southwest, northeast, southeast and upper east denver.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:22 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,624,826 times
I agree with Zigdank-I also live in Florida and am a native to Denver-Denver does not have half the crime that other big cities have....I stayed away from Lakeside and Montbello and some parts of downtown-(colfax area) as long as people use common sense-lock doors, garages etc...I NEVER had a problem in Denver

Old 08-30-2010, 05:41 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,981,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inskeep303 View Post
Anyways, in 2004 when denver had 87 murders
It's worth pointing out that 2004 was a very unusual year as far as homicide rates is concerned. By comparison, 2008 had 40 murders and 2009 had 38 murders.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:14 PM

66 posts, read 320,806 times
Default Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
It's worth pointing out that 2004 was a very unusual year as far as homicide rates is concerned. By comparison, 2008 had 40 murders and 2009 had 38 murders.
Yes, 87 murders was the most denver has had since the 95 murders in 1993. However, Denver is no stranger do gang violence and murders. Also, Denver Metro Area has one of the highest larceny theft rates for a major city in the USA. Also, Denver does have a high auto theft rate as well. while murder is usually more average or above average. Denver's rape catoegories are also high. while the robberies and assault are about average, for a big city. and burglary is not extremely high rate but its above average. but i'd like to point out more than just one year in the last 15-20 years when Denver had a high murder rate for a city. 1987: 62 murders (16.3), 1989:70 murders (16.7), 1990: 64 murders (15.8), 1991: 69 murders (16.6), 1992: 74 murders(16.3), 1993: 95 murders (20.4), 1994: 81 murders (19.3), 1995: 81 murders (19.1), 1999: 63 murders (12.4), 2003: 63 murders (11.1), 2004: 87 murders (15.4), 2005: 59 murders (10.5). So yes, Denver is not as bad as New Orleans, Philly, Miami, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, etc. But its crime rates are higher than other major cities like prtland, seattle, san jose, san diego, reno, boise, etc. Its in the middle as far as big cities go. Its pretty similar to its fellow southwest USA cities, except for phoenix and las vegas. phoenix and vegas crime is higher than denver's. but albuquerque, tucson, salt lake city, have similar crime rates with denver.

I also want to point out to other posters that denver and colorado as a whole are not part of the mid-west. The states considered part of the midwest are kansas, nebraska, south dakota, north dakota, minnesota, iowa, missouri, illinois, wisconsin, indiana, michigan, and ohio. colorado is also not part of the northwest. the Northwest states are oregon, washington, idaho, wyoming, and montana. So yes, colorado borders the northwest and midwest but its not part of those regions. colorado falls under 3 regions. MOUNTAIN STATES, WESTERN UNITED STATES, and SOUTHWEST UNITED STATES. all states in the west are western united states and there grouped into different regions. the WEST COAST is california. the northwest is oregon, washington, idaho, montana and wyoming. and the southwest is colorado, utah, nevada, arizona, and new mexico. the mountain states are another sub region of the southwest and northwest. mountain states are idaho, montana, wyoming, nevada, utah, colorado, new mexico, and arizona.

Also, texas and oklahoma are also often considered part of the southwest also.

Northwestern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Southwestern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Midwestern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-08-2010, 10:19 AM

299 posts, read 712,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inskeep303 View Post
The Denver Metro Area is just like most all big cities. While not nearly as bad as Detroit, Los Angeles, New York City, Atlanta, New Orleans, Oakland, Philadelphia, etc. Its also worse crime wise than San Diego, San Jose, Salt Lake city, portland, seattle, des moines, jacksonville, and others. its in the middle as far as big cities go. But like i said, the criem stats can be a little misleading when considering its so nice in south denver and lower east denver and so much crappier in north, west, southwest, northeast, southeast and upper east denver.
You provided some facts, but also some conclusions that didn't really correspond to the facts nicely. The one fact that I liked was that crime stats are misleading

My wife is a criminologist and teaches at UCD (how's that for a credential!?) and we looked into this extensively before we moved here. Details aside, we found that:

1) Like most big cities Denver has crime, bad neighborhoods, safer and less safe areas, and the usual problems with an urban areas.

2) Compared to most cities of comparable size, Denver is very safe. There is simply less crime here.

3) What crime there is in Denver tends to be less violent and more property.

But you really don't need the stats to see this - drive around. I'm from LA and a 'bad' neighborhood here isn't nearly is striking as a bad neighborhood there. Less gunshots, less police activity, less everything.

Denver is a fairly safe city for it's size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver