Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 03:13 PM

6 posts, read 26,077 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I know that it is funny that there are others traveling in October and luckily, I was able to see those questions and answers.

My question is what is there for us to do over a weekend. It will be our 12th anniversary and as I was searching for somewhere to go, I came across Denver because of those gorgeous mountains! I asked dh about it, and he is 100% onboard.

Where is the best place to stay for just the two of us? I was looking at the Marriott Denver (??) close to the airport. I figure that it is a good place/location so that we can get back to the airport on the day we depart since it would be so early in the AM.

Is there anything romantic for us to do? I am sure there is, I just cant find it. As you can see, we do not get away ALONE very much. Last year we did go to the Food & Wine Festival at DisneyWorld. That was awesome as well, but I wanted to take a shorter flight which Denver is about 1.50 hours.

I can not lie, part of me wants to take the kids (Ages 9 & 3), but my sister says No way! because we need to do this by ourselves.

Any assistance would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 03:49 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,066,237 times
I'd stay downtown in the historic Old Oxford Hotel, right in the middle of everything. Otherwise, you'll spend time every day / night driving into town from the airport hotel, and driving back out each evening. You'll just need an extra 45 minutes to get to the airport on departure day.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:01 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,062,612 times
I would stay in Downtown Denver also, nothing really romantic about a hotel near the airport. You can check reviews on Trip Advisor for Hotels and even try bidding on a 4 or 5 star on Priceline.com for a deal, betterbidding.com will give you ideas on the prices people have bid and won with.

What weekend are you planning on coming so we can suggest things to do?

Old 09-05-2011, 06:06 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I would stay in Downtown Denver also, nothing really romantic about a hotel near the airport. You can check reviews on Trip Advisor for Hotels and even try bidding on a 4 or 5 star on Priceline.com for a deal, betterbidding.com will give you ideas on the prices people have bid and won with.

What weekend are you planning on coming so we can suggest things to do?
Agreed. Nothing at all to do out by the airport. Stay downtown or elsewhere....What about Estes Park? October is a pretty time of year here (just be prepared in case it snows). Not too far away and you can always stay at the Stanley....which is a gorgeous setting...

Stanley Hotel

Old 09-05-2011, 08:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
The Brown Palace is an old hotel downtown. I don't mean it's not modern; it's just been around a while. The Boulderado in Boulder is another neat place. If you're flying out here, you might as well go someplace nice. You can take a shuttle from the airport to Denver or Boulder, no need to rent a car.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:22 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,602,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Agreed. Nothing at all to do out by the airport. Stay downtown or elsewhere....What about Estes Park? October is a pretty time of year here (just be prepared in case it snows). Not too far away and you can always stay at the Stanley....which is a gorgeous setting...

Stanley Hotel
I was going to suggest Estes Park or Boulder, somewhere closer to the mountains. While you can see mountains in Denver, you aren't really in them. You could stay in either of those towns for a few days and have the last night at the airport hotel for your morning flight.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:54 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,504,903 times
There are some nice Bed and Breakfasts in Morrison and Evergreen also.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:07 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,062,612 times
Someone on Trip Advisor suggested this B & B in Evergreen recently, it looks beautiful. Luxury Accommodations at the Highland Haven Creekside Inn in Evergreen, Colorado

Old 09-05-2011, 09:39 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,199,057 times
Denver is out on the plains, not in the mountains.

As others have suggested, if it's the mountains you'd like to be in ... then Estes Park is a possible location. But:

For my money, I'd head up to Vail, where there will be post summer/pre winter ski deals on lodging and food, the town is fairly quiet, and there's gorgeous vistas and hiking and trails to explore. It's 100 miles from Denver, so not an especially daunting time on the road to reach.

You can take a shuttle from DIA to Vail's Transportation Center, so a car isn't needed for your trip, and you'll have the local bus service to use at no charge to get around the area.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Denver is out on the plains, not in the mountains.

As others have suggested, if it's the mountains you'd like to be in ... then Estes Park is a possible location. But:

For my money, I'd head up to Vail, where there will be post summer/pre winter ski deals on lodging and food, the town is fairly quiet, and there's gorgeous vistas and hiking and trails to explore. It's 100 miles from Denver, so not an especially daunting time on the road to reach.

You can take a shuttle from DIA to Vail's Transportation Center, so a car isn't needed for your trip, and you'll have the local bus service to use at no charge to get around the area.
Oh yes, for Oct (aspen colors in early OCT) do this ^^^^ (Or Steamboat / Aspen / Glenwood Springs / Gunnison). I like the idea of using the Transit options and spend more time talking / enjoying each other. You could rent a car for a day and take the Independence Pass / Aspen loop and finish off with a dip in Glenwood Springs pool (cheap after 8PM), and return to Vail.

If the kids come (I trust not)... then consider something like Waunita Hot Springs Ranch - Guest Ranch and Bed & Breakfast - Gunnison, Colorado

We were there one OCT weekend and had the WHOLE place to ourselves (no kids ).

As a 28 yr Colorado resident and extensive traveler, I personally would have nothing to do with Den. (Would consider flying into Colo Springs).

As mentioned DEN is a 'fer piece from the Mtns. (pretty close to Kansas tho).

Colorado Springs has a beautiful setting, nice hotels + Garden of the Gods. BUT... is NOT set IN the Mtns.

For REALLY quite romantic Oct weekend, we have done Winter Park. (We were the ONLY folks in an entire Lodge, it was old and fun (they let us pick any room we wanted (as did Waunita). We have had some GREAT anniversaries in Colo. Tried one in DEN, it was not something to remember.

For Estes Park, The Stanley Hotel is a pretty nice / fun / historic / & beautiful stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver