Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 08:16 PM

109 posts, read 278,648 times

Advertisements

I recently found an article about the 10 worst cities in America for congestion based upon annual hours of delay lost per average commuter. I was suprised to find Denver at #9 with 47hrs, ahead of both Atlanta and Seattle. Sure Denver traffic can be pretty bad at times, but there are several cities I think have worse traffic. 47 hrs is not that much and seems to be a reasonable figure for Denver, but for Atlanta ans Seattle to have 44hrs smells a little fishy . What do you think?

http://mobility.tamu.edu/ums/congestion_data/tables/denve.pdf (broken link)

Cities with the worst traffic congestion - Mar. 4, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 08:37 PM

152 posts, read 392,335 times
I believe it! When you have an urban area with almost 3 million people that still has two lane freeways, what do you expect? Couple that with constant lane closures and accidents and you have chaos. People here will say that our traffic isn't nearly as bad as LA. I would hope not seeing as the LA area has 5 times the population of Denver. The fact that people are willing to mention LA traffic and Denver traffic in the same sentence tells me that there's a problem!

There are no major plans for freeway widening, so as people continue to move here, the problem will only worsen. The Denver area is expected to have 4.5 million people in less than 25 years. Something needs to be done! Just adding light rail lines will not do.

This town desperately needs more rail lines and to at least double freeway capacity on the C-470, the 270, the 36, and the portion of the 25 through Thornton and Northglenn!

Old 08-08-2011, 09:25 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,761,775 times
Denver's traffic is child's play compared the LA. When my realtor took me out during rush hour in Denver I was worried about a 90 minute drive to go 20 miles.. I soon found out that what Denver calls bad traffic is the same as the 405 in offpeak hours

Old 08-08-2011, 09:27 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Washington D.C. traffic makes Denver traffic look like a small town. Denver traffic doesn't even compare. I'm not saying that Denver isn't bad, but it really is not more than to be expected for a city of its size.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:40 AM

531 posts, read 1,146,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Transplant View Post
There are no major plans for freeway widening, so as people continue to move here, the problem will only worsen. The Denver area is expected to have 4.5 million people in less than 25 years. Something needs to be done! Just adding light rail lines will not do.
No major plans? Have you not seen the East I-70 EIS? This is a huge plan to do some major upgrading of the I-70 viaduct. A viaduct that continues to cost C-DOT millions a year in maintenance costs and desperately needs replacement. The issue is funding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Transplant View Post
This town desperately needs more rail lines and to at least double freeway capacity on the C-470, the 270, the 36, and the portion of the 25 through Thornton and Northglenn!
You can't just add more lanes to freeways and expect capacity to increase. There are congestion points and bottlenecks that need to be relieved. For example, much of I-270's congestion could be relieved by upgrading the substandard Vasquez Blvd interchange.

A friend of mine was working with a civil engineering firm on widening C-470 to six lanes (that's three in each direction). The issue again was funding. The replacement of bridges cost too much.

The Boulder Turnpike needs more done than just more lanes. Managed bus lanes the whole length to Boulder are in the works. This is necessary due to the huge amount of bus traffic along the corridor. Turn it back into a toll road and we might be able to afford widening.

I'm hoping Fastracks helps relieve some congestion, or at least convinces some folks that sitting in traffic isn't worth their time. After all, it is the only major infrastructure project going in the area right now.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:29 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
This has to factor in snowstorms, like when it takes two hours to go up Santa Fe from Hampden to I-25.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:15 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMike View Post
No major plans? Have you not seen the East I-70 EIS? This is a huge plan to do some major upgrading of the I-70 viaduct. A viaduct that continues to cost C-DOT millions a year in maintenance costs and desperately needs replacement. The issue is funding.

You can't just add more lanes to freeways and expect capacity to increase. There are congestion points and bottlenecks that need to be relieved. For example, much of I-270's congestion could be relieved by upgrading the substandard Vasquez Blvd interchange.

A friend of mine was working with a civil engineering firm on widening C-470 to six lanes (that's three in each direction). The issue again was funding. The replacement of bridges cost too much.

The Boulder Turnpike needs more done than just more lanes. Managed bus lanes the whole length to Boulder are in the works. This is necessary due to the huge amount of bus traffic along the corridor. Turn it back into a toll road and we might be able to afford widening.

I'm hoping Fastracks helps relieve some congestion, or at least convinces some folks that sitting in traffic isn't worth their time. After all, it is the only major infrastructure project going in the area right now.
The key word here is "funding", and a lack of it. We're in a low tax state and you get what you pay for. So we get very little in infrastructure upgrades. I doubt they'll widen the 70 east of downtown in the next ten years, since that will cost so much. I think they're still struggling to find the funding to widen the 225 from Mississippi to Iliff, so leaving that bottleneck basically makes all the widening north and south of it worthless.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:37 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,108,703 times
Still being kinda new to Denver, I made the mistake of taking 6th ave (from Lakewood) to I-25 south around 5:30 PM. Whoops, won't make that mistake again. LOL

Denver's highway system seems pretty screwy. Plenty of east/west highways, but not many choices for north/south. it's almost like you're forced to sit in the parking lot that is I-25 during rush hour it you want to get from downtown to the southern suburbs.

And I definitely don't miss good ol' 495, capital beltway, in DC. Anybody who has lived/visited there knows what I'm talking about LOL.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:27 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,606,173 times
i posted this in another thread ,but i think it should also be in this one.Texas U-turn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-09-2011, 02:34 PM

109 posts, read 278,648 times
@skins_fan82 The first time i took that route the ramp from eastboud 6th ave to southbound I-25 took 15 min.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver