Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 06:39 PM

385 posts, read 1,576,711 times

Advertisements

BRAVO, JazzLover....very well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 06:42 PM

Heard on the Denver local news this week that bankrupty's (sp) in Denver are up 70% over last year.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:53 PM

What is a short sale home and REO?
Thanks!

Old 09-07-2007, 07:00 PM

Formercalifornian...I really enjoy reading your post.
Very well written informative.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:27 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,496,737 times
Statistics on sales, as they are reported in the media, don't tell the whole story. I learned a trick from a fellow who was very adept at stock market analysis--what he taught me I think also applies to the real estate market.

He said that you have to look at prices AND sales volume. He said if sales prices are still increasing, but sales volumes are weakening, it's time to start worrying about a correction. The sure sign (and usually too late to escape it) is when declining sales prices are accompanied by high sales volume, indicating forced or panic selling of an investment rapidly declining in value.

In relatively illiquid "investments" like real estate, quite often it takes a while before a slackening market translates into price declines. Sales volume usually starts to tank first. Then comes the price declines, followed by increased panic and distress sales. That happened just like that in Colorado in the early 1980's. In some parts of the state, the price declines lasted for years, the "bottom-fishers" finally starting to buy up property and stablize the markets in the middle of the decade. There are a lot of people in Colorado now (either too young or transplanted) that don't remember the drubbing a lot of people took in that real estate debacle back in the 1980's. A banker friend of mine who lived through it made this cryptic comment to me the other day, "Well, ****, I guess we're gonna get to go through it again. I wanted to be retired by the 'next time.' I didn't make it."

Old 09-08-2007, 08:39 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,015,483 times
Jazzlover wrote:
Statistics on sales, as they are reported in the media, don't tell the whole story.
I might add that Statistics on sales, as they are reported in the media merely tells the story that those in control want told, and to hell with the truth and/or what's really going on.

Great post by the way...Another ACE for you.

blessings...Franco

Old 09-08-2007, 03:57 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,291,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Just bought, go a screaming deal. Was looking at a house for 229k two months ago, ended up taking my offer at 210K appraised at much higher. Yes I know I might have been better to wait, but if you intend to live in a house for 7 years, even if it goes down for a little while, it will always go back up. The more supply drops and demand rises the higher it goes. Personally, If prices values drop, Im going to challenge my property taxes. If they go up, I hope it keeps up with the other homes in the neighborhood. It was tough sitting on the sidelines waiting, renting. But I spend 2000 renting, and saved 20,000 on the house. 18000 dollar net. 9000 a month aint bad. Now lets just hope I don't lose my job in the next few years and have to move out of the area. I don't want to leave Colorado, Gods counry, Home of the Denver Broncos (are you guys sick of hearing that yet)?
i agree if you plan on being around for that long, you probably will do fine, and THEN will have made a killing in this market (you haven't made a killing in this market until you sell the place for a concrete profit, right?).

Old 11-07-2007, 03:33 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,545,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Neumann Homes Inc. will auction 49 properties in suburban Denver on Oct. 3.

The auction includes 15 SFHs, 8 condo's and 26 homesites. The three communities involved are: Village at Harmony Park at 12901 Harmony Park Drive in Westminster; Mountain Shadows at 5850 Twilight Ave. in Firestone; and Serenity Ridge at 7245 S. Millbrook Court, in Aurora. Properties are open for viewing 1-4 PM on Saturdays & Sundays; Sept. 15-16; 22-23; 29-30. Story at: The Denver Post - Builder to auction 49 Denver-area properties

I haven't seen this method used in some time. I suspect the builder needs to get something for the properties to service the debt being carried or even to stave off bankruptcy, but I'm speculating. IMO, the auction is a sign that the current shakeout is affecting some firms quite a bit. Not sure if this is just a ploy (I've seen it before) or if the builder really is desperate and will take any offer. Will be interesting if someone has the inside skinny on what's happening.

s/Mike from back east
Your speculation was right on!
Neumann in Chapter 11 :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Business (http://www.suntimes.com/business/614868,neumann102207.article - broken link)

Old 11-07-2007, 04:08 PM

26,233 posts, read 49,118,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
Your speculation was right on!
Neumann in Chapter 11 :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Business (http://www.suntimes.com/business/614868,neumann102207.article - broken link)
Silent But Deadly 78, thanks for remembering me. I manage to get it right once in a while, must be 60 years of experience and observation. If only I could be 21 again, know what I know NOW, and with my current finances, oh what a time I'd have....

Old 11-07-2007, 04:53 PM

43 posts, read 206,284 times
Default Short & REO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddieClaire View Post
What is a short sale home and REO?
Thanks!

A short sale is a sale where the bank has agreed to accept less than what is owed on loan. An REO (Real Estate Owned) means the bank has taken over the house. Used to be an REO might still be near market value, but have when things slow down they drop price to get out of the house.
Problem with REO's is while price might be lower, fico and down payment requirements are much higher which most buyers may not qualify for.
Realtors are doing a disservice to their clients buy dropping prices to compete against REO's.
A market price home may be easier to qualify for than the REO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver