Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,716 times

Advertisements

I live in Centennial (the SE part though, not Littleton) and I really like it. We are in the Cherry Creek School Dist. (one of the best in the state!) and I would say the average resident is upper middle class.

But, Centennial is a new city - only a few years old - so there are some grwoing pains with utilities, services, etc. They have to contract all those things out right now, so street plowing, etc is not always the greatest. Still, its a great area, with lots of growing going on. We live by the new Southlands Shopping Center and its really nice there. Good luck on your move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 03:33 PM

156 posts, read 946,995 times
A lot of Centennial was Littleton recently. Unincorporated Arapahoe county that was re-zoned

Old 08-07-2007, 04:36 PM

92 posts, read 473,457 times
Ok. That makes sense. Are there a lot of families with young children? Are there lots of parks? From what I've read it looks great. What about a commute to Denver? Hubby would work downtown on 17th street.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:58 PM

11,827 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwk722 View Post
A lot of Centennial was Littleton recently. Unincorporated Arapahoe county that was re-zoned
Clarification - Centennial incorporated some unincorporated parts of Arapahoe County. The mailing address was Englewood, not Littleton.

Nothing was re-zoned. Zoning is a different animal.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:00 PM

If hubby like public transportation you could live near light rail or the Broadway bus...the bus would drop him off close to Bankersville & Lawyertown on 17th.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Clarification - Centennial incorporated some unincorporated parts of Arapahoe County. The mailing address was Englewood, not Littleton.

Nothing was re-zoned. Zoning is a different animal.
Right, but... I lived in Littleton and my address was changed to Centennial.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleborn View Post
Ok. That makes sense. Are there a lot of families with young children? Are there lots of parks? From what I've read it looks great. What about a commute to Denver? Hubby would work downtown on 17th street.
There are some nice parks all over.
Traffic towards downtown is bad, bumper to bumper even 10 years ago when I used to do it, (going down University blvd or I25 from Belleview). Now its only gotten worse.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:16 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
Centennial is just a few years old. It all used to be simply unincorporated Arapahoe County, and addresses would say "Littleton", "Englewood", "Aurora" depending on which post office was handling the particular subdivision.

A few years ago, a very aggressive neighboring suburb (Greenwood Village) was threatening to annex out only the sales-tax generating commercial areas from the county, essentially starving the unincorporated residential areas of any funds. GV did manage to grab some of the plum sales tax areas around I-25 and Arapahoe Road before the county citizens could get their act together and put a to stop Greenwood Village's further expansion. The only way to do it was to create a new city (Centennial), since one city cannot be forcibly annexed by another. It's a good thing that the citizens were successful, or Arapahoe County would have ended up in a real fiscal nightmare. The disadvantage is that now the citizens of Centennial have to work to fund city services with the remaining tax base, which is still weak due to GV's initial annexation.

That history aside, Centennial doesn't at the current time have much of a mentality of a city, since its creation was more defensive than anything. The subdivisions tend to exist on their own, and subdivisions close to, say Littleton tend to think of themselves as "Littleton", those close to Aurora tend to think of themselves as Aurora, etc

What Centennial does have, in parts, is a nice, central location in commuting to Tech Center jobs (and beyond). By avoiding the dreaded C-470, Centennial residents can shorten their commute to the major employment centers (DTC and downtown Denver) over other locations (i.e., Littleton, HR, Castle Rock, etc).

Old 08-09-2007, 12:37 PM

Centennial's new eco-devo chief focusing on retail, as reported by the Denver Business Journal, the City of Centennial has a new economic development manager who wants to focus on retail and economic growth. Corri Spiegel was previously the economic development manager for Goodyear, Arizona, a suburb of Phoenix. According to Centennial Mayor, Randy Pye "she has a proven track record of attracting quality development to a city." Spiegel said she's going to focus on bringing attractive retail to Centennial, and will work closely with mall developers and city officials to keep the Southglenn Mall project moving.
Centennial's new eco-devo chief focusing on retail - The Denver Business Journal:

Old 09-28-2007, 09:32 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Default Willow Creek Neighborhood in Centennial

Anyone here familiar with Willow Creek in Arapahoe County? My husband and I have been researching neighborhoods near his office in the DTC, and we thought this area had lovely character...even for a neighborhood built in the 70's.

Any information (good, bad, or neutral) is appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver