Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2011, 01:15 PM

3 posts, read 5,980 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, here's my situation: I've lived in PDX for over 25+ years, and am now in my early 40's. I'm a professional, with a master's degree in public health/health administration, with experience in project managment, marketing (market research and collateral pieces) and general health care/outreach. I'm single, and have noticed that finding a single professional man in Portland is hard to come by. Politically I'm more conservative, than liberal, and am republican. Although I don't mind liberals, Portland is too far left leaning for my taste. The weather here is truly as bad as people say, 8-9 months of gloom and rain, but our summers really are near perfect. Approx 3 weeks out of the month is rain from Oct-May, and when it's not raining it's overcast much of the time--sometimes looking like it's dark at 3 in the afternoon. The last two years Spring has been even worse with the occasional sunny day being even more rare. The job market here is over 10% unemployment, and PDX is kinda known for being anti business/friendly. If you do have a job, many are underemployed, and after 5 years of being used in my position I gave my notice for my job 3 days ago--yes, in this economy!! There are many other things that are cool about PDX but at this point in my life some of my priorities are 1) a sunnier climate--I have mold allergies, and am so mentally drained from the weather we have here, 2) finding a decent job with career advancement potential, and 3) the possibility of actually meeting a good man that isn't gay, which Portland attracts, along with the ever increasing bum population. I've been researching for a few months different places to live and my top choice now is the Denver area, targeting late Sept/Oct to move. Since we wait for 9 months in Portland for summer I'm going to enjoy it while working on my other plans. My questions are:

1) With my background I'm hoping to find a decent job within 3-6 months. Anyone know the job market for my background, targeting the health care industry, but it doesn't have to be. Is this a reasonable time frame? I'm hoping to start sending out resumes now, but may make the move anyway to have a CO address. I will be doing online writing of health and wellness articles for some income until I find a position.

2) Location wise I would prefer to be closer to downtown, and will be looking for an apt/loft to rent. Your housing does seem to be more reasonable than here. I will have some rental income (I have a house and condo in PDX) to also help with my living expenses but unless I have a firm job lined up would like to stay in the $700-$800 range, is that possible? Also, since I'm single I obviously want it to be safe! Are there areas that I should avoid?

3) How's the dating scene for a single woman like me? Any insight? Are people in general easy to meet, and are they friendly?

4) Is it likely to find a more centrist political viewpoint, than the far left that's dominant here?

4) In PDX we are coffee people, have some good restaurants, wine bars with great wines from the region, and microbreweries of course. How's Denver compare to that?

5) Since I really haven't been to Denver outside of the airport I would like to come for a few days to check out the vibe etc before I uproot myself and relocate. Any tips on things that I should make a note to see and visit?

Thanks so much for any replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 04:40 PM

235 posts, read 756,139 times
Having lived in Portland for my adult years, and visited and soon to be moving to Denver I might be able to help a bit. My wife and I found a place in Capitol hill. This place seems to be borderline Mississippi district mixed with Hawthorne shops and even a bit nob hill. Very urban, seemed safe enough when I visited. Definitely seems to be "the place" place to move in Denver right now. There is Some homeless panhandling, but not so much as Portland, china town. As far as renting goes, your price range will find you quite a decent selection in capitol hill, if you go with the smaller complex's or a duplex. In other desirable city spot it appears to be a lot more I see some times studios for $600, but to be honest I think the neighbor hood has good parts, and bad parts, so I do not know what from what. The people seem mixed with professionals, college kids, blue collar types and people quite a bit of those living below poverty level. Capitol hill has pretty much what you are looking for, the people seem to be made up of 75% transplants, very talkative. within 5 mins of being in town, I was able to start conversation with a stranger. Portland people seem to be a bit too passive. Lots of clubs and dating groups, Denver has quite a bit going on, and although we will miss Portland, Denver seems to be bursting with new exciting things to explore and learn. I wish I could offer more info, but I hope the little bit might help.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:52 PM

339 posts, read 1,287,693 times
I hated Portland. I stayed for less than a day and turned right back around. 1st time to Oregon last month and Portland welcomed me with rain, ridiculous early closing hours, hard to book hotels, bad business sense...Denver is much better in comparison, but not too far off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portlandwet View Post
3) How's the dating scene for a single woman like me? Any insight? Are people in general easy to meet, and are they friendly
Are you White, Black, Asian or Hispanic? Because that's going to be the determining factor of how easy it is to date in this town...

Old 06-11-2011, 09:02 PM

Thank you, that does help a lot! I've heard of Capitol hill by perusing these forums, and it sounds like my kind of neighborhood--I love Mississippi and nob hill, and Hawthorne areas. I live in S. waterfront now, after downsizing from a house in Lake Oswego, and have really enjoyed the condo/close to town lifestyle. I will have to give up my condo with a great river view, and will miss Portland, and definitely family and friends here--but also think Denver seems to offer more of what I am looking for right now. It's exciting to be able start a new chapter in life and experience everything that a new environment has to offer!

Old 06-12-2011, 01:50 PM

I'm white, and would prefer to date the same. Would that make a difference?

Old 06-12-2011, 04:08 PM

704 posts, read 1,793,272 times
I think you'd probably find Denver to be a much better fit than Portland. I found Portland to be a very different city that is only vaguely similar to Denver because it's also a great city for the outdoors.

The health industry is probably the one industry that is not subject the wild swoons in the economy that we've been experiencing. So I'm not sure you'll have an extraordinarily difficult time finding a job--although it's not my industry so I could be wrong.

I can't speak much to the dating or wine bar scene, but I think you'll find that the people in Denver are probably more your "type" than those in Portland. Politically and economically I've pretty sure you'll find it a lot closer to what you're looking for. Have a visit and see what you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: