Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2006, 07:54 AM

2 posts, read 5,034 times

Advertisements

I'm a Massage Therapist considering relocation from Boston.
I have heard that the Massage Discount places have had a negative impact on the local Massage Therapists being able to make a living in this profession.
I am looking for comments from the clients side, as well as non-discount Therapists. Are there really any clients that will trade their experienced therapist for a cheaper one? You always get what you pay for, personally I would hate to feel like I just threw $ 39.00 out the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2006, 08:14 AM

11,834 posts, read 34,472,898 times
personally, i found a good one, and I'll stick with her as long as I can. Same with my other service providers. I have been seeing my dentist for 15 years, the vet for 11, my eye doctor for 11....Once you find someone who cares about the outcome for you....

Old 08-25-2006, 07:58 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,893,947 times
BodyWork -

A very successful physical therapist in private practice in Newton, MA gave me this advice years ago, when I was her patient. It's been invaluable.

She wanted to branch out on her own, so mailed a brochure about her services, a short questionnaire with yes/no questions (asking about direct patient referrals) & a postage paid envelope to 50 Boston doctors. She decided that w/20 positive responses, she could go into private practice, got them & has been in biz for 15-yrs. Note: she suggests enclosing a postcard or a "yes/no" check-off questionnaire so it's quick & easy for the receiver.

In the 90's, I was considering moving to FL to do self-employed holistic work. With her advice, I wrote my own brochure using MS Publisher, found my mailing list by going to yahoo yellow pages & printed it w/MS Excel. My q's were, e.g., "After reading my resume, would you be interested in referring patients to my office?" & "Would you be interested in me working out of your office?". I mailed them to 100 massage clinics/chiropractors/yoga studios. I had 38 positive responses at $1/mailing (including paper/ink cartridges/postage). This gave me a great opportunity to test the waters before jumping in & moving.

So, perhaps you can do something similar in Denver? As a start, perhaps mailing to high-end spas or even large companies, who sometimes hire LMT's & even hairdressers to come in once/mo for the day for employees, will get your foot in the door, before you branch out on your own. I know a woman who teaches aerobics at large co's during the mornings & another who teaches yoga & they both make a nice living. The former secured her jobs by pounding the pavement & charming companies (this began in the '80's when this was unheard of in corporate America). All you need is 1 job & once they see how good you are, I'm sure corporate referrals will gain you further clients. The latter worked in the corporate world, had a back injury, had to leave work, healed herself thru yoga, took teacher training & returned to work in the corporate environment (thru her former office contacts) by helping others to destress/stretch/prevent injuries thru yoga. Her selling point was her own healed body, as they'd seen her pain firsthand. She began at 1 office & it built from there. Your options are limited & you can check into others - hair salons, health clubs, hotels, B&B's, etc. I had a great massage therapist in Seattle who was affiliated with local B&B's/hotels & she was doing quite nicely.

Lastly, I printed my questionnaire on bright yellow paper as I wanted it to stand out, present a happy image & thought bright, sunny FL & yellow would go hand in hand. My brochure was cream with matching envolopes with Raphael's angels, as I thought this went hand in hand with healing (I am a Reiki Master Teacher & have 1/2-dozen certifications in various modalities). Also, my PT told me to put a headshot on my brochure as people will see "you look friendly & professional".

In any event, don't place all your stock in what one person told you, as they may be addressing their own personal experience & you may find it's far different after mailing 50 brochures. Maybe you just need to target another audience & that will make all the difference in the world? That $50 for 50 mailings will be well-spent & supply you with some answers to help you better decide, just within weeks!

Best of luck... Baltic_Celt

Old 08-27-2006, 09:05 AM

2 posts, read 5,034 times
Default Wow, thank you so much...

...to both, 2bindenver and Baltic Celt! Thank you so much for taking the time. This is great advice. I think I read the entire Forum when I first found it. I have never set foot into Colorado, but feel like I have learned so much already. Just the fact that there are people like you that take the time to help someone they don't even know puts Denver in a very good light! I like it already!
I am at the very beginning of my search to find a beautiful place to live and BE.
I AM a Massage Therapist, it's not just something I do. Bodywork has been the most incredible addition to my life and if I should ever hit the lottery, I will give bodywork for free. I have built a very steady clientele in the 2 years since I graduated. My gut feeling is that I shouldn't have any problems doing the same in Denver, but it's really great to have the opportunity to bounce my thoughts off someone that actually lives there.
I REALLY appreciate your efforts. I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions in the future.
Bodywork
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver