Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 09:53 AM

18 posts, read 80,762 times

Advertisements

I have just accepted a job in Arvada and am looking to move to the area. I like access to downtown but would like a neighborhood w/ trees. I like to use my car as little as possible and would like to ride my bike. Does this fit highlands description? I want access to natural foods stores etc. as well. I have been warned against anything btwn Federal and Sheridan and highlands is close to this. Anyone know if Highlands is safe, fun place to live for a single 28 year old female?
THanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 12:32 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
East Highlands would be walkable to downtown Denver, and West Highlands is bikeable to downtown Denver. As for natural foods, the new Sunflower Market in West Highlands which opened there has natural food at great prices. In East Highland, Vitamin Cottage is right across the highway on Platte Street. I just went to the new Sunflower to check it out the other day, though I usually go to their original location on South Colorado Boulevard. Very nice natural foods store, unbelievable prices (I'll never go to Whole Foods again!)

About the only disadvantage of highlands is housing prices. Five years ago, Highlands was a steal compared to Central Denver, but the prices have shot up astronomically since then. Some of the neighborhoods around Highlands like Sloans Lake, Jefferson Park, and Berkeley are more affordable.

As for staying away from Federal and Sheridan, that's nonsense, at least north of Colfax. In Denver many of the main boulevards are a bit more unkempt than the neighborhoods behind them, but whoever told you that doesn't know the area well. Highlands is relatively safe for a city neighborhood. Now, south of Colfax may be a different story, but that's a different part of town.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:49 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Default I live in Arvada near highlands

Tfox has given you very good advice. I know the area well as I live in Southeast Arvada, East of Sheridan. I agree that the area between Sheridan and Federal, north of Colfax are not the same as south of Colfax. I live very close to the Highland area of Denver, up near Tennyson when it goes in to Arvada. This area is slated for a large regional park in Adams County and a rail commuter line will be built with a station 1/3 mile from my house. The Highland area of Denver is a fast and up coming area. It reminds me of the building and excitement in the Washington Park area of Denver, 30 years ago but is bigger with more parks and lakes. I also just visited the new Sunflower Market on the old Elitch Amusement Park on 38th Ave. This is an extension of the development happening in Wheat Ridge on 38th. I was surprised by the tremendous growth of rebuilt homes and new condos around Highland, West Highland, Berkley and Regis neighborhoods I saw young couples pushing baby strollers with the dog in tow, older retired people strolling along the shops on 32nd. ave and Tennyson, Grandparents, taking care of their charges in the parks and numerous bicyclist around the numerous lakes in this old part of Denver. It is easy to bike to Downtown, better now, with a new pedestrian bridge built over I-25 linking highland.

If you have a job in Arvada--consider living in Arvada. Arvada has many established neighborhoods with multiple parks and bike paths. Arvada has been an area long ignored by new arrivals, large developments and highways but now that it has become a benefit because it has beautiful nice neighborhoods and a real old town Main Street which is now attracting young people with associated creative businesses. It is home to many of the native population of Denver. Old Town Arvada and the area north of Ralston Creek parks are safe and established. The Area of 80th and Wadsworth has shopping and a Vitamin Cottage with many parks. West Arvada dips into a Valley with numerous bike and horse paths. Also Arvada has a full range of expansion to the Mountains of the West. Transportation is easy to downtown Denver with an excellent bus system as well as a very large trail system.

I applaud you in wanting to use your car less; I also made a successful attempt to minimize the use of my car.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:42 PM

Wow, thank you tfox and livecontent for your detailed replies. It sounds like I am looking in the right area. It is important that I am in an area where I can practice an "environmentally concious" lifestyle and it seems that it is possible in this area. The description of families and bicycles is appealing, especially knowing that all of downtown isn't too far away. Sunshine market sounds great! Is there any local business districts in these areas? I hope to find affordable housing somewhere that I can have a patio/yard to have plants - am I wrong to think that these types of places are available outside of developments? Maybe restored houses?

Old 07-14-2007, 03:06 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
Yes, there are several local business districts in Highlands area; The main one is 32nd & Lowell in the West Highlands neighborhood which is now called "Highlands Square." Like most of Denver's neighborhood commercial districts, this one started around a streetcar stop. In the Berkeley neighborhood there's something similar at 44th Ave and Tennyson Street. In East Highlands you're beginning to see 32nd & Zuni turn into something similar. as well as some other commercial areas around downtown.

As I said, affordable housing in Highlands area is considerably less common than it was, but on the other hand, it's still much cheaper than other neighborhoods like Wash Park. I'm not sure if you're talking about buying a place or renting one. Most of the houses in the neighborhoods are old, many historic, though there is a rash of new construction. The latter tends to be quite expensive. The former can also be expensive if restored and in good shape, but the more modest older homes can be less expensive.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:23 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Default shopping area in highland and Arvada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard64 View Post
Wow, thank you tfox and livecontent for your detailed replies. It sounds like I am looking in the right area. It is important that I am in an area where I can practice an "environmentally concious" lifestyle and it seems that it is possible in this area. The description of families and bicycles is appealing, especially knowing that all of downtown isn't too far away. Sunshine market sounds great! Is there any local business districts in these areas? I hope to find affordable housing somewhere that I can have a patio/yard to have plants - am I wrong to think that these types of places are available outside of developments? Maybe restored houses?
Shopping in Northwest Denver are located, in Highland, at 32nd. and Lowell. These are eclectic shops and restaurants and delis. There is also concentration of similar shopping along Tennyson, just north of 38th avenue where it meets the old Elitch's Amusement Park with new dense housing and the location of the Sunflower Market. A half a mile east of 38th is Sheridan and there is a King Soopers on the northeast corner. Most of the shopping in North Denver (the natives refer to this as North Denver) even though it is, to me, northeast. The Serious shopping for this are would be 38th Avenue and Wadsworth which runs north and south.

Arvada has never developed much shopping because of the lack of highway (this a benefit to the charm of the area)---no malls, no hospitals, and believe this--no hotels. So most people do their shopping in Westminster, north and east of Arvada. However pockets of concentration with supper markets exist at 80th and Wadsworth, 64th and Sheridan, 64th. and Ralston, west 64th and Ward road with newer development west of Indiana on 64th.

Arvada has the yuppie shopping at old town with the mix of eclectic shops but with new development of chain restaurants and lowe's, home depot, sam,s club to the south of 52nd. and Wadsworth.

I hope this helps. You are 28, I am near 60. So my taste would not be yours. I do not like these new development with over priced yuppy stores with expensive ice cream and coffee. I prefer older established neighborhoods with local shops and restaurants which have been there for years that are still able to exist because of moderate rent. However, when developer get a hold of an area and build new,but fake old buildings---the lease in high and consequently there are many chains and expensive shops.

Do not get me wrong--I am educated with a few degrees and like and enjoy good restaurants, I graduated from The Culinary Institute of America, thirty years ago but now one of key to my simplified retired lifestyle is to avoid over priced shops and do much of my own cooking with good ingredients.

.....I had to stop for a minute---to check on stuffed eggplant which I got at the Sunflower market for 50 cents a piece. My house smells of garlic, onion, olive oil, cheeses. Latter I am going make some Sicilian caponata with the eggplant and the huge gorgeous celery which I also bought for 50 cents each.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:37 PM

275 posts, read 1,471,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard64 View Post
I have just accepted a job in Arvada and am looking to move to the area. I like access to downtown but would like a neighborhood w/ trees. I like to use my car as little as possible and would like to ride my bike. Does this fit highlands description? I want access to natural foods stores etc. as well. I have been warned against anything btwn Federal and Sheridan and highlands is close to this. Anyone know if Highlands is safe, fun place to live for a single 28 year old female?
THanks!
jleonard64 -- I put some photos of Highlands (and the Central Platte Valley) here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ds-photos.html

I don't live in Denver yet, but Highlands seemed like it would fit what you are looking for. There were lots of bike riders there (and all over Denver) when I was there for a weekend back in May.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Highlands is just a little east of Federal (depending on where you draw the boundaries). I would check that area out yourself. We used to live there (bet. Fed and Sheridan), did not find it unsafe or unsavory or dangerous in any way.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:29 PM

30 posts, read 121,199 times
I have had many friends that live/lived in the Highlands, close to Lowell and 40th. A few of them liked it, others found it to be 'sketchy' and moved out to the 'burbs. They had their car windows smashed twice and their friends next door kept having their milk from the milkman stolen from their porch. Kinda funny but it really got on their nerves. I've personally always found the area to be 'sketchy' myself, just my opinion.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:43 PM

It seems like Denver is pretty bike friendly, that is good to hear. I have lived on many other cities (Philly, NY, Hartford, Providence, etc) and have had people that think an area is "sketchy" seem fine by my standards. I have no interest in the burbs so ( and that is why I am trying outside of Arvada first), as I am planning to check it out myself, I take opinion w/ a grain of salt. I do apprecite them all though, as that is about as much as I have to go on. But it seems that most people think Highlands is ok.......Thanks for the pics, I really appreciate it! The neighborhoods look just like what I am looking for and by looking @ a map it seems to be well within bike distance of downtown. By the way, is Sunflower Markets like Trader Joes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver