Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 06:42 PM

6 posts, read 14,587 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

This is my first time checking out this forum...I stumbled upon city data and the forum and I have to say, this place is great! Here's the scoop -

My wife and I are looking for our first home. We're coming from the Lakewood/80227 area but homes around this area are a little too expensive for what we are finding. We've been all over the map looking at homes, first in the mtns, now back in town. I think we have kinda zeroed in on the Aurora/Centennial area, but I don't know much about it, other than it has a LOT more homes in our price range We're mainly looking for something in our price range ($155k and less) that is in a good neighborhood/family atmosphere with low crime and good schools.

I did a few searches on Aurora and it seems like the general consensus is to stay south. We are going to check out a home tomorrow that is around the Tower Rd/Illif Ave (80017) area...does anyone have any experience with this area? The reason I ask is because there is a website (clrsearch.com) which has crime 'risk' for areas based on previous crime data and in some scary crime categories the crime for the 80017 zip code is off the charts. I would hate to move to a place that had crime without knowing about similarly priced areas with much lower crime rates.

We are starting to look more in the 80015/SE Aurora/Centennial area, but again I don't know a lot about these different areas - we just want to look somewhere safe.

Are there some Aurora natives or folks who have had some experience living there that might be able to chime in about their experiences and what areas to seek out and what areas to avoid? This is all pretty new to us

Thanks everyone for your thoughts - it means a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 07:33 PM

11,834 posts, read 34,467,731 times
Your real estate broker will have information to give you on the property taxes, schools.

You will have to do some due diligence on the schools, crime, whatever else is important.

Don't rely on websites to tell you about crime. Call the police department.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:23 PM

664 posts, read 2,068,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Your real estate broker will have information to give you on the property taxes, schools.

You will have to do some due diligence on the schools, crime, whatever else is important.

Don't rely on websites to tell you about crime. Call the police department.
For those who like to explore like me the county assesors site (in this case Arapahoe but all of the metro counties have it) will give you the property tax info for all houses. The important number to look at is the total mill levy because that will allow you to compare property tax on a 'per-value' basis if it's in different taxing districts.

It got more curious about calling the police department for crime info. How specific will they get? Will they tell you to avoid certain blocks or just certain neighborhoods or will they even tell you certain houses that are problem houses? Just wondering since I've never done that.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:36 PM

Does anyone have any information on the Aurora Highlands? Right now, most of the homes we are finding are in the Aurora Highlands and Pheasant Run area. I know that with our budget, we won't be able to access some of the upper $$ neighborhoods, but since we're just starting off we might not really fit in there anyway. I'm most interested in safe neighborhoods. If it is old, that is okay. It would be great to find a place that has a good community where neighbors work well together.

Any thoughts on Pheasant Run or Aurora Highlands? I know the highlands aren't really considered SE Aurora which is why I'm wondering how things are there, what with 80017 considered a little less safe (I think?).

Thanks for any and all replies.

I've never tried calling the Police department...has anyone else done so? What is the type of feedback that you get?

Old 07-21-2010, 12:19 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,326,448 times
You're already living in Lakewood-- right? So you can drive over across town any time to check these neighborhoods out first hand-- right?

I grew up in S. Aurora, (and live here now until I find a ******* job). Pheasant Run is basically a "lower middle class" neighborhood, with aging homes from the late 70's and early 80's. It's nothing to brag about, but it's not totally falling apart either. We used to make fun of it growing up, calling it "Peasant Run." I don't know much about the elementary school, but the middle school (Laredo) and high school (Smoky Hill) are in the same attendance zones as Piney Creek & Shenandoah, much wealthier areas, as well as some other more middle-of-the-road middle class areas, so the schools have a pretty good diversity. Smoky Hill H.S. is a great school. It's all Cherry Creek Schools, it's all pretty good. I bicycle through Pheasant Run all the time (during the day) and never feel unsafe or notice anything unusual other than occasional unleased dogs in the park and cars speeding through Mobile/ Pheasant Run Pkwy. Occasionally there are groups of punk teenagers who hang out in the street just across from Smoky Hill High School. That can happen anywhere of course but I notice it consistently with Pheasant Run. All of the streets within a certain radius of Smoky Hill Rd have no parking ordinances to try to prevent students from parking there for free. Have never walked around the neighborhood at night though, so can't say for sure if anything changes.

There are actually several different sections of "Pheasant Run," one bounded by Smoky Hill, Buckley, Chambers, and Quincy (the main Pheasant Run), one bounded by Smoky Hill, Quincy, and Chambers (this section includes an Aurora public swimming pool), and a "Pheasant Run South" just north of Woodgate, surrounding Sagebrush Elementary School. They're all fairly similar to one another.

There's another neighborhood with small, inexpensive homes called Summer Valley Ranch, located east of Buckley and south of Quincy.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:11 AM

vegaspilgrim,

Thanks for such detailed information! I really appreciate it. We've seen one or two houses in the Pheasant Run area so far, but I really haven't spent enough time in it to know exactly what its like. Most of that area seemed to be pretty well maintained (at least compared to some areas we've looked in).

Have you had any experience with the Aurora Highlands area, particularly the east side? Our budget is limited, and I'm still seeking out all our options in our price range, but there is still a lot I don't know. You mentioned Summer Valley Ranch. Are there other areas in addition to that that you might suggest? Or maybe its easier to think of areas/neighborhoods that you would avoid (due to crime, etc)?

In any case, thank you for sharing your experience, its cool to see the share of information.

And yep, I do live in lakewood and work just north of the DTC, so I have some access to that area to check it out more. Good call.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:29 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,156,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
vegaspilgrim,

Thanks for such detailed information! I really appreciate it. We've seen one or two houses in the Pheasant Run area so far, but I really haven't spent enough time in it to know exactly what its like. Most of that area seemed to be pretty well maintained (at least compared to some areas we've looked in).

Have you had any experience with the Aurora Highlands area, particularly the east side? Our budget is limited, and I'm still seeking out all our options in our price range, but there is still a lot I don't know. You mentioned Summer Valley Ranch. Are there other areas in addition to that that you might suggest? Or maybe its easier to think of areas/neighborhoods that you would avoid (due to crime, etc)?

In any case, thank you for sharing your experience, its cool to see the share of information.

And yep, I do live in lakewood and work just north of the DTC, so I have some access to that area to check it out more. Good call.
I live in SE Aurora and when people say "stay south" if you are looking in Aurora, they mean close to the E-470.

That being said, you cannot take anyone's word for it. The reality is that your budget won't afford much in SE Aurora, so you've got to decide if it's better to live in an apartment until you can save more money or move to an area with homes in your price range.

We moved to Denver 4 years ago and we rented for the first year since we weren't sure where we wanted to live. We spent many hours driving through neighborhoods until we located a few we were interested in. Once we narrowed our search, we started doing "drive-bys" in earnest. We wanted a family friendly area with low crime and good schools. So, we drove through neighborhoods on weekends, after work, during the day, etc. What stood out for us and the house we eventually bought was that Saturday afternoons meant people out mowing their lawns, the local parks full of people, and kids outside playing. Some neighborhoods that looked interesting were literal "ghost towns" on the weekends and we didn't want to live somewhere with people who lock their garage doors down tight and don't know their neighbors. Our neighborhood held it's annual block party a few weeks ago and it was fantastic.

Here is the reality...the job market isn't going to be turning around any time soon and neither will the housing market, so if you decide on a place and then realize that it's not at all what you were looking for, you may be in for a hard time of it if you want to sell.

Also, as someone who is navigating our way through the economic reality of life nowadays, you also want to buy a house to LIVE in and not just consider it an investment. If you have kids (or are planning on having kids), find a house with a layout that will support your family and find one in a good school district. We targeted Cherry Creek School District and cannot be happier with our decision. Cherry Creek has a lot of different communities it services so while there ARE some very expensive areas to live in, you can also live in a neighborhood like mine (Saddle Rock Ridge) with homes that are in the $200K-$400K range. After living all over this country, I can say with confidence that there aren't that many cities that you can live in on a middle income salary that have top-rated schools. I love that my kids can get a great education without putting us in the poor house.

The city of Aurora is a huge one. To help narrow your search, I'd target the Cherry Creek school district area within Aurora and then start doing "drive bys" of neighborhoods you like. You don't have to buy a house for the "new house smell". There are some nice communities that are older along Smoky Hill Road that may be in your price range. It's also an easy commute to the DTC from SE Aurora...most of the people I know in my neighborhood work there. It's straight down Arapahoe Road (no need to use the toll road at all).

Old 07-21-2010, 12:39 PM

the3Ds,

Thanks for such a thoughtful reply. My wife and I are new to the whole 'buying a home' thing and so as much as I can hear the advice like you give, the better. I've already incorporated some of what you said into our process, but some of that is new (and very good) and can only come from experience.

I think what it is leading up to is tying to find a good house in the best area we can afford with good schools. The idea about thinking ahead as far as the house layout, room to expand, etc is something we are trying to incorporate since we'd like to have kids one day, but driving around, previewing neighborhoods, looking at the schools...thats something that I haven't really thought of yet. That might be because since our biggest limiting factor is the budget, we'd hate to drive around, fall in love with a neighborhood, but not be able to afford anything in there. I suppose though that the theory is sound, especially with surrounding areas. If I know that there are houses that could potentially be in our price range, I think I'm much more apt to apply the drive by test.

I like the idea of finding an older neighborhood in the Cherry Creek School district that is maybe a little bit more affordable. That would give us a really good sense of the area and would allow us to possibly find a slightly better home/neighborhood 5-10 years after we bought our first house and had some more time to save up.

I've noticed that the Pheasant Run area seems to be in our price range but as others have mentioned, may not be the nicest neighborhood. Maybe that would still be a good compromise? Does 'not the nicest' mean just older homes, or worse crime? The older homes I can do, but I'm trying to be smart about the location/crime balance.

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback. The search keeps narrowing in!

Old 07-21-2010, 12:39 PM

25 posts, read 61,280 times
The older parts of Aurora in the north are older and predominately ethnic. When you get a bit further south near the Aurora mall the houses tend to be a bit newer from the 60's and 70's. Most of these areas are well maintained and generally older couples without kids.

The "new" Aurora is all of the development taking place very far away from any other parts of the metro area along what some people call the California highway, or E-470. There are a couple of things you consider before you move there.

House prices are cheaper, this is the drive until you can qualify mentality BUT in many cases property taxes are higher.

If your work is in, north or west of Denver think long and hard about this. You are already going to be spending enough on gas, but the remoteness of the area and lack of any light rail means your options are limited in terms of transportation, unlike your current (or soon to be) situation in Lakewood.

I think it is unfortunate that housing prices around Denver are as high as they are and that we are sold the idea that the "American dream" means to own a house. In my opinion you are probably not going to find everything you are looking for in the 155k range until you are an hour from the city and then you are going to spend enormous amounts of money on vehicle maintenance and fuel which negates the savings in the first place. This would end up being a poor economic decision overall but you would have a nice new house, good schools and a yard.

I would look in the area bordered by 6th ave, Havana, 225 and Jewell. There are some nice homes near Expo park that are just above your limit.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:14 PM

From the 80015 area code my drive to work would be on average 15-20min depending on the house location. This is actually closer than my current location in Lakewood, with drive time usually 25-35min.

I have been seeing some homes in this area for around our price range but I know we have to be smart, because most of these homes are older, may have issues, etc, and so that is where our realtor has been very helpful. We've already seen a lot (50+) houses and so we have also seen a lot of issues. I think we can find a compromise between the price and the work that needs to go into it.

I know speculation is just speculation, but how many here feel that, like the3Ds mentioned, the housing market in the metro area will continue to stumble and possible fall even further? Any thoughts on when a possible market recovery is likely?

I know I just opened a whole new can of worms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver