Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 11:49 PM

6 posts, read 11,143 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am looking for opinions on Littleton,CO neighborhoods -- looking for a relatively expensive house while avoiding that "wealthy neighborhood" feel.

Background: We're moving from the SF Bay area to Denver and to keep my commute short are looking to buy in Littleton or somewhere close by. Our budget is up to $800k (though of course spending far less is fine) -- while that is modest in our California town it seems to buy a lot of house in Colorado. We're looking for at least 3500 sf and and at least 1/3 acre. Excellent schools a must. Here's the crux of my question: while we like the idea of making a very nice house our home, we don't look to our house, however nice, as a status symbol and don't much care for the company of those who do. We don't drive fancy cars,tote designer handbags, or wear $100 sunglasses. Perhaps I've been in California too long and these sorts of behaviors are not as evident in the "rich neighborhoods" in Colorado? It's just that I'm afraid that we're going to move into the $750k neighborhood for the house and location and wish our neighbors were a little more normal.
I hope I've been clear? Apologies to anyone with fancy handbags, I was just making generalizations.

One more thing -- we're torn between living close to a downtown of sorts and living close to open space as we like to trail run (my wife) and mountain bike (me). There don't seem to be many "downtown" options in the SW Denver metro area so we've been looking more towards the open space option.

I also posted this over at Trulia:

http://www.trulia.com/voices/General...eighbor-232645

Thanks!

Last edited by ElementK; 07-16-2010 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: trying to fix URL formatting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 08:28 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
I came here from Sunnyvale and you can find a $700,00 -$800,000 house in a "normal" neighborhood, as that is not too terribly expensive here, and downright middle of the road there.

Where is work. Littleton certainly does have a downtown. SW Jeffco has Wadsworth. Centennial has Southglen, Castle Pines has the parkway, and Highlands Ranch has Town Center.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:22 AM

299 posts, read 711,948 times
800k house is middle of the road? I'm much poorer than I realized.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:22 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,016 times
I live in Adams County. There are many large homes in the unincorporated part and many near smaller and not so luxurious homes. These expensive homes sit on large pieces of land.

A few years ago, I had a chance to talk to one of the owners. I asked him why he would built such a large expensive home in these areas which some rich people would consider less than ideal. His answer:

1. The land was cheaper and I can get more of it, instead of having a big house with a little property.

2. No home association fees which he said were thousand of dollars a year in many of those wealthy developments that he knew.

3. Most importantly, he said he made his money in the trades and he said he was not really comfortable living near people who, as he said "did not work for a living".

We discussed the issue that he would get less for his house when he sold. His answer was with the money I am saving--who cares. In addition, he view was that he made his money--this is the place he wants to live.

Is a site like that possible near Littleton? The area is more developed with more wealthier enclaves. The land nearby, I would assume, would be much more expensive, yet to me not as amenable. The characteristics of the land in that area of Arapahoe Douglas and South Jefferson County are not the same as rural traditional agricultural land in Adams County. Adams County, in the near proximity of Denver, has the South Platte which runs to the Northeast of Denver and has caused the development of many small working class communities and has gives it a more appealing look.

Livecontent

Old 07-16-2010, 10:25 AM

299 posts, read 711,948 times
Also, areas will sometimes look very wealthy with pricey McMansions and SUV's parked out front, etc. But, scratch the surface and not everyone is all that financially stable. There are huge numbers of people living in their expensive houses, paying the HOA fees, driving shiny cars, etc. but on paper they have a negative net worth and are sweating it pretty hard.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:50 AM

151 posts, read 397,434 times
If I had that kind of money I'd look to get a place on south Clarkson St---just south of Bellevue. Guessing that's GV. There are some gorgeous properties on that stretch and they're on very big lots. Love that street. Plus they're older homes and all unique. Less of that artificial stately feel that you get with the properties on the east side of University Blvd through GV.

Last edited by FentonForche; 07-16-2010 at 11:00 AM..

Old 07-16-2010, 11:42 AM

34 posts, read 75,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreMove View Post
800k house is middle of the road? I'm much poorer than I realized.
lol !

Old 07-16-2010, 01:50 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
OP, I'd look at Bow Mar. Located adjacent to the City of Littleton, which has a cute, well-established downtown. Close to the Platte River trail, which gives you your running and biking. Bow Mar has large lots (2 acres?) and a mixture of older and new homes. They also have their own lake, complete with boating. I'd love to live there.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:59 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
OP, I'd look at Bow Mar. Located adjacent to the City of Littleton, which has a cute, well-established downtown. Close to the Platte River trail, which gives you your running and biking. Bow Mar has large lots (2 acres?) and a mixture of older and new homes. They also have their own lake, complete with boating. I'd love to live there.
I like Bow Mar; it is just at the end of South Sheridan. It got mostly those large sprawling ranches from the 1960s. It is hidden and quiet, not a place people drive through.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:04 PM

151 posts, read 397,434 times
Bowmar is sweet. +1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver