Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 01:19 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
I received an anonymous reputation comment that said, "You sound like a horrible, horrible dentist. If that is your attitude to people who are broke and in pain then you are in the wrong profession. Shameful."

I don't get it. I'm a dentist so it's in my best interest for everyone to have teeth so I can stay busier. I'm not sure what "attitude" is being referred to here. I'm just explaining why teeth are not considered by health insurance to be an essential component of life. Food and shelter is more important. And this is one case where the insurance companies are correct unfortunately.
So you think people should live in chronic pain because they can't afford it? The ironic thing is someone living in poverty can obtain free dental care at free clinics or charity from dental schools. But a middle class person like me is screwed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 02:07 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,778,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
So you think people should live in chronic pain because they can't afford it? The ironic thing is someone living in poverty can obtain free dental care at free clinics or charity from dental schools. But a middle class person like me is screwed.
I agree this is a problem. But many people think the dentists should pay for it as if it was the dentists' fault. There is no access to care problem in dentistry. There is an access-to-someone-to-pay-for-my-care problem in dentistry.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:53 AM

4 posts, read 14,691 times
Quote:
Last weekend, I found myself in a stressful situation. I had a horrible toothache causing my entire left jaw to ache and throb. I even started to wonder if I would need to see an emergency dentist. Thankfully, the pain went away and has been gone since then for the most part. I fear going to the dentist, not because of the treatment, but because of the bill. I currently have no insurance and was kicking myself last weekend for not getting on the ball and getting some coverage.

But when I started looking at policies online again, now I remember why I never really jumped on this. First, my employer dental coverage is crap. About $240 a year to just cover cleanings and emergency extractions. Root canals and crowns, you're on your own. IT would actually cost me less to pay out of my pocket. Most of the policies I found online only covered services at 30% - 50% at best. Plus a 6 month waiting period. If this toothache comes back, I'm screwed either way. Dentists have no mercy. Pay in full or use Care Credit which has horrific reviews.

I came across a website that offered dental savings plans. You pay a yearly fee, get a discount card, and then get some nice discounts off services. Best part is I would get covered immediately. But it appears to good to be true. The site listed several dentists in my area, but when I called them, oddly, I would get a cold nope we don't use that. They actually acted kinda snippy like how dare I even ask if they would accept such a thing.

Here is the website:

[URL="http://www.dentalplans.com/"]Dental Plans | Dental Insurance Alternatives | 40+ Plans[/URL]

Has anyone used this successfully?
Dental savings plans are real, when you call the office... make sure you are talking to the office manager or the dentist directly. Don't speak to an uninformed front desk person. Also, don't ask if they accept dental plans or dental savings plans... you'd have to be specific and name the carrier of the plan. Dentalplans.com doesn't sell personal plans... they sell plans from major carriers... so you can get a discounted plan from Aetna, Cigna or Delta from dentalplans.com.

The plans work... you just have to get a plan that is suited for your needs and if you can't find one, call them and i'm sure their customer service team will help you. That's what they are there for.

Good luck.

Alfred

Old 11-19-2014, 06:49 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredTFrush View Post
Dental savings plans are real, when you call the office... make sure you are talking to the office manager or the dentist directly. Don't speak to an uninformed front desk person. Also, don't ask if they accept dental plans or dental savings plans... you'd have to be specific and name the carrier of the plan. Dentalplans.com doesn't sell personal plans... they sell plans from major carriers... so you can get a discounted plan from Aetna, Cigna or Delta from dentalplans.com.

The plans work... you just have to get a plan that is suited for your needs and if you can't find one, call them and i'm sure their customer service team will help you. That's what they are there for.

Good luck.

Alfred
Thanks Alfred! I'll give it another shot. I don't even have a problem paying out of pocket for the full dentist charges if they would just be willing to do a payment plan. But nope, it's everything up front. No exceptions.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:15 AM

482 posts, read 901,468 times
I have used discount plans for yrs and found them cost effective. However, the quality of the work depends on the dentist. I would get referrals for a dentist in your area from friends THEN search the plans that the recommended dentist subscribes to. Call them before you sign up to see if they still are a provider under the plan. Some plans discount implants!

Old 11-19-2014, 07:36 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,778,843 times
Quote:
Thanks Alfred! I'll give it another shot. I don't even have a problem paying out of pocket for the full dentist charges if they would just be willing to do a payment plan. But nope, it's everything up front. No exceptions.
I don't understand why this is so hard to understand. His staff do not allow the dentist to pay out their salary on a payment plan. He has to pay them now. Using the money a patient pays for the services of those staff.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:23 AM

5 posts, read 18,886 times
I had never heard about dental insurance earlier or plan and confused about it also little bit.This is a nice thread for this information.
Thanks for sharing this information here.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:22 AM

108 posts, read 146,538 times
Not actually, It depends on how effective these discount dental plans are While discounts are always good.
And the value of the discount dental plans will vary from persons to person depending on how you’ll use the features each plan offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health