Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2012, 06:46 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,509,999 times

Advertisements

I feel like my crown is coming off. I did bleed a little bit. No pain. When I touch the crown, it slightly moves. What can be done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 07:58 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
Buy a travel-sized (or whatever's on sale cheap) tube of fixodent, and keep it with you. Make an appointment to get the crown re-placed (meaning - if it's not broken, they'd just cement it back on. If it's broken, they'd put a new one on).

Between now and the date of the appointment, if the crown comes loose enough that you can pull it off, do this:

brush the inside of the crown, being -very- careful not to let it slip down the drain. Maybe hold it over a bowl or something. You just want it clean.

Rinse your mouth with tepid water. Do -not- try and brush the ground-down tooth stump.

Use a twisted end of a paper towel to dry it. Use another end the towel to *GENTLY* pat the stump-tooth. Do -not- try and brush it.

Then, put a pin-tip's worth of fixodent (less than a drop) inside the hollow of the crown. Carefully place the crown back on the tooth, apply pressure to spread the sealant (that's what it is), and hold it there firmly but gently for 30 seconds. You really do need to use this stuff sparingly - it won't get the right suction to stay sealed if you use too much. Plus it has a funky oily consistency that makes your mouth feel weird if it leaks out.

Avoid eating overly crunchy or chewy foods until you can get to a dentist. Overly crunchy would be things like peanut brittle or ice cubes. Overly chewy would be things like caramel or toffee or gum.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:46 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,509,999 times
No more bleeding though. No pain and pressure. I guess I just have to careful while eating there. Can't chew hard stuff. I wonder if I will be charged to get crown replaced. I can see my Dentist on the 13th Friday. Is that too long to wait? I don't want to try to pull it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Buy a travel-sized (or whatever's on sale cheap) tube of fixodent, and keep it with you. Make an appointment to get the crown re-placed (meaning - if it's not broken, they'd just cement it back on. If it's broken, they'd put a new one on).

Between now and the date of the appointment, if the crown comes loose enough that you can pull it off, do this:

brush the inside of the crown, being -very- careful not to let it slip down the drain. Maybe hold it over a bowl or something. You just want it clean.

Rinse your mouth with tepid water. Do -not- try and brush the ground-down tooth stump.

Use a twisted end of a paper towel to dry it. Use another end the towel to *GENTLY* pat the stump-tooth. Do -not- try and brush it.

Then, put a pin-tip's worth of fixodent (less than a drop) inside the hollow of the crown. Carefully place the crown back on the tooth, apply pressure to spread the sealant (that's what it is), and hold it there firmly but gently for 30 seconds. You really do need to use this stuff sparingly - it won't get the right suction to stay sealed if you use too much. Plus it has a funky oily consistency that makes your mouth feel weird if it leaks out.

Avoid eating overly crunchy or chewy foods until you can get to a dentist. Overly crunchy would be things like peanut brittle or ice cubes. Overly chewy would be things like caramel or toffee or gum.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:03 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
If there's no pain, no bleeding, and *most importantly* no swelling, you should be fine til the 13th.

I had an entire bridge fall off, which had covered two molars, and covered a space between them where I had an extraction. It fell off while I was on vacation on the other side of the country. I called my dentist and his hygienist gave me the advice I posted here.

If the crown is intact, but simply loose, they'll probably charge for just an office visit (if anything). They'd only charge extra if they have to get a new crown made. When I went in to have my bridge re-cemented, they didn't charge me at all. But - my situation was different; I had just given them over $10,000 for the bridge, another bridge, a root canal, and a deposit on an implant. So they cut me some slack cause my insurance didn't cover any of it and they knew I was paying out of pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health