Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 03:44 PM

12 posts, read 40,422 times

Advertisements

I started a previous thread and have not received any replies, so in this new thread, I'll try to be more specific in the hopes of hearing some opinions.

My family is considering moving back east and one of the places that we are looking is Delaware. I am not at all familiar with Delaware, but we really want to live near the beach...we are relocating from San Diego, so we definitely like the laid back beach vibe and the eclectic environment that typically follows suit (coffee shops, bars specializing in local/craft beers, non chain restaurants) but still want to be able to get into the city if we want to.

Based on what I have read, I think I have narrowed it down to Lewes or Rehoboth Beach. Can you offer your opinions on each? IE: which is more family friendly? Do more families live year-round in one place versus the other? Are the schools better in one place versus the other?

I work for a Biotech Company out of my home office and my wife is a stay at home mom. Our kids are 13, 4 and 2. We are looking to rent at first just so we can settle in. Would like to keep the rent as low as possible, obviously, so we have extra money to get out and do stuff.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Last edited by Thomas8093; 10-19-2009 at 04:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 10:31 AM

204 posts, read 845,674 times
Default I grew up in Delaware...

and spend a good bit of my life at the Delaware beaches. My aunt used to own a large home on the beach in Lewes, and if I could pick one place on the East Coast to retire, it would be Lewes (though I could never afford a place on the beach).

Keep in mind that Lewes is on the bay and Rehoboth is on the ocean. The bay is much safer to swim in for smaller children, but the big kids like the ocean waves. Lewes has a really nice, quaint downtown area, and Rehoboth has all the typical beach town stuff. I spent a lot of time walking the boards in Rehoboth and really miss is now that I live in North Carolina. (If there are beaches down here like Lewes and Rehoboth, I haven't found them yet.)

These two towns are so close together that restaurants and shops are easily accessible from either direction. However, the traffic on Route 1 is really heavy during the summer months. I spent 20 or so years of summer months living on the Rehoboth Bay, and we avoided going into downtown Rehoboth as much as possible (but after you've been there a while, you kind of know what times of day/night are better than others for traffic).

For school information, check GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community.

As with any beach town, there are lots of year-rounders and lots summer rentals. You just can't avoid the rental homes no matter where you are near the beach. Renting is a great idea. It'll give you a chance to check out the areas and see what fits your family's needs best.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:12 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Two websites that I think are more objective then Great Schools are SchoolMatters - Home (http://www.schoolmatters.com/schools.aspx/q/page=hm - broken link) and SchoolDigger.com - School Rankings, Reviews and More - Public and Private Elementary, Middle, High Schools

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:16 PM

12 posts, read 40,422 times
Are there any Lewes/Rehoboth area Realtors lurking in the forum?

If not, does anyone know of any reputable Realtors in Lewes/Rehoboth Beach?

Thanks!!

Old 10-30-2009, 10:49 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Thomas if there are any local realtors, they will need to contact you via DM. The terms of service for this site do not allow any self promotion. https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html "Real Estate Agents and other businesses will not advertise their services nor solicit business in their posts. Create a free business profile by going to https://www.city-data.com/profiles/add and fill out your forum profile instead. Do not include links to your websites, MLS listings, etc. in your posts. Do not try to push the envelope by attempting to hide your intentions."

and, "Recommendations are allowed for posters that have at least 10 posts. One cannot recommend himself/herself. The only area where recommendations are not permitted is real estate."

I think if you search this site a little bit though you will find a lower Delaware Realtor with a little label under their name that lists them as a Realtor.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:40 PM

41 posts, read 140,748 times
Well...what did u choose?

Old 04-29-2010, 10:39 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,186,434 times
No body ever really answered directly the school question. Lewes and Rehoboth are both in the same school district. They have there own elementaries but middle and senior highs are Cape Henlopen. Brand new state of art High School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: