Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,820 times

Advertisements

Hi

My fiance was just offered a position with BeeBe Medical Center (RN) and we are beginning the ever-adventerous process of relocating. We are a young couple, with a young daughter and this will be my first time EVER living outside of the Baltimore/Bel Air MD area (he has lived all over the world). Basically, we were looking to rent in the area of Lewes/Delaware until we get a better grasp on what area we want to stay in. Being in close proximity to the beach is important (surfing). I also plan to finish out school (also for nursing) through BeeBe as well. We have a 3, almost 4 year old daughter, and I was just wondering (among everything else running through my brain right now) what your experiences with the school system are, as this is my primary concern. I have to get her into a 4 year old PreK program, to continue her schooling as she is currently in a 3 year program. Are there any suggestions from those familiar about some good PreK programs in the area of Rehobeth/Lewes? I've found a few on google but would rather get some opinions from those in the area before I proceed on that front.

Also, I'd appreciate any tips or advice in relocating to the area? Anyone familiar or currently enrolled in BeeBe's Nursing program? Also any thoughts on what to do, what not to do as I am in completely new territory. Fun places to go, dine, and possibly meet some new friends, as we know no one in the area and have only vacationed here. Thanks in advance for any thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 08:12 AM

271 posts, read 995,750 times
We've lived in the Dover area for more than 30 years, and have spent a lot of time in and around the Delaware beach towns. We do like quaint Lewes. Delaware doesn't have much ocean beach, about 20 miles starting at Cape Henlopen (Lewes), but we've enjoyed the area greatly.

I haven't been to Lewes restaurants recently, but some good ones exist. In Rehoboth, we like the Dogfish best, but there are many, always changing, lots that fall within the reasonable range and all the way to rather expensive as well.

Someone will come along with information about the school system (and pre-school), I hope. Lewes has a pretty good reputation in this regard, but I don't have personal experience.

As for "the Beebe," well, it hasn't had the best reputation over most of the time we've lived in Delaware, and our one experience at the hospital, rather an urgent one, left us displeased and shaken. That, however, was about 10 years ago, and I've heard that things are improving, which is great.

As for the nursing school: I didn't know it existed until fairly recently and was surprised to learn about it. I think I was assuming that, since Delaware has no medical schools, one wouldn't find a nursing school at Beebe Hospital. (There is one at Delaware State University.) I was told that the Beebe's nursing school has been in place at the hospital for a long time. Also, that some courses associated with it are taught at the Georgetown campus of Delaware Tech. The person who told me about this was not awfully confident that those courses would be, well--I'd better not say. I do not, personally, have much knowledge of Del Tech in Georgetown. I'd encourage you to explore and ask a lot of questions.

Best luck!

Old 02-10-2010, 12:22 PM

41 posts, read 140,804 times
Anniebleu is right. Beebe is getting better and better. Lewes is great. People are "down to earth" and the schools are very good. I will say the grade school is much better than the high school. Shields elem ranked 5th is the state wide testing and is very community based. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware