Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 05:28 AM

460 posts, read 2,422,987 times

Advertisements

Elkton depresses me. If your a young girl do not live there. Get an apartment in Pike Creek or Newark. Elkton is just appauling. Unless your used to that kind of thing then by all means go ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 01:46 PM

38 posts, read 135,493 times
Post Go with Pike Creek if you want decency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna Leave Penciltucky View Post
Elkton depresses me. If your a young girl do not live there. Get an apartment in Pike Creek or Newark. Elkton is just appauling. Unless your used to that kind of thing then by all means go ahead.
I totally agree, what does Elkton have to offer College students, hmmmmmmm. You should definately go with Pike Creek if you have a car (though one bus does go through there, back n forth to wilmington) because the people are completely different and I imagine more hospitable to strangers. Theres more social opportunities to become acquainted with the community, basically. It's crazy, I live right next to the state (Elkton) line and I do not associate myself at all with Elkton, there is not need to even go there its so different. No, I do go there for the Super Walmart (grocery store) which is open 24 hours and I can sneak off there when the babes are asleep. Theres ALWAYS a crowd there and in the summer theres alot of kids hanging out in the parking lot because theres just nothing to do.

Pike Creek is costlier in some areas but theres alot of college students that go there (also from Goldy-Beacom College) and you can always find out where the more affordable places are or just find a roommate. I love DelCastle park because its one of the biggest and its a nice getaway.

And on that note: I do appreciate your decision to go with other towns than just Newark, DE, the apartments I live in I have lived in for 7 years but there is such a limited amount of low-income housing available (A bunch of condo's being built as we speak) because Newark refuses to acknowledge these people that theirs a major crowding issue. Now Main Street --the main Campus life attraction--is supposedly coming expanding to Elkton Rd--more merchants--and less room for the people who cant afford these costly prices. After our apartments were renovated we got tricked into believing it was becoming a family residence as in the past it was mostly older college students and professors, and just five months after renovations ended all these handicapped, mentally handicapped people and homeless people were moved into our apartment complex!!! We are fuming because we were not informed of these plans and were even given previous compensation to move and would of did so if they were honest. One guy sits outside everyday facing his door and just swings his head back in forth. Newark doesnt have a legitimate Housing Authority like most cities do and this needs to be addressed.

Last edited by Revellanotvanella; 02-09-2008 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: I left paragraph out

Old 02-18-2008, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,323 times
Default ...

Because you are outsiders, I understand your view point on Elkton. I am an Elkton native and I can say that we as a community hate outsiders.

The only thing good about Elkton is the walmart and I admit that if you go to the Walmart during the summer, you will always be able to find my friends and I there. Maybe its because I worked in the McDonalds for so long. However, you won't be saying that when the Six Flags is built at the end of this year.

If you like the country and quiet, Elkton is the right place for you. But if not, stay in Delaware. If you are looking for party drugs, Elkton is the place to go.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:53 AM

728 posts, read 1,783,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDCofDE View Post
I would strongly discourage you from living in Elkton. The townspeople are not friendly to outsiders. Besides, you will get creamed by Maryland taxes, and if you live in Delaware, you might qualify for in-state rates after 1 year.
I second this, look in the Bear/Newark area. My wifes family is all from the North East/Elkton area. And most of them have come across the border due to the taxes, etc.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:52 PM

3 posts, read 8,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katreese View Post
Hi,

Is it feasible to leave in Elkton MD while attending UD in Newark? Google maps says it's a 13-minute drive. Also, is housing really cheaper there...as it appears to be on the internet?

THANKS!
By now you've gotten a flavor for the opinion of Elkton - don't live in Elkton. If your undergraduate age, live in Newark. Parking at the U of D will cost you several hundred dollars a year. The time and hassle you will save by living within walking distance to campus far out-weighs the cost (U of D has a very good bus schedule that services all the local apartment complexes - get the bus schedule and use that as your list). When it comes to apartment selection, you get what you pay for and if you go on the cheap you will end up in an apartment complex with crime issues (which can be very serious - in some places). That applies across every area in Delaware. Most of the apartment complexs that are adjacent to the university are dominated by students - they can be loud, but they are mostly safe. I recommend living on campus your first year until you figure it out. Main street Newark is the hub of social activity for just about everyone under the age of 25 in the area.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:59 PM

103 posts, read 513,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven302 View Post
I second this, look in the Bear/Newark area. My wifes family is all from the North East/Elkton area. And most of them have come across the border due to the taxes, etc.
Isn't it funny (and kind of eerie in a way)... driving on HWY 40 east through MD, and the instant you hit the state line driving into DE, there is an instant pop-up of decent looking houses. Definetly a demand for less taxes indeed.

The only reason I'd even seen this is because the river bridge on I-95 was backed up for an accident last week, and my GPS took me through Elkton. As a former UD student, I can definetly say you're much better off living in DE. For the size of the state, the bus system is fairly decent, esp. around campus.

BTW... taking the bus from Pike Creek (rte. 19) is NOT a good idea if you want easy access to the campus. The bus runs EXTREMELY sporadically, and you have to connect to rte. 2 (which means crossing Kirkwood Hwy: 6+ lanes of traffic with NO crosswalks). Live close to campus, but on a single bus route - you'll thank yourself in the long run.

Parking is also a real hassle around the campus, and I believe to even park in the campus parking lots to take the university bus in, you need to pay $300-$400 a semester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: