Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2023, 02:28 PM

15 posts, read 12,989 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are retired. Currently in Florida. Unfortunately, politics can play a part in where you are comfortable. We are looking at De. based on location, tax breaks etc. As an interracial couple, we don't to live surrounded by ultraconservative fanatics, or in the worst areas of any town. My understanding is that the central part of the state is rural and conservative. The lower part is very expensive ant the northern part is possibly not so great. Am I off base here? After some responses, I will give more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 02:56 PM

980 posts, read 539,500 times
My daughter lives in a town next to Wilmington called Hockessen. It is a nice area and their mortgage for a 2 story 4 bedroom house is the same as mine (I live in New Mexico in a 2800 sq ft house, very old house). I think the neighborhood is very mixed politically so you would probably feel comfortable. There is a bad part of Wilmington that has more crime than NY city (which is very weird considering the low population of that town). Maybe take a few trips to visit different towns in Deleware and see if any of them resonate with you.

Old 06-17-2023, 08:09 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notuzin&zewski View Post
My wife and I are retired. Currently in Florida. Unfortunately, politics can play a part in where you are comfortable. We are looking at De. based on location, tax breaks etc. As an interracial couple, we don't to live surrounded by ultraconservative fanatics, or in the worst areas of any town. My understanding is that the central part of the state is rural and conservative. The lower part is very expensive ant the northern part is possibly not so great. Am I off base here? After some responses, I will give more info.
Wilmington in general can be pricey, especially in the more desirable areas on the north/northwest side. Much of the middle 2/3 section is rural with the exception of Smyrna/Clayton and the capital city of Dover which might be your best option. The city itself has a higher crime rate but the suburbs to the south and west have fairly low rates and affordable homes. Dover has a diverse population with an elite HBCU (Delaware State), state government operations and one of the more important USAF bases, Dover AFB. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ht%40&qdm=true

Old 06-18-2023, 06:47 AM

9,722 posts, read 14,260,591 times
Outside of the City of Dover, is a hidden gem: The Town of Wyoming. Rather than elaborate on why this little town is attractive to many, I've added a link: the Town of Wyoming's newsletter (published monthly). This town may be "too slow" for some, but to others, it's "heaven".

https://wyoming.delaware.gov/files/2...oming-June.pdf

Old 06-18-2023, 07:49 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notuzin&zewski View Post
As you know De. is a more liberal state in general. I can only speak to my own experiences specifically, but my impression is that you will not be uncomfortable anywhere in De. Sure there are idiots anywhere, but I don't think they will impact a decision to live in the state.

I live in Rehoboth, which you will see is the most conservative area and my community has a mix of all parties inc. Indys. Do we disagree at times? Sure, but we are all friends and we never let politics get in the mix.

The below from a tv report one day last week. I have pulled out the Delaware list and aded the entire link below.

- Most conservative county: Sussex County

--- Republican votes in 2020: 71,230 (55.1%)

--- Total votes cast: 129,352

Distinguishing Sussex County most significantly from its more liberal neighboring counties is the high median age of its residents at 51.8 years, with 29.8% of Sussex County residents being 65 and older, and 75.4% of its 237,378 residents identifying as white. Immediately north is Kent County, Delaware, which has a median age of 38.8, and a lower percentage of white residents at 58.8% of 181,851. While not as markedly white as other counties, Sussex's racial demographics, combined with the fact that older voters generally vote more conservatively, likely contribute to its Republican lean.

https://www.kpvi.com/news/political/...2997242.html#1

Old 06-19-2023, 09:38 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Outside of the City of Dover, is a hidden gem: The Town of Wyoming. Rather than elaborate on why this little town is attractive to many, I've added a link: the Town of Wyoming's newsletter (published monthly). This town may be "too slow" for some, but to others, it's "heaven".

https://wyoming.delaware.gov/files/2...oming-June.pdf
With all the chaos, crime and stress in other areas, this newsletter certainly makes Wyoming look like a great place to be. I am there a few times a week

Old 06-20-2023, 05:32 PM

9,722 posts, read 14,260,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
With all the chaos, crime and stress in other areas, this newsletter certainly makes Wyoming look like a great place to be. I am there a few times a week
No crimes to amount to anything, just a couple bicycle thefts and domestics. Heads up: We have 4-5 police officers who rake in the money from speeders, those talking on their cell phones while driving, and those not wearing seat belts. I guess the law breakers think all of that is o.k. now, like everything else.
Surprise!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware