Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 08:31 AM

144 posts, read 449,529 times

Advertisements

I have been visiting and researching the Milton and Georgetown area to move to this year and noticed there is a very high crime rate in the Georgetown area, is there a particular reason why, I.e., drugs etc? I am deciding on a house and want to make sure it's not impacting the whole town or just in a particular area of town. While driveing in the area, I encountered an awful smell, not sure what that is from, a chicken farm? Any feedback wil be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 09:22 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,913,022 times
Drugs, drugs, drugs, section eight housing, and many "transition homes" for ex-inmates and addicts located right in town. Also.....Georgetown has a prison, state service/welfare office, probation and parole, and courts. These also attract some undesirables. Chicken manure is spread on the field by the prison....this smell is awful. There are some good areas in G-town, but they are becoming few and far between. Seems every week some innocent person gets jumped and robbed in broad daylight by some junkie.

Did I mention drugs???

Old 04-18-2017, 09:48 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,521,600 times
You've got to thank beachliz for the honesty..

Old 04-18-2017, 11:11 AM

Thanks Beachliz for the info, it's valuable information.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:26 AM

You're welcome. Honesty--always the best policy!!!

Old 04-18-2017, 02:51 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culater88 View Post
Thanks Beachliz for the info, it's valuable information.
Beach Liz is an invaluable resource on Lower Delaware, so I would take what she said to heart as fact and not just opinion.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:26 PM

The development I visited was the Hawthorne in Georgetown - Harbeson, anyone one moved in there yet and does anoyone know how far is it from downtown Georgetown. Seemed like the crime rate in Sussex county is high overall.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:31 PM

Harbeson isn't bad although I am not familiar with that development. A friend of mine lives in Harbeson and she says it's quiet. You're far enough removed from Georgetown that the car-less dirtbags in town won't be walking around your neighborhood. It's a quick drive to downtown G-town--maybe ten minutes depending on traffic.
Crime rate in Delaware is high in general due to drugs (heroin everywhere and meth in poor/rural areas) and poverty. Plenty of drugs and poor people in this state.

And thanks for the compliment, Nuts!!

Old 04-19-2017, 04:16 AM

9,726 posts, read 14,271,125 times
^ I agree with Liz. Georgetown is a real mess! Unfortunately, that Georgetown crime wave has been moving east, where the bad guys think the money is. Looking at the crime maps for the beach area is discouraging, especially West Rehoboth. With the tourist season kicking in, the beach area is a definite target for crime. So, there are limited areas in Delaware having no, or little crime. I'd advise anyone moving to a particular area to check with the Delaware State Troop closest to the property of interest.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:24 AM

Yeah, rdlr, it's a shame. G-town was a nice, quiet town back when I attended high school there. Of course, this was back in the early 90's. I remember going over to a friend's house and her parents left the door unlocked 24/7!! They lived right in town near the circle too....which now has plenty of crime. I'm willing to bet they no longer leave their door unlocked!

Yep, plenty of crime everywhere now. Most of the beach crime is non-violent property crime/theft although Rehoboth sees its fair share of violent crime (muggings, assaults, etc.) year-round now and especially during tourist season. Most violent crime at the beach can be avoided by being aware of one's surroundings at all times and NOT going out alone at night, especially if you're female. Oh, and avoid west Rehoboth!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware