Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 01:39 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,159,193 times

Advertisements

American Freight is a well-established chain. I don't know a ton about them and have never shopped there, but my sister bought some things from a store of theirs in another state about a month ago. No problems with the items or the shopping experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2022, 05:49 AM

13,058 posts, read 18,141,425 times
Thanks, I will pass your comments along to her.

Old 05-11-2022, 07:57 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,428,847 times
I am curious how the beach areas came thru the storm on the weekend of May 7 and 8. I have seen some pictures of storm damage to beaches and dunes in Rehoboth Beach and Dewey Beach. Were the state parks -Cape Henlopen and Delaware Seashore State Park - affected? Thanks.

Old 05-12-2022, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
I am curious how the beach areas came thru the storm on the weekend of May 7 and 8. I have seen some pictures of storm damage to beaches and dunes in Rehoboth Beach and Dewey Beach. Were the state parks -Cape Henlopen and Delaware Seashore State Park - affected? Thanks.
I can't speak specifically to either, but based upon what I saw in Dewey and Rehoboth, I find it almost impossible to think that they did not have any impact to the shoreline. There is a shelf in Dewey to get from the beach to the water and the same in Rehoboth so I can't imagine the sand has not shifted at the very least.
I will say I have seen storm damage on LI and this was as bad as I have ever seen.

Old 05-12-2022, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I can't speak specifically to either, but based upon what I saw in Dewey and Rehoboth, I find it almost impossible to think that they did not have any impact to the shoreline. There is a shelf in Dewey to get from the beach to the water and the same in Rehoboth so I can't imagine the sand has not shifted at the very least.
I will say I have seen storm damage on LI and this was as bad as I have ever seen.
Thank you for your response. I saw photos put up online and the damage looked serious. I might be in Dagsboro Sunday at the botanic garden, so can make a detour to stop by Cape Henlopen State Park afterwards. Today it was announced no lifeguards this summer in Lewes.

Old 05-13-2022, 06:05 AM

Rehoboth has both guards and seasonal police but housing has been a problem for them. We ordinarily have approximately 1000 International students here annually. We might have 250 this year. Things are so desperate that the hotels have allotted rooms to the students so they have housekeeping staffs. I saw an ad for a room with a full bed ,a tiny night stand and a set of bunk beds for $200 per person per week. When I tell you that all of that was on a single wall, you can only imagine the greed. Back in 2019 - the last year we had a full student population here, that same room might have gone for $125 tops!

It is so bad that the sponsors have not placed the students here this year due to the lack of affordable housing.

Old 05-13-2022, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Rehoboth has both guards and seasonal police but housing has been a problem for them. We ordinarily have approximately 1000 International students here annually. We might have 250 this year. Things are so desperate that the hotels have allotted rooms to the students so they have housekeeping staffs. I saw an ad for a room with a full bed ,a tiny night stand and a set of bunk beds for $200 per person per week. When I tell you that all of that was on a single wall, you can only imagine the greed. Back in 2019 - the last year we had a full student population here, that same room might have gone for $125 tops!

It is so bad that the sponsors have not placed the students here this year due to the lack of affordable housing.
Sounds like a real serious problem - nearby housing is too expensive and heavy summer traffic would make traveling from more affordable areas impossible. Thanks to those who are trying to find a solution.

Old 07-25-2022, 11:42 AM

9,729 posts, read 14,277,036 times
Disclosure: I'm a Delaware native. Well, I bit the bullet and took a ride down to Rehoboth Beach, from Kent County, last evening (Sunday). I needed to get out, so the Boardwalk and seeing The Fabulous Grease Band at Rehoboth's Grandstand would be fun. Well, it was not fun. I was so wrong in thinking it wouldn't be so crowded on a Sunday evening. It started off just great! I found a parking place on Rehoboth Avenue, less than half a block from the bandstand! Unfortunately, things went downhill after that. The place was crawling with out-of-staters. How do I know? Not only were there out-of-state license plates, but people were not friendly. I'm not accustomed to that, but Never Mind. I found a seat at the bandstand, and sat around many others for an hour waiting for the show. I tried to strike up a conversation with 2 ladies next to me, but they obviously thought I was strange to even talk with them. Not one to be discouraged easily, I turned around and spoke to an older guy behind me. He looked HORRIFIED and turned his head. So the Fabulous Grease Band started at 8 a.m. I pride myself in having seen enough bands in my lifetime, thanks to my musician children, to quickly arrive at my final musical opinion. With "1" being exceptional, and "10" being very, very bad", I rated the band a "10". I knew they did "oldies" but I thought they would do them well, according to their reviews. But my opinion (of "corny") means nothing, because the old fogies just went ape over them. I might add, I'm an old fogie, older than a lot of the old fogies there. So, I bit the bullet, AGAIN, stayed for half an hour to see if the Fabulous Grease Band would become fabulous.....they didn't. So, at 8:25 p.m. I left the really happy admirers of the band and bought a small orange ice cream cone at Kohr's on the boardwalk ($6.00) .... but, hey, it's the beach. The short walk to my car finalized my opinion. The sidewalks were crowded....again, no eye contact from any adult. They looked like nice families, but why would they let their teen-age daughters walk around almost naked? So...again....Never Mind. I jumped in my car and happily headed back to Kent County. It was worth the $6.00 cone, and $9.50 parking tab, to refresh my memory as to why I've stayed away from the beach area during the summer for so many years. So, next weekend, back to Bowers Beach I will go to enjoy conversation and music with the locals there.

Last edited by rdlr; 07-25-2022 at 12:05 PM..

Old 07-25-2022, 11:56 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,915,019 times
I know what you mean, rdlr. Hubs and totally avoid anything above the Indian River inlet from May-September meaning we don't go there at all. We still limit our travels even into the fall. We also won't travel anywhere north of Millsboro during the same time period due to the awful traffic and aggressiveness. It gets worse and worse. Berlin and Ocean City has become our new playground, but we avoid OCMD until after Labor Day as well due to the degenerates and drugs (pot smoke everywhere).

I used to be totally in love with where I live, but these past two years have really been an eye opener. People are not as nice, I don't get to enjoy the things I used to enjoy, and I have had to battle with a couple of these new neighbors who don't understand how to act properly or what it means to be considerate. What's sad is they are older than us and we had to educate them on proper neighborly behavior. It is really and truly shameful what the area has become, and now that my husband retired early we can move at any time. This market though....THAT is the drawback. However, I can tell you one thing--my next home will not be in a busy resort area, will not have neighbors nearby, and will not have an HOA!

Old 07-25-2022, 02:03 PM

9,729 posts, read 14,277,036 times
I hear 'ya, Liz! Everybody always says....it's everywhere, this mass race to be in a resort town. My kids LOVE Berlin, and go often. That's their get-away place.

I'm lucky that I live in a small town, in Kent County. I just thought I'd give it a try going to the beach, since I hadn't been there in a long time. It's worse, much worse. BUT, even in our little town, newcomers from elsewhere have moved in and want to change everything. And, I have a new neighbor....real unfriendly, hateful people. When I think that we moved off a 160 acre farm to have hateful neighbors next door, it makes me sick.

Well, the market is in your favor, Liz! Example: I see houses listed for $300,000 and then there are bidding wars, increasing the sales price to $325,000 or more! Two years ago, that $300,000 house was considered to be in the $250,000 range.

Hope you find you quiet haven, soon! It's just a different time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware