Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 09:42 PM

3 posts, read 11,825 times

Advertisements

Trying to get information on the most common medical insurance accepted by doctors in the state. If anyone canhelp with some info it would be great. Also, we're trying to slow down a bit from NYC, but not looking to stop all together. Looking for towns with multiple restaurant options, bars and activities. Any thoughts on some nice towns would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 04:12 PM

29 posts, read 70,913 times
My husband and I moved to Middletown from the Upper West Side about a month ago. I can't offer any help on your health insurance question, so sorry. We were looking for a change of pace and we got a big one. We were exhausted from the chaos, the noise, the dirty everything in NYC. After 10 years in various neighborhoods, we just needed a yard and some peace and quiet. For the record, we are in our 30's with no kids yet. We looked into Hockessin, Pike Creek, North Wilmington, Bear, Newark and Middletown. We ended up in Middletown simply because we are renting for the first year we are living here and this is where we found a townhouse rental. We do like it, the cost of living is cheaper and it is much less crowded than other areas. Maybe too opposite the city for you - but we are happy. We did not like Bear and liked only parts of Newark. Without knowing more, I couldn't give more advice but I'm happy to add more if you provide more criteria. Granted, we are newbies so maybe some of the residents who have lived here a while will chime in for you.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:15 AM

407 posts, read 966,408 times
Hello,
I am in NY, currently about 50 miles East of the City on Long Island, plan on moving to DE within a year....but I lived in The Bronx 39 years out of my 54. Went to school and worked in Manhattan for many years...so yeah...I am definitely CITYfied! But 14 years ago...I had a daughter ready to start school and a son already in 7th grade....and the City just didn't cut it anymore. Now my son is married, a teacher...and he moved to DC in order to get a teaching job which was not going to happen around here. My daughter is disabled, and will be out of High school soon. We plan on moving to Delaware as the taxes are just oppressive here in NY as both of you probably know. In my opinion the City is on it's way back to how dirty and crappy it was in the 1970's...the homeless population has exploded, the squeegeemen are back....just not on a good path and no reason to think it's going to get better anytime soon. Plus, we lost someone at Ground Zero on 9/11....went down to the memorial a few weeks ago. Actually made me mad....over ten years later, and the buildings are still only half built, they are already 5 billion over budget...NY has basically become a joke. Do I sound jaded??? We have made many trips to Delaware (it's a good meeting point with my son too..2 hours for him, 3 for us)and looked all over the State. We have decided on either Middletown or Newark....the thing with Newark is there are some great areas and some not so nice.....we have really narrowed it down to a few small neighborhoods. I have had health issues and need to walk a lot...so walking to stores etc. is very high on my list and we have found some great places to live that are walking distance to a lot of amenities. Anyhow, sorry about the long post...it is therapeutic for me :-).
I had a few health insurance questions about Delaware and contacted these folks, they were helpful and can probably answer any questions you may have:
Health Insurance from Our Insurance Carriers | Newark, DE
I am not affiliated with them or anything. I would assume any healthcare broker would be able to answer your questions.
Anyway thanks for letting me vent...and hopefully I'll be down there within a year as I'm really tired of NY.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:44 AM

3 posts, read 11,825 times
Thanks for the info. My wife and I just retired from city jobs. I'm 50 my wife is early 40's. Looking to slow down a bit from NYC but that might mean living anywhere other than NYC. Looking for a nice modest 2500 sq ft home with some space and not on top of anyone. Need to be near shopping, restaurants, hospital. We are trying to stay no more than 20 miles from the ocean. Definately do not want city life, but don't want a day trip to go for milk.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:43 PM

35 posts, read 64,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadon6169 View Post
Thanks for the info. My wife and I just retired from city jobs. I'm 50 my wife is early 40's. Looking to slow down a bit from NYC but that might mean living anywhere other than NYC. Looking for a nice modest 2500 sq ft home with some space and not on top of anyone. Need to be near shopping, restaurants, hospital. We are trying to stay no more than 20 miles from the ocean. Definately do not want city life, but don't want a day trip to go for milk.
Lewes/Rehoboth is great for retirees, it's at the beach, there's amazing outlet shopping and Beebe Medical Center. What is your budget?

Old 02-25-2012, 06:02 AM

103 posts, read 360,385 times
I moved to Magnolia 9 months ago from Bucks County, pa. A lot of the reasons sited by others are the same reasons that prompted me to move to DE. I was paying over 10 grand in taxes. After 2 years of detailed research, and a couple trips later, I chose Magnolia, which is 10 minutes below Dover, because the housing development is nice, low taxes, etc. and, we're 35 minutes to Rehobeth. 10 minutes to a lovely bay beach. Dover has most amenities such as hospitals and shopping. However, there isn't a lot of choice. Another thing, there are a lot of military families down here and not being part of the club sort of leaves us out of, well, the club. The houses in my development are selling like hot cakes and the building never ceases. The banging and deliveries of cement and wood, etc are a blessed site for my economy weary eyes. In other word, I'm very happy to see that people are working hard, working hard to sell, build, buy and maintain. Lots of folks have gone on about how friendly Delaware dwellers are, but no one here in my development is from Delaware so, the friendly factor doesn't apply. My husband and I are retired teachers so were youngish and since I mentioned earlier that there isn't a lot of choice, we are quite bored with the area. Next year we are going to move up state toward Middletown to be closer to civilization and to have more choices of things to do. We will then also be closer to our grown kids who live in Philly. If anyone wants more information on any of the points I've made, I'll be happy to expound. Lots more to tell.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:51 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,910,003 times
Jadon6169--Blue Cross/Blue Shield is very popular in Delaware. We have it and it's accepted basically everywhere, if this helps any.

If you are interested in the beach resorts, then I can advise. I'd also agree that Rehoboth/Lewes area would be a good choice if you choose to live in Sussex. Lots to do, you can walk everywhere, plenty of restaurants and bars, etc. Oh, and Beebe Hospital is right in Lewes. Like you, I do not care for city life at all, but I would not want to live in a rural location either. I used to live right in Lewes and it's my second most favorite place I have ever lived. My town (Ocean View) also has many stores within walking distance, but there are not as many restaurants, bars, stores, etc. so it sounds as if Rehoboth/Lewes may have what you need. Depending on your budget, I can give advice on developments in Lewes/Rehoboth. Hope this helps.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:35 AM

2 posts, read 6,700 times
Red face Best health insurance plans for Delaware

i will be moving to the Dover area within the next 6 months. I will need to get health insurance for myself. My husband has his own. We are moving from Long Island and are looking forward to the low tax rates, low property taxes and slower pace of life. Any suggestions ??? we a both 56 yrs old and retired.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:30 AM

103 posts, read 360,385 times
I recommend calling Dover Family Physicians and asking the receptionist your health insurance question. It's a big practice and they'll have your best answer. 302-734-2500.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,200 times
We are considering moving to Delaware from Long Island. As with others we do not want to travel for milk and would like some of the bigger amenities, but we are deffinately looking for Good medical as we are aging and I am a cancer survivor (x2) plus would like an area where son (early 20's) will be able to find work (psychologist) and also a safe area. any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware