Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:07 AM

9 posts, read 105,113 times

Advertisements

Hi ,
I'm considering moving to Bear, and I was wondering what it's like. If you live there please give me your opinion on it. If you know anything helpful please give me some advice. I would really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 01:15 PM

127 posts, read 489,932 times
Bear is mass suburbia. If you're looking for a community feeling, this isn't the place. But if you're looking for convenience and affordability, you might like it.

Not too long ago Bear was a quiet area with a few neighborhoods and a major road running thru it (rt. 40, which before I-95 took folks to Baltimore). Delaware's population exploded in the 1980s with the banking industry... and I remember a zillion neighborhoods popping up in Bear all at one time. Later came the shopping centers. Now, whenever growth is criticized in lower Delaware, you'll hear people say "we don't want _____ to turn out like another Bear".

But in Bear you'll find affordable houses, some in nice neighborhoods, with dirt cheap property taxes. There is plenty to do, shopping is convenient, movie theaters, restaurants, grocery stores, etc. It's actually a good time to move to Bear, since things have been worked out now that the quick-growth is a couple of decades old... for instance, they've recently got a new library, new elementary school, a new park is being worked on (toward Glasgow) in addition to several existing parks. It's very ethnically diverse. There are a few neighborhoods to avoid in Bear, but New Castle County provides a map with crime statistics:
New Castle County

I'm not sure where you are moving from, but Delaware itself is a pretty easy place to live. The job market is decent. Weekend trips are 2 hours away.... the beach, the mountains, Wash. D.C., and NYC. I've lived in Delaware all my life, and I'm fond of it, but I'm hanging out on this board because it's becoming too congested for me and I'd like to find a place more rural and quiet, where I can rely less on my car!

Good luck!

Old 08-11-2007, 05:10 PM

Thank you sooo much mikandmari for the information it really helped. I'm moving from NJ because everything is too expensive. Taxes are sky high, homes are expensive...lets just say it's not worth living there.....especially if you have a family...you'd be dead broke..lol

Last edited by misspascal; 08-11-2007 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: tmi

Old 08-11-2007, 05:25 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,668,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misspascal View Post
Thank you sooo much mikandmari for the information it really helped. I'm moving from NJ because everything is too expensive. Taxes are sky high, homes are expensive...lets just say it's not worth living there.....especially if you have a family...you'd be dead broke..lol
NJ is a killer. A lot of folks are moving from Jersey. Too darn expensive.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:29 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
We have lived in Bear for almost nine years and still like it. There are many sections of Bear. It is a little quieter near Lums Pond and currently there is a one-acre property for sale for about $123K. We actually thought about buying it, but I don't want septic. I am on the Glasgow Park committee and can tell you that we have good people working on making it a great park. The new YMCA looks like it will be finished fairly soon. New restaurants are opening. There is congestion, but very few places have no traffic. Schools are getting better and we feel that it is a good quality of life. Good luck in your decision.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:16 PM

Thumbs up thank you for your insight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
We have lived in Bear for almost nine years and still like it. There are many sections of Bear. It is a little quieter near Lums Pond and currently there is a one-acre property for sale for about $123K. We actually thought about buying it, but I don't want septic. I am on the Glasgow Park committee and can tell you that we have good people working on making it a great park. The new YMCA looks like it will be finished fairly soon. New restaurants are opening. There is congestion, but very few places have no traffic. Schools are getting better and we feel that it is a good quality of life. Good luck in your decision.

The congestion is not a problem for me..traffic is everywhere..especially where i live now...i can deal with that...i just want to make sure I'm making a good move...but I guess I'll find that out soon thanks for your comments!And if you can add anything else i would be grateful

Old 08-12-2007, 06:18 PM

Default Expensive and overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
NJ is a killer. A lot of folks are moving from Jersey. Too darn expensive.

I've lived in Jersey for 20 years...and its time for a change

Old 09-05-2011, 03:54 AM

5 posts, read 21,590 times
Mikandmarie, In your opinion, what are the areas in Bear that should be avoided because of crime. I'm really considering Brennan Estates. The homes there look good, and the cost is reasonable at 275,000 - 350,000. What do you know about this area? If anybody else can share some insight it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Ann512; 09-05-2011 at 03:56 AM.. Reason: Spelling errors

Old 09-05-2011, 06:45 AM

377 posts, read 1,114,631 times
We live right behind Brennan and I cannot say enough good things about it. I think it is a cute neighborhood. It is a very family oriented neighborhood. The houses are reasonably priced too.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:13 AM

700 posts, read 1,817,874 times
Brennan Estates appears to be a nice family place. I drive through there many times but don't live there. One thing to keep in mind, if you need something, I think the nearest place is Peoples Plaza on Rt 40. Take a look at Google Earth and see if this distance is a bother. Myself, I'd embrace it.
Also, there is a good Elementary school right in the community if you have little kiddies.
Seems far enough to feel like country yet close enough to not be 'stuck in the sticks' if you know what I mean.
Yards appear well kept as well as the houses. I 'think' there are townhomes as well as single family. I'll have to take a second look next time.
Google earth can be a good friend. I think they have a lot of street views in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann512 View Post
Mikandmarie, In your opinion, what are the areas in Bear that should be avoided because of crime. I'm really considering Brennan Estates. The homes there look good, and the cost is reasonable at 275,000 - 350,000. What do you know about this area? If anybody else can share some insight it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware