Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 03:59 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,794,529 times

Advertisements

Dover Teacher Arrested for Raping Student - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas ...

Seriously, how freakin stupid can some of these teachers be? Again and again its embarrassing, not to mention the agony for the 14 year old girl and her family. I would prefer Delaware to lead the nation in education, not in molesting, raping, and handing out drugs and alcohol to minors.

The department of education needs to do some serious investigating of all teachers and administrators, this state is too small and does not have the amount of people in it to support this kind of disgusting immoral behavior from teachers on a regular basis just this year.

After the Cape Henlopen wrestling coach was caught raping a student, I have written to the DOE on a monthly basis about whats going on and what they're doing about it, I guess I should write them weekly. Don't forget about the victims, but now think of the huge lawsuits these school districts are going to endure at a time when federal stimulus money is running out for the schools. All of us have a steak in this, especially at tax time not to mention the students who do go to these schools being embarrassed and the victims. Our kids go to schools to learn, its bad enough bullying is still going on from other students but this behavior from teachers is unacceptable and must not be tolerated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 04:08 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,047,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Seriously, how freakin stupid can some of these teachers be?
Thank you for bashing an entire profession because of a few bad apples, and for continuing to highlight all the bad news you can find. Is there nothing positive to write about?

Old 02-14-2011, 04:09 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,172,001 times
The state of arkansas does background checks on us on a regular basis, every time we reup on our licenses. What's the problem in delaware?

Old 02-14-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Thank you for smearing an entire profession because of a few bad apples, and for continuing to highlight all the bad news you can find.
Look, it happens. We all know it. Fact is child molesters are drawn to the profession just like their drawn to any profession that brings them into contact with children. Just look at the catholic priest............thing. We in the profession need to come up with some pretty damn high standards and winnow these folks out of the profession as often as is possible.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Look, it happens. We all know it. Fact is child molesters are drawn to the profession just like their drawn to any profession that brings them into contact with children. Just look at the catholic priest............thing. We in the profession need to come up with some pretty damn high standards and winnow these folks out of the profession as often as is possible.
I understand what you are saying. I just have a problem with the way that an entire profession is bashed because of a few who should not be amongst it's members.

"You in the profession" do have high standards and rigorous educational requirements in order to achieve and maintain a position as a teacher. Unfortunately, as in many professions, bums do seem find a way to work themselves into positions in which they do not belong.

I've had many opportunities to interact with teachers. I was an active parent with three children going through the public schools, I was a five-term PTA President, and in recent years, my wife and daughter both became teachers. The vast majority of those whom I've encountered are caring professionals who do a very good job, sometimes under less that desirable circumstances.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Thank you for bashing an entire profession because of a few bad apples, and for continuing to highlight all the bad news you can find. Is there nothing positive to write about?
I didn't bash an entire profession just some, I believe teachers should be held to a higher standard and 99% of them are awesome the other 1% isn't my fault, you don't have to raise kids in this state so why do you care anyway? As for positive, I wrote about music theater opening up in Wilmington, a couple of people cared, I wrote about Delaware trying to get a national park maybe one person really cared, I write all the time about Lewes, about things to do in the state. You seem to show up when I write something negative, believe it or not I have people on this forum that agree with me. I'll continue to post public information good and bad, as I see fit.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
you don't have to raise kids in this state so why do you care anyway?
I care because the kids who are being educated today in Delaware will be my future doctors, nurses, dentists, accountants, lawyers and other professionals. I believe in quality education and support it not just for my three kids but for all.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I care because the kids who are being educated today in Delaware will be my future doctors, nurses, dentists, accountants, lawyers and other professionals. I believe in quality education and support it not just for my three kids but for all.
Well then you will be to know, well I am anyway that the Brandywine School District passed out basically contracts to all its employees saying that they can have no outside contact with students, ex, Facebook. I believe these contracts came in the wake of the teacher from Lake Forest High in Delaware who was caught last March 2010 for having sex with a student over the previous Thanksgiving. Apparently they were facebook friends. If they are caught its immediate termination. Things like this will happen, but its happening too much in a small area in a too short period of time.
Its one thing every five years, but not three times, this year already, being on the Philly news. As I said before I consider this forum to be a relocation forum, people looking to come to Delaware should have an idea about whats going on in the schools good and bad. If I was considering moving here with young kids yes I'd still come but these stories would be in the back of my head as they would be at any school anywhere.

I don't understand why child molesters would be drawn to teaching, teachers can get married and they don't take vows of celibacy. I'd say more like perverts.

Last edited by James420; 02-14-2011 at 06:19 PM..

Old 02-14-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I understand what you are saying. I just have a problem with the way that an entire profession is bashed because of a few who should not be amongst it's members.

"You in the profession" do have high standards and rigorous educational requirements in order to achieve and maintain a position as a teacher. Unfortunately, as in many professions, bums do seem find a way to work themselves into positions in which they do not belong.

I've had many opportunities to interact with teachers. I was an active parent with three children going through the public schools, I was a five-term PTA President, and in recent years, my wife and daughter both became teachers. The vast majority of those whom I've encountered are caring professionals who do a very good job, sometimes under less that desirable circumstances.
Well, you got that right. Still, there are vermin who come into this profession simply because of the children. I personally feel we can do a better job than we're doing. I know of two situations whereby women were dating high school kids and no police were called in at a school I taught at. It's a travesty. It shouldn't be allowed to happen. We need to do better.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Well then you will be to know, well I am anyway that the Brandywine School District passed out basically contracts to all its employees saying that they can have no outside contact with students, ex, Facebook. I believe these contracts came in the wake of the teacher from Lake Forest High in Delaware who was caught last March 2010 for having sex with a student over the previous Thanksgiving. Apparently they were facebook friends. If they are caught its immediate termination. Things like this will happen, but its happening too much in a small area in a too short period of time.
Its one thing every five years, but not three times, this year already, being on the Philly news. As I said before I consider this forum to be a relocation forum, people looking to come to Delaware should have an idea about whats going on in the schools good and bad. If I was considering moving here with young kids yes I'd still come but these stories would be in the back of my head as they would be at any school anywhere.

I don't understand why child molesters would be drawn to teaching, teachers can get married and they don't take vows of celibacy. I'd say more like perverts.
They are perverts. That's why they are drawn to the teaching profession, among many other professions I might add. You need to put some thought into this. If you were attracted to young boys or girls........where would you go to be near them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware