Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 06:44 AM

589 posts, read 1,349,989 times

Advertisements

We've arrived in Delaware. Still unpacking, still getting familiar with the area. We're in the suburbs of Newark, near the Glasgow area.

Now I need to know.... What's the best...

Grocery stores
restaurants
Chinese food
bagels
pizza
park
playground
general shopping
etc, etc, etc......

I know the newspaper does one of these surveys every year, but I'm impatient, I wanna know NOW!

So tell me Delaware.......... where do I go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 08:17 AM

9,739 posts, read 14,298,364 times
Hope this helps:
Best Of - Delaware

Old 10-26-2010, 08:54 AM

347 posts, read 864,764 times
Hey CarrieM, glad you have "arrived". I would like some "Best Ofs" for electrician (for changing lighting fixtures) and landscaper (for tree shrub planting). Also Best Holiday Show to take the family to.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:53 PM

152 posts, read 652,038 times
Welcome to the area CarrieM. The good thing about NewCastle County (upper 1/3 of De.) is that everything is at your fingertips. That and you can just about walk to any of those items you have listed. I don't know exactly where in Glasgow you live but you will see when you go out and about. The best of anything can only be deemed by you. Enjoy your new home and surroundings.

Oh yeah, one more tid-bit and that would be to join Delaware online and Newark Post for local news and events.

Last edited by Don57; 10-26-2010 at 02:15 PM..

Old 10-26-2010, 08:28 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,885,038 times
best park for you would be Lums pond. For chinese food I would go to this huge chinese buffet at people's plaza (I think it's hongkong). normally I don't go to buffets, but I like there mongolian cook to order station.

not sure about the grocery shopping in he area though .... besides superfresh/superG etc I would recommend to give the co-op on newark's mainstreet and trader joe's on 202 a try.
well, and costco, of course

Last edited by queenofbavaria; 10-26-2010 at 08:36 PM..

Old 10-28-2010, 08:22 AM

445 posts, read 1,437,790 times
I've moved to new states and cultures several times (including here), and while all you ask is important here are a few fun things that make DE special.

-A University of Delaware football game. There are no bad seats (view wise; bring seat cushions), tickets start at $9 and it is high level college football. Delawareans love their football team. If you decide to come to the Nov 6th game message me privately. I'll throw some hot dogs on the grill for you and family.
-This is a perfect time to make a day trip to the beach.
- Main Street Newark and the UD campus. Have a burger at Klondike Kates of some local flavor.
-A day trip to Lancaster and Amish country.

And to answer your question.
-Join Costco. The closest Sams Club is in Dover. BJ's Wholesale club is another option, but Costco is my personal preference.
- Safeway in Peoples Plaza and Acme (part of the Albertsons, Jewel, etc group) a two of the most popular grocery stores.
-I am a born Chicago and the wrong guy to ask about DE pizza, but unique to DE is white pizza from Grottos.
- Christiana is a great mall (Costco area) and the outlet malls are at the beach area. No sales tax makes them worth the drive if you plan to spend some money.
-Dutch Country Farmers Market in Middletown is a Amish food market.

Welcome and good luck.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:10 PM

53 posts, read 140,825 times
I just moved to Newark, and although I was only 10 miles away before, I'm also learning where the "good stuff" is.

In the Suburban Plaza shopping center (where Route 4 meets Elkton Road/Route 2)... I've found that Amalfi Pizza has really good food. For grocery shopping, Shoprite (also on Route 4, across from Marrows Road) has the best overall prices, at the other stores I just stick to the sale items.

If you like chicken & dumplings, check out Baker's Restaurant in Elkton, Maryland on Route 213 on Thursday nights. Only $6.99! Another spot to check out in Maryland is the Chesapeake Inn. I'm not a "bar" person, but the downstairs restaurant/marina is a really enjoyable and pretty place.

If you like to check out "Main Street" areas, visit North East, Maryland as well as Newark's Main Street. It has some wonderful little shops with unique stuff.

The 896 Diner near the I-95 interchange serves a pretty good breakfast.

You now have an endless supply of wonderful parks to visit... Lum's Pond would be the closest to you. If you prefer hills & scenery head north to Newark.... White Clay Creek including Carpenter's Park (Route 896) is stunning. Or it you like water, you are a short drive to Turkey Point, below North East, MD.

That's just some stuff off the top of my head. Hopefully, you'll find that this area has a nice mix of city/rural, flatlands/hilly, cultural/redneck, etc.... Something for everyone!

Old 11-02-2010, 05:29 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,420,705 times
I would like someone to tell me where to get a good bagel in Wilmington - is there anywhere?

Old 11-02-2010, 06:46 AM

377 posts, read 1,116,574 times
I am not sure where to get a good bagel in Wilmington, but in Newark (Peoples Plaza) there is a little place called Whereabouts that we like to go to.

grocery-- Safeway or Pathmark (I miss Wegmans)

I love Chesapeake Inn. I did not like 896 diner. I love Guilidays on Rt 40 in Newark neark Elkton for breakfast.

Anyone know where to get a good pork roll, egg, and cheese sandwich?

Old 11-02-2010, 07:22 AM

445 posts, read 1,437,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
I would like someone to tell me where to get a good bagel in Wilmington - is there anywhere?
Einsteins on Marsh Road. And before anyone shoots the messenger remember the question was "best bagel IN Wilmington"

The impress your friends option is UPS from NYC. Regular shipping is next day so they are only 24 hours old. 5 seconds in the mircrowave and they are almost perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware