Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2015, 07:23 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times

Advertisements

Right after i posted this it rained like the devil for about 50 seconds then stopped. That may have been our storm.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:45 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
But the funny thing is I can NOT sleep if it's raining not matter if we're camping or home in our all brick house. Mom always said it was because when we were stationed on Taiwan ( !967-1969) there was an awful Typhoon that flooded two stories out of three in our school. I may have told this story here before but to this day big storms really freak me out, especially if I'm alone. Give me a nice gentle rain or have hubby home and I'm fine.
I think the Taiwan flooding is exactly why you can't sleep when it rains. Things from our childhoods stay with us. I remember when we were stationed in NY. I was 4 or 5. I didn't like the crust on bread and refused to eat it. My babysitter me that children who refuse to eat the crust would end up in a "crust prison" where they had to eat their way out through miles and miles of crust. I had nightmares about it. When I told my parents I never had that babysitter again. I don't mind crust at all. In fact I'm quite fond of the crust on rye bread.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I think the Taiwan flooding is exactly why you can't sleep when it rains. Things from our childhoods stay with us. I remember when we were stationed in NY. I was 4 or 5. I didn't like the crust on bread and refused to eat it. My babysitter me that children who refuse to eat the crust would end up in a "crust prison" where they had to eat their way out through miles and miles of crust. I had nightmares about it. When I told my parents I never had that babysitter again. I don't mind crust at all. In fact I'm quite fond of the crust on rye bread.
That is to funny!!!!
I was really fond of the saying " because I said so" raising my kiddo for that same reason, not wanting to make stuff up to scare her. It seems to have worked.

I'm not as bad anymore but when my daughter was tiny I couldn't hold her during a storm. I guess the fear was transferring into her. I could sit next to her and calm her, just not hold her. That crazy girl now loves storms. Go figure.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:08 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Ketabcha, I agree that is too funny, although I'm sure it wasnt funny at the time

Camper, your area is supposed to get a lot of rain on Sunday, just like Houston. And poor Ketabcha, looks like you're in for more of the wet stuff:

Old 10-24-2015, 05:24 AM

Well, Camper, looks like you're getting some rain now. I dont know if it's from the hurricane but at least you're getting wet. Not a drop here and nothing on the radar so far. Ketabcha is still getting soaked -- how many days is it now that rain has been lingering up there?

Sorry to be discussing so much weather, the rest of yall, but weather is a pretty big deal right now.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:26 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
It has not been too bad where I live but poor Corsicana got 18" of rain yesterday. A train was derailed by the water. Yikes!

However, we really needed the rain just like the entire state of Texas. It's not like we can all climb a mountain to avoid the flooding....unless we are in Big Bend.

Seriously, I can hear the grass, trees and shrubs giggling. They are so happy.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:31 AM

Here come da rain! YAY!!!

Change that to "Here come da sprinkles." Not really rain.

Camper, I asked my daughter where she goes when she camps in the Hill Country. She said she's been to Enchanted Rock a lot in the past, but they, like most TX State Parks, aren’t as dog friendly as she’d like. She prefers backcountry places. There is a “hunter’s camp” that she likes in Spicewood, near Krause Springs, which has no development and is on a creek. She also likes Hill Country State Natural Area and Colorado Bend.

Where do you go camping? She asked if you know of any dog-friendly places.

Last edited by TFW46; 10-24-2015 at 07:45 AM..

Old 10-24-2015, 08:52 AM

Weather first.....
we got rain all night long. I did manage to sleep thru most of it thanks to my little friend Ambien... love that little pill! Have no idea what time hubby got home, was still gone when I got up at 3:00 for a potty break. Just know he was here when i got up a 8:00. Hate that he has to go back in a noon, if he doesn't get called in before that, He really needs the sleep.
No idea how much we got, the little red boober in my rain gauge is stuck. My big fountain/ bird bath out front is way over full. in some places too.

Ketabcha... check in and let us know how your doing. They're showing Dallas now. I'll be on and off all day watching for any post from ya'll.

We really like the state parks because of the policy on dogs which is they must be restrained at all times. Remember I have little dogs. They also don't allow aggressive breads. But I can understand if she likes to let hers run why she wouldn't care for those parks. We were in Kerrville a few weeks ago at a private park and there was a big dog running loose. Pretty sure they were going to be asked to leave.
We don't really have much to choose from here as far as camping goes and since we have the motor home now it really doesn't matter where we go.

Stay safe everyone!!!

Old 10-24-2015, 08:56 AM

22,184 posts, read 14,796,611 times
My prayers are with you all.

Stay Dry and Safe!

Old 10-24-2015, 09:23 AM

Ok, so hubby got called in. He got home around 3:30 this morning and will work into way into the night.
As long as he was up he ran out to the rain gauge, It was running over and it's a four and a half foot gauge. No telling how long it's been full
Guess we got some rain after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff