Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2015, 07:16 AM

37 posts, read 40,533 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am looking to move to the Dayton area to be near family. I am looking to have a few acres of land, in a homey area. Schools are VERY important to me. Can you lead me in the right direction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 07:57 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,169,063 times
Sure! But you would have a number of choices, conservatively over 20. Listing all of them would do you no good.

So let's narrow it down. Answering these questions would help a lot:

-Where you are working?
-How much you are willing to spend on housing?
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
-Community amenities important to you?
-Pie or cake?

Old 06-24-2015, 06:03 PM

37 posts, read 40,533 times
My husband would be working in Dayton. We don't want to go over the 400k mark. 30 minute or less of a commute would be optimal. As long as the school district is good private or public is good with me. We are looking for a small town feeling.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:36 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,451,484 times
To the south, I would say certain parts of Kettering, Centerville, Bellbrook, or Sugarcreek Township. Maybe Spring Valley, Waynesville, or Springborro (those 3 are pushing your commute limit though). Others no the north better than me. Depending on what you are looking for, I think the area where most, if not all, of those first 4 cities come together might be best.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:48 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,090,692 times
Considering the small town feeling and your budget, I would concentrate on Bellbrook and Sugarcreek Township, both of which are part of the stellar Sugarcreek Local School District. As far as Dayton-area public schools, it is probably second only to Oakwood, especially on the smaller district scale.

Where Oakwood is small, "dense," inner-ring suburb, with a school district projecting a small footprint, Sugarcreek includes much of Sugarcreek Township and all of the City of Bellbrook. It is rather exurban and rural even in parts of the township and Bellbrook itself is more quintessential suburban with a small town center that has a library, shops, local eats, grocery, banks and gas. Also a good park there too.

The area also puts you close to shopping at Cornerstone (still in development but houses the region's Costco and a soon to be built Kroger Marketplace, think Kroger's version of the super center concept). Wilmington Pike, where Cornerstone is located, also is full of typical suburban big box chains (Walmart SC, Target, Lowes, Kohls, Home Depot, Kroger, Petsmart, Fresh Thyme Market, etc.)

Other nearby shopping is The Greene (Town Center) with plenty of restaurants and many middle and upper-middle retail stores. Cheescake Factory, Brio, McCormick's and Schmick, movie theater, LA Fitness, Apple, Old Navy and Gap are here.

Other south and east shopping districts include the Dayton Mall area (OH725 and OH741), Austin Landing (I75 and Austin Blvd) and Fairfield Commons Mall / Col. Glenn corridor (I-675 and Fairfield Road, Col. Glenn).

Hope that helps. Bellbrook to downtown can vary from where in Sugarcreek Township you are coming from. Anywhere from 20-30 minutes from parts closer to I-675 and Wilmington Pike and much of Bellbrook proper. Closer to 45 minutes from more rural areas, especially in bad snow.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:50 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,451,484 times
This is the area I was talking about. Your commute will be shorter the closer you are to I-675 and if you are north or west of I-675.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sw...fdd1b838f7f194

Old 06-24-2015, 10:26 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,169,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyMomMaXoXo View Post
My husband would be working in Dayton. We don't want to go over the 400k mark. 30 minute or less of a commute would be optimal. As long as the school district is good private or public is good with me. We are looking for a small town feeling.
Ok cool.

I will ask you to narrow down "Dayton" a little bit, just because there is a big difference in what I'd recommend if your husband was working near the VA hospital, for instance, vs. on Stanley Ave or in Belmont. A rough neighborhood or street would be great.

You can do private, but honestly the public schools are great (depending on what you are looking for).
If you're looking for and IB curriculum, or special needs, or strong arts programs I might point you towards a private district, but otherwise public schools should more than suffice.

Offhand, if your husband is downtown or north along Stanley Ave. for instance, the logical choice would be to go north. Traffic on I-75 north of Main St. is a lot more manageable than in the other direction (but in either direction traffic normally isn't bad around here).

The best places to the north in my opinion for you given your interests would be western Vandalia, Clayton/Northmont Schools, Tipp City / Monroe Twp. as well as Bethel Twp. and Elizabeth Twp. in Miami County. Brookville might also be worth a look, although it is farther.

Here's some options in Tipp City
1638 W State Route 571, Tipp City, OH 45371 is For Sale | Zillow
1054 W Evanston Rd, Tipp City, OH 45371 is For Sale | Zillow
3920 Neal Pearson Rd, Tipp City, OH 45371 is For Sale | Zillow

Here's a couple in Vandalia:
2201 Kershner Rd, Dayton, OH 45414 is For Sale | Zillow
2820 Merrill Rd, Dayton, OH 45414 is For Sale | Zillow

A couple Bethel Twp:
6365 State Route 201, Tipp City, OH 45371 is For Sale | Zillow
5225 E State Route 571, Tipp City, OH 45371 is For Sale | Zillow

A couple Clayton:
7883 Country View Ln, Brookville, OH 45309 is For Sale | Zillow
8600 Blue Teal Dr, Clayton, OH 45315 is For Sale | Zillow
(and one Trotwood... although I believe this part of Trotwood is Northmont Schools... either way it's a great setting and you'll get more house for your dollar because it's "Trotwood" by city limits, not by character or actual proximity to most of its residents though).
5430 Sherfield Dr, Dayton, OH 45426 is For Sale | Zillow

And some Brookville to finish it out
6226 Wellbaum Rd, Brookville, OH 45309 is For Sale | Zillow
6409 Diamond Mill Rd, Brookville, OH 45309 is For Sale | Zillow
9396 Dodson Rd, Brookville, OH 45309 is For Sale | Zillow

Good luck!
Please let us know how we can help narrow this down.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:06 AM

908 posts, read 1,420,523 times
There may be places in Beavercreek Twp that would work as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton