Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 06:38 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,158,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
You are welcome. I would check into everything, but I would base my decision more on the kid with the IEP. Almost all school districts around here are good.
Agreed 100%

MilMom6, most all schools around here are good. The questionable districts are Dayton City, Northridge, Trotwood, and Jefferson. Aside from those four, they are either good or great. And Kettering, Oakwood, Centerville, Bellbrook, Miamisburg, Northmont, Beavercreek, etc. (I could list more, but I'm just going for the biggest districts) all fall into the "great" category without question. What's lacking in most districts is good accommodations for kids who need special help.

As far as the STEM Academy is concerned, I think the other posters are correct, admission there is not very selective if at all (I could be wrong though). It's relatively new, and it is very narrow-focused. So if your kid is only about the math and science, by all means send them there. Not sure what the student body is like though.... my fear would be that it

Also I should note the primary "advanced" option around here is the Post-Secondary Enrollment Option Plan (PSEOP). Basically the program allows high schoolers to take classes at local colleges like WSU and Sinclair CC, and then those credits transfer on to other colleges. Additionally, it is possible to "self-study" for AP tests. I went to a smaller high school (graduated about 4 years ago), and I took 8 AP tests without AP classes for them, and passed most of the tests I took with a 3 or better (one with a 5). This might be a good option for your child, if, for instance, one HS of choice only has Calc AB and they want to do both AB and BC instead of taking Calc II at Sinclair or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 07:31 PM

76 posts, read 142,445 times
OHKID and RDreisenUD,

I appreciate that advice. On reflection, I think you are right. It sounds like between PSEOP and possibly the magnet or even judicious use of the private school (could not afford for all but maybe if needed for one or two kids) there will be options for the typical kids.

Meanwhile, if my IEP kiddo is failing in an unsupportive environment them I am kind of hosed. There just are not good, affordable private options for him. It's public school or pretty much nothing. I think I am just letting my hopes of finding "one stop shopping" at one local district cloud my judgement.

Plus if I'm not paying Oakwood taxes and higher housing costs but instead have a smaller cheaper house in Kettering I would have enough money to fund some of these other possibilities or do enrichment like with CTY classes and stuff like that.

I think you guys have a really good point. I think I will go do some more digging on Kettering.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:52 PM

430 posts, read 593,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilMom6 View Post
OHKID and RDreisenUD,

I appreciate that advice. On reflection, I think you are right. It sounds like between PSEOP and possibly the magnet or even judicious use of the private school (could not afford for all but maybe if needed for one or two kids) there will be options for the typical kids.

Meanwhile, if my IEP kiddo is failing in an unsupportive environment them I am kind of hosed. There just are not good, affordable private options for him. It's public school or pretty much nothing. I think I am just letting my hopes of finding "one stop shopping" at one local district cloud my judgement.

Plus if I'm not paying Oakwood taxes and higher housing costs but instead have a smaller cheaper house in Kettering I would have enough money to fund some of these other possibilities or do enrichment like with CTY classes and stuff like that.

I think you guys have a really good point. I think I will go do some more digging on Kettering.

I've heard some good stuff about Summit Academy: Summit Academy Schools for children with academic, social & emotional needs

Old 09-08-2014, 06:24 AM

76 posts, read 142,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandarthegreat View Post
Thanks for the link! It looks interesting! I can't figure out if it's in Dayton district or not. It says it's a "community school"--is that code for a charter school? (Here anyone can apply to the charter if you are willing to drive the child there; it's not restricted to a particular district.)

Or do they just mean it's more like a magnet school--not really a home school for any particular neighborhood but anyone in district could apply? (But folks out of the district are not eligible except if the school has spaces they can't fill with people in district.$

It also talks about school choice being allowed under Ohio law. In practice, how does that work? (Or precisely, does it work? Do you see kids from Dayton in say Beavercreek schools?

In theory, the district where we currently live is bad enough ("failing" under NCLB) we are eligible to apply to other schools but friends tell me it's hard to get accepted because it is "space available" and the good schools don't seem to have space so we have never done it.

Does it actually happen up there?

Old 09-08-2014, 01:09 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,158,013 times
^There is school choice.

I do not know all the ins and outs, but it is possible for kids to "open-enroll" at another public district that is not their own. If I understand correctly, the barriers to entry basically reside with the schools - they determine how many students they can handle and allow open enrollees as they can. At my former HS, over 5% of students in my graduating class were open enrollees. But it would be worth it to get in contact with the individual schools and ask - they should give an honest answer.

Or if you go the private school route, the Summit Academy is right by IMO Dayton's most beautiful neighborhood - Deweese Park (NOT its most walkable though - it's a car-dependent place). Not sure what your budget is, but I'd give it a look. in particular there is a very nice mid-century modern house there with a wonderful setting and pool as well as a nice Cape Cod across the street with a lot of real-wood paneling (take that for what it's worth) but a good price and a stunningly beautiful yard. Here they are (and some others):

1322 Neva Dr, Dayton, OH 45414 is For Sale - Zillow (mid-century mod)
2980 Ensley Ave, Dayton, OH 45414 is For Sale - Zillow (cape cod)
3220 Deweese Pkwy, Dayton, OH 45414 is For Sale - Zillow (Nice place right on the park)
1375 E Siebenthaler Ave, Dayton, OH 45414 is For Sale - Zillow (my dream house haha if I had another $100k to throw at it in renovations on top of the $250k asking price...)

Old 09-08-2014, 07:44 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,446,655 times
Wow. Those are some nice houses. I knew they were nice over there, but I forgot they were that nice. It also shows why schools are so important. People may love those houses, but they also have to want to send their kids to Dayton schools.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:18 PM

430 posts, read 593,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post

1322 Neva Dr, Dayton, OH 45414 is For Sale - Zillow (mid-century mod)
2980 Ensley Ave, Dayton, OH 45414 is For Sale - Zillow (cape cod)
3220 Deweese Pkwy, Dayton, OH 45414 is For Sale - Zillow (Nice place right on the park)
1375 E Siebenthaler Ave, Dayton, OH 45414 is For Sale - Zillow (my dream house haha if I had another $100k to throw at it in renovations on top of the $250k asking price...)
I may have to challenge you for 1375 e Siebenthaler, my friend.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:48 AM

908 posts, read 1,417,872 times
I totally forgot about Summit Academy. I think that the only residency requirement is living in Montgomery County, however they did/maybe still have another one in Xenia for Greene County people.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:27 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,082,854 times
OP, all I have to say is that leg work will be needed, because the number of options and combinations is really pretty vast here. As far as where, I would stay in the suburbs only for resale reasons. If you are military that moves every 3-5 years, it takes much longer to sell a home in most parts of Dayton then in the suburbs. Another poster said it is school related and he is absolutely right.

I think Kettering is probably your best option and value overall! Plenty of housing stock in good ranges plus great schools and services overall. Only downside is if you want something newer (there is little new build available in Kettering). If that is the case, maybe call around and check out Beavercreek or Miamisburg. Centerville has new build, but not sure of their IEP programs and attitudes. If possible, ask base personnel their thoughts and experiences. That has to count for something.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:12 AM

1,870 posts, read 1,900,685 times
I went to Oakwood, but my 1977 graduation date makes my information rather stale.

I went to Miami Valley School for 7th and 8th grades. I had a math teacher take an interest in me and brought my math skills up to Oakwood's 10th grade level when I was an 8th-grader. When I went back to Oakwood's school system, they put me back in the 9th grade where I languished in boredom. I still think I graduated with a good education, since I can really see the poor math and English that people in the professional world live with every day.

I think that it doesn't matter how good the school is, if the parents aren't interested, the kid is likely to be the same. You sound interested MilMom6.

I think the thing I value most about growing up in Oakwood ( "under the Dome" ) is the memory of being able to wander around the neighborhood and go to Houk Stream ( and places like that ), go Trick-or-Treating, deliver newspapers ( The Journal Herald - at 5 am ) without a helicopter mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton