Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 07:41 AM

2 posts, read 3,975 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I will be moving with my wife and 6 year old to work at WSU sometime in August. Living in the suburbs of Chicago we enjoyed having a single family home with a nice backyard and good elementary schools. I am looking to rent a single family home with a decent size backyard and/or playgrounds nearby with some park-district activity. I would like to signup my 6 year old for swimming, Tee-ball and some other sport, so looking for neighborhoods with public facilities.

Reading through the Dayton forum and speaking with some locals, it seems Oakwood, Beavercreek, Fairborn would be the areas to look for. I have been told Oakwood is the best in terms of what I am looking for. Is that true? Can you guys suggest other areas.

Also, I tried searching craigslist but did not find many home for rent in and around Oakwood. Can you please suggest where can I find homes for rent. Are there local listing? I would like to keep my commute to about 20-25 mins.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 10:48 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,850,853 times
Hi greifs--

You won't find a whole lot in terms of rentals near Oakwood, unless you possibly look closer to UD.

As far as Fairborn goes, the property taxes are comparatively lower (thus lowering rent rates), but the schools aren't so hot.

Both Oakwood and Beavercreek schools have been rated excellent for ten-plus years, but you'll have far better luck finding a rental in Beavercreek - plus the added benefit of highway access, proximity to two major shopping centers (The Greene and the Fairfield Commons mall), proximity to WSU, and most of all, no city tax (you'd pay 2.5% in Oakwood).

Old 06-04-2013, 07:01 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,162,738 times
From a quick read of www.zillow.com, only a couple listings come up for Oakwood. None would be good for a young family. Beavercreek will have more options, but might get pricier. Also it's a bigger suburb, around 45k citizens.

Some other good options for you might be Kettering, Forest Ridge/Pheasant Ridge, Huber Heights, Vandalia, Yellow Springs, Bellbrook, Centerville and Tipp City. All have houses for rent in communities near parks. All have schools on par or better than Fairborn. IF you are willing to do private or charter schools, a few areas in Dayton proper might be good too.

We could help you out a lot more if we knew better what you like in a community. Here's a good short list to answer:

-Where you are working? - WSU
-How much you are willing to spend on housing? - ?
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate - 20-25 min
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? - ?
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
- BIG DISTINGUISHING FACTOR
-Community amenities important to you? - Park, sports for kids, swimming.
-Pie or cake?

Currently, it looks like you would like a community called Parktowne a lot. It's in the Bethel School District (Huber Heights city limits), the community is built around a playground, it will be integrated into the Carriage Trails development (SW Ohio's fastest-growing subdivision), a giant aquatic center was just built nearby, and a major shopping area is about 2 min south by I-70.

Here's a link to one of about 5-6 rentals there:
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/98...12520360_zpid/

And community links:
Carriage Trails | Neighborhoods and Nature | Dayton, OH
Home
Parktowne Owners' Association
The City of Huber Heights - Home
Bethel Local School District

And a link to the State of Ohio district report cards:
ODE: iLRC Districts Home

Last edited by SWOH; 06-04-2013 at 07:14 PM..

Old 06-10-2013, 07:04 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,667 times
If you want good schools, and a decent commute to WSU, focus on the suburbs around 675. The ones with strong youth programs are Centerville, Bellbrook, and Beavercreek; also some parts of Kettering. Oakwood is nice but there are not many rentals in that area.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:49 PM

3 posts, read 19,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greifs View Post
Hi All,
I will be moving with my wife and 6 year old to work at WSU sometime in August. Living in the suburbs of Chicago we enjoyed having a single family home with a nice backyard and good elementary schools. I am looking to rent a single family home with a decent size backyard and/or playgrounds nearby with some park-district activity. I would like to signup my 6 year old for swimming, Tee-ball and some other sport, so looking for neighborhoods with public facilities.

Reading through the Dayton forum and speaking with some locals, it seems Oakwood, Beavercreek, Fairborn would be the areas to look for. I have been told Oakwood is the best in terms of what I am looking for. Is that true? Can you guys suggest other areas.

Also, I tried searching craigslist but did not find many home for rent in and around Oakwood. Can you please suggest where can I find homes for rent. Are there local listing? I would like to keep my commute to about 20-25 mins.

Thanks!
Try this link:
Find Real Estate, Homes for Sale & Houses for Rent - realtor.com®

It has a a rental search. Parts of (East section) Kettering & Centerville are nice.
Good luck

Old 06-20-2013, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,975 times
Thank you guys! that is some very useful information and tips. @OHKID, I am looking to find something in $1000 to $1200 range. Public schools, preferably with some sort of after-school program since we both will be busy till evening. Family friendly surrounding with parks and kids activity. This week I was in columbus and drove to Dayton to checkout different neighborhoods. I liked Oakwood and I am hearing some good reviews. I was lost in yellow springs and did not know where to look. I will try other areas this week. OHKID, thank you for those web-links, please send more if you can.
Thx

Old 06-20-2013, 07:30 PM

Glad I could help! Hopefully this will help too:

You seem to like Oakwood, so I'm guessing a lot of that has to do with the more traditional, mature, classically wealthy style of the city, much akin to many of Chicago's suburbs. Honestly, Oakwood/Kettering is the only place in the Dayton metro like that right now, unfortunately. Yellow Springs is not similar.

The same COULD exist in Dayton city limits in the Dayton View/Five Oaks/Grafton Hill/University Row block (maybe even Deweese Park/Riverdale too), but there's a lot of social ills, lack of economic activity, and stupidity among the current residents of those areas (minus the few progress-minded ones like Mary McCarthy, Jim Bucher, Amamdathegreat who posts on here, and others) which is preventing this from ever happening. But I digress....

For the top of your budget in Oakwood, you can get this house. Nice place, but its tiny! (1100 sq. ft). Beautifully updated though, and unfortunately not quite as walkable as the second option:
411 Hadley Ave, Dayton, OH 45419 - Zillow
http://www.walkscore.com/score/loc/l...ng=-84.163607/

But a lot of that price goes into the fact that you are in Oakwood. The city has great services, the schools are among the Top 10 in the state, there are excellent parks and recreational activities, it is quiet, and it's very safe. Additionally, you're within a stone's throw of this great park: https://plus.google.com/111800868817...ut?gl=us&hl=en

Still, if that's an area you like a lot, you would probably like West Kettering just as well (as in parts of Kettering west of Wilmington - it's not a separate city haha). Half a mile south of the listing above is a place you might like better... since it's about 500 sq.ft bigger! Also there is a lot more in the immediate neighborhood.

217 Rockhill Ave., Kettering, OH 45429 - Zillow
http://www.walkscore.com/score/217-r...ayton-oh-45429

The main downsides I see with this one are the fact that the kitchen needs an update and it the garage has been converted into a recording studio (which could make a nice playroom for the kids I guess). Also, it's in Kettering, not Oakwood.

It's in a nice neighborhood bordering Fairmont High School and the premier Oakwood shopping area centered around Far Hills and Dorothy Ln. This includes Dorothy Lane Market - our local high-end supermarket chain. Also, it's still possible to walk to Orchardly Park, and the Fraze Pavillion is an added bonus (if you're a Sherly Crow fan, she performs there almost every year - she says it's her favorite place to perform).

Kettering, to put it in Chicago terms, would be similar to mixing Lake Forest with Skokie - assuming Dayton housing price deflation, of course! Kettering Schools, for being a very diverse district, are extremely good. They consistently rank among the top in the area, and I would argue are on par with Beavercreek or Centerville. Other posters may have better info on Kettering schools though. Here is a link to their report card:
http://archive.education.ohio.gov/re...ist/044180.pdf

Good luck with the decision!

Old 06-23-2013, 07:50 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,086,278 times
Agreed with Kettering schools being perfectly acceptable for great educational standards.

OHKID is giving tons of great info.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:34 AM

Thank you Wrightflyer!

Old 06-29-2013, 03:17 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,759 times
When I taught at WSU, we lived in Tipp City. It wasn't a bad commute at all. It was 30 minutes door to door but the drive wasn't bad at all. Tip: Do not speed on I-70 or Northwoods Boulevard in Vandalia. They will get you every time! 5-7 mph over the limit is okay on I-70, but don't try to save time when you're in a hurry by speeding on that highway. Loved Tipp City and the schools were great, so don't rule it out because it's further. Traffic was almost never bad.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton