Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 01:27 PM

10 posts, read 25,215 times

Advertisements

I ride my bike through Downtown Dallas every single day and I'm telling you, the city is filled with growth/development/revitalization. My buddy is one of the last of 6 urban bike messengers here in the city, and he'll agree 100%.

I mean, Dallas now has the largest arts district in the country with the inception of one arts plaza and the new symphony hall and the new park over 35e. I think we'd all like to see something happen in the Trinity River Basin, but that's another discussion in itself. I see new apartments/condos/homes going up despite a huge stagnation in real estate on the national level, as well as the arrival of new businesses.

I have not noticed any kind of dent in Dallas with the recession aside from everyone saying, "well, since this damned recession, xxxxxxxxx (insert anything here).

This "too much fun to be had up north" statement from the OP is ridiculous. The ballpark, the new cowboys stadium, six flags, hurricane harbor are are all west in Arlington, a 25 minute drive. I will agree that sprawl is Dallas' biggest downfall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 06:35 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterotica View Post

This "too much fun to be had up north" statement from the OP is ridiculous. The ballpark, the new cowboys stadium, six flags, hurricane harbor are are all west in Arlington, a 25 minute drive. I will agree that sprawl is Dallas' biggest downfall.
I didn't say that, the OP is more insterested in hearing about fun in DT Dallas. I'm surprised with Arlington having the sports stadiums and theme parks, that there are not better DART/Transit connections to the city.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:32 AM

229 posts, read 606,842 times
i walked through main street a couple of nights ago, and there were actually PEOPLE walking around! even though it'd probably look empty to outsiders accustomed to bustling downtown areas, it was a vast improvement from what i would have seen 2 years ago.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:30 PM

326 posts, read 962,030 times
If you want to see the rebirth of downtown, visit the corner of Main/St Paul. Once a dark abandoned corner with liquor stores and abandoned parking garages, it's now hopping with a patio restaurant (soon to be 2 more), new luxury residences and the new park. Even though it's meant to be a downtown "neighborhood park", Main Street Garden is attracting picnicking families and dog owners from across the region. New retail and parking strategies that develop from the Downtown Dallas 360 should help build on what has been started downtown. Streetcars will definitely help to connect the many revitalizing districts. In the four years that I have lived downtown, it's looking better than ever.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:21 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,448,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwcre8tive View Post
If you want to see the rebirth of downtown, visit the corner of Main/St Paul. Once a dark abandoned corner with liquor stores and abandoned parking garages, it's now hopping with a patio restaurant (soon to be 2 more), new luxury residences and the new park. Even though it's meant to be a downtown "neighborhood park", Main Street Garden is attracting picnicking families and dog owners from across the region. New retail and parking strategies that develop from the Downtown Dallas 360 should help build on what has been started downtown. Streetcars will definitely help to connect the many revitalizing districts. In the four years that I have lived downtown, it's looking better than ever.
I second this...It really feels different down there too....Its becoming more and more inviting and intresting.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:47 PM

229 posts, read 606,842 times
yes, cre8tive. i was hanging out at my friends place in the mercantile, and when i left, the weather was so beautiful i just went to the park and sat down for an hour. i saw many people come and leave with their dogs, and when i strolled down main street, there were people in the bars, restaurants, and on the street. doesn't sound like a big deal, but if you walked the same strip in 07, it was dead-zone.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:47 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,516,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwcre8tive View Post
Dallas Chop House would be the first restaurant. I heard there will also be one at the park. Where is the other restaurant going to be?

Old 05-13-2010, 10:37 AM

326 posts, read 962,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
Dallas Chop House would be the first restaurant. I heard there will also be one at the park. Where is the other restaurant going to be?
A Tex-Mex restaurant is going in at the base of the Element in the corner patio space (same group behind Dallas Chop House and Fish Market). YogenFruz/Mercantile Coffeehouse is also under construction in the Element building (LINK). Lily Pad in Main Street Garden should be open in time for the big Homegrown Music and Arts Festival on May 22nd. A few things might be in the works for the restaurant/retail space across the street at 1900 Elm.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:52 AM

428 posts, read 1,396,128 times
Its on the rise. Definitely compared to 10 years ago when you could by properties in Uptown for virtually nothing.

However, Dallas leaders do not understand that we need densification. Otherwise, this massive downtown still looks empty. Their idea of densification is multi-use with a huge parking lot. We need real mass densification to bring this city to life. Also, we need for the Trinity Project to be completed and marketed as a viable tourist attraction. It can be done.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:00 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,448,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portorro View Post
Its on the rise. Definitely compared to 10 years ago when you could by properties in Uptown for virtually nothing.

However, Dallas leaders do not understand that we need densification. Otherwise, this massive downtown still looks empty. Their idea of densification is multi-use with a huge parking lot. We need real mass densification to bring this city to life. Also, we need for the Trinity Project to be completed and marketed as a viable tourist attraction. It can be done.
I agree 1,000% with this....I believe we will get it done....this is DALLAS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas