Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:57 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,001,789 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to the Dallas area soon and are looking for a smaller town close to the McKinney area,something like Van Alstyne,Anna,Melissa,on around east to Blue Ridge,Princeton,and Farmersville.Any good towns, or especially bad areas to avoid?When I mentioned Princeton to a guy that used to live around Dallas he said Princeton had a lot of drug addicts.We don't have school age kids,so schools aren't an issue.I just don't want to end up in a bad area.Seems like I remember reading some bad things about a town in the general vicinity called Ladonia,and this is what I am trying to avoid.I also don't need the new developments,much prefering real old style neighborhoods.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 10:08 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
It seems like a lot of small towns and rural areas have drug problems, esp meth issues. I don't know if you are going to be able to find a small town that doesn't have these types of problems. The schools aren't that great, not that many kids are college bound, there aren't a lot of great jobs, people are bored, there's a lot of poverty in small towns. We have a 2nd house in a small town and this is what I see. Plus in my last job we dealt with people in small towns and this was true in other small towns besides the one our 2nd house is in.

Maybe others have different experiences.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:58 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Avoid VERY rural areas w/ no zoning that allow old trailers to be brought in. If when your out looking around and you see old dilapidated trailers and houses that look like they are somewhat boarded up but somebody lives there then you don't want close by. You might look over around Parker, Nevada (Ne-vaaa-duh and DO NOT SPEED THRU THERE), Lucas and on towards Rockwall in some of the areas that way. It is really growing out there but is possible to find some very nice areas. Gosh, I haven't heard Ladonia mentioned in a long time. Farmersville and Anna are nice too.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:58 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,653,319 times
I know a family from LaDonia and they love it there. I also agree with Mom and would look at deed restrictions in neighborhoods and zoning around.
I personally have not gone the back roads around Van Alstyne but I was told they have custom homes on big acre lots. I have heard from people who live in Mckinney ( I live in Mckinney as well) that Van Alstyne would be the better area living north of town.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:44 PM

4 posts, read 9,694 times
I'm from VA. Anywhere you go, especially anywhere in and around Grayson County, there is going to be a big drug problem. It's not called the Meth Capitol of Texas around there for nothing. Also, the urban sprawl is rapidly taking over everywhere south of VA (which is already overrun with those new housing developments). Honestly, I'm not sure what would make this area attractive to anyone except as a bedroom community to someone who is looking to get out of a big city, yet still willing to drive several miles to work or find something to do.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:49 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarb View Post
I'm from VA. Anywhere you go, especially anywhere in and around Grayson County, there is going to be a big drug problem. It's not called the Meth Capitol of Texas around there for nothing. Also, the urban sprawl is rapidly taking over everywhere south of VA (which is already overrun with those new housing developments). Honestly, I'm not sure what would make this area attractive to anyone except as a bedroom community to someone who is looking to get out of a big city, yet still willing to drive several miles to work or find something to do.
DANG! For a sec there I thought you were referring to Virginia (VA) and that the norhtern burbs of Dallas had done made their way all the way up to there. LOL!!! I mean I know there are people that commute to Dallas from the Oklahoma border but from Virginia. Hey, Texas is so great it has taken over Oklahoma, Arkansas, MO and all the way to Virginia. I think I need to go to bed...... but I do see now that you meant Van Alstyne.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:35 AM

1,883 posts, read 3,001,789 times
Quote:
Honestly, I'm not sure what would make this area attractive to anyone except as a bedroom community to someone who is looking to get out of a big city, yet still willing to drive several miles to work or find something to do.

That's pretty much it.I am hoping to find 3-4 acres and an older house to fix up within commuting distance of McKinney/Frisco.Schools don't matter,all the kids are grown.There is probably no way to avoid the odd meth house,we have them around here,I just don't want to end up where the majority of the area is drug dealers/manufacturers.Is the area around Farmersville better in this regard?

Denton is the other choice if we live in a resi neighborhood.I found some nice 'hoods south of UNT.But I hope to work in the Plano/Frisco/McKinney area,so that is a little bit of a commute.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:45 AM

71 posts, read 343,820 times
Look in Melissa. They have a great city infrastructure planned with zoning.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:48 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,235,972 times
Melissa is doing a good job keeping up with growth. Anna is not ...its growing too fast and taking the town leaders kicking and screaming. A lot of homes, there, though, that are reasonably-priced.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:27 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,653,319 times
They are building a Brookshires there in Anna. It will give the folks in Van Alstyne/Anna a better option than having to go all the way to Mckinney for groceries. Everyone I know that lives that way are pretty stoked to know it is coming. One told me that way if they run out of milk at home, they don't have to pay 5 dollars for it at the convience store there in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas