Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:14 PM

55 posts, read 156,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
I believe most new Gov't employees get a 403B option, which is similar to a 401K, but is designed for non-profits. With the exception of the military, I don't think the straight retirement plan exist anymore in the Gov't for new people, just tenured ones. Also, when you weigh the cost of lost wages, you can do far better in the long run investing your own money and making more for doing similar work.

Also, a place like Raytheon provides outstanding benefits. I work in a large Fortune 100 company and I'd put my benefits up against Gov't bennies any day of the week.

What about this idea that there is more stability in working directly for the government? Is that fiction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 08:15 PM

11,880 posts, read 26,959,055 times
Former federal employee here...
Uncle Sam has a Thrift Savings plan with a 100% match (not sure how much...at least 5%). And yes, ALL non-temporary federal employees get the retirement pension. But you have to stay there 20 years to make it worthwhile. They offer lots of medical plans to choose from. I was on the BC/BS HMO and I had no deductible and very reasonable copays. The dental insurance, however, was pretty much nonexistent. I know that has changed recently, but I don't know the specifics. The biggest benefit for me was the vacation and sick time: 1 day per month, available immediately. When I left, I cashed out weeks of vacation! The agency I worked for also had a casual dress code and one of the best flextime policies I'd ever seen!

Old 06-12-2007, 08:18 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,947,960 times
Raytheon has several locations in the area: McKinney, Garland, Sherman... There is also TI but they usually go for the young college graduates and then force retire them in a couple of years. All of us locals know it so you don't see many Dallas natives going to work at TI so they heavily recruit college campuses. You might also have him check General Dynamics in Garland on Glenbrook. There are other companies around so I'll have to pick my brain to think of them and where they are.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:20 PM

55 posts, read 156,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
You might also have him check General Dynamics in Garland on Glenbrook. There are other companies around so I'll have to pick my brain to think of them and where they are.
Thanks for the advice!

Old 06-12-2007, 09:36 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,249,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Raytheon has several locations in the area: McKinney, Garland, Sherman... There is also TI but they usually go for the young college graduates and then force retire them in a couple of years. All of us locals know it so you don't see many Dallas natives going to work at TI so they heavily recruit college campuses. You might also have him check General Dynamics in Garland on Glenbrook. There are other companies around so I'll have to pick my brain to think of them and where they are.
MomofTwo we must run in similar circles 'cause I was thinking the same thing. My dad started at T.I. in '78 or '79 right out of college. Within a couple years he got a much better offer from E-Systems. I at one time thought about applying at T.I. until he warned about how they like to lay off people all the time. For now I have to slave it out in retail, until I finish college.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:30 PM

37,313 posts, read 60,009,828 times
one thing to consider--if the war in Iraq is ever over--Rayethon may have downsizing since good percent of its work is DOD related...
same w/Lockheed in FTW and General Dynamics...
war is a blessing and a curse like most aspects of life in real world...

Old 06-12-2007, 10:44 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,498,192 times
What about EDS in Plano?

Old 08-19-2007, 04:45 PM

12 posts, read 56,738 times
Just thought I'd piggyback on this thread. Does anyone know of any good headhunters in the North Dallas (Collin County) area? For tech support, engineering, etc. That sort of thing. We are in Austin looking to make the move - we are ready!

We have an ex-military recruiter looking around for my husband (they found him his last job in the Bay Area), but they are national and don't specialize in the Dallas area so we aren't hearing about many opportunities. Looking online for jobs company by company is slow.

PM or reply here - I'd really appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas