Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 06:38 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,430,029 times

Advertisements

That looks nice. Have the areas around the park already been priced for the park, or are we still in the middle of the rebuilding effort.

The residential portion of this area is mainly condo/hi-rise correct ?

Is there a DART within walking distance to here ? How does the commercial layout look ? Lots of vacancies or have commercial ventures already started to buy up the property in the vicinity ?

Can someone give me an address of an area that they feel is attractive around the park so I can check it out on Ebby.

I've seen these types of facilities go into other urban areas and 9 times out of 10, they change the make-up of the entire area for many years to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 09:05 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,594,807 times
...and they say we're in a recession... you'd never know it my looking at the entire DFW area! Finally, the moderated price appreciation in our area along with all the other benefits (no state income tax, low construction costs, etc) are driving the DFW economy. I just hope we don't appreciate too quickly, it'd be nice to see this level of activity for an extended period of time. In fact, if the housing market across the US regained it's footing, I think we'd see an acceleration of activities, as more people would be able to pull their equity out of their homes on the coast and move here. Sure home the country's housing issues clear themselves up by the end of the year.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:14 AM

Newbie,

I agree with you 150%. I still think that we're sitting on a gold mine here because Dallas has now become 'discovered' and the Myths about the region being debunked. Then articles continue to come about about 'The Hottest RE Markets in the US' and there we are...the perception is that while TX is not going to make you an overnight millionare, it has maintained slow steady growth in certain areas.

Throw in downtown rebuilding, media exposure of the award winning schools here, posh suburbs where anyone from a school teacher to a CEO can afford to live, winning super bowl bids and axing crazy amendments like the Wright Ammendment to make air travel more inexpensive.....the heartland of america has moved back to center stage while the coasts implode.

Go to other City-Data boards here....check out the posts....there are no where near the number of relocatees that Dallas has...

I also visit the san Diego board and it has a completely different feeling.....young people looking to relocate and rent to enjoy weather and chase skirt (short term thinking) and middle aged types throwing in the towel and moving to more affordable areas, like TX.

We also already know that the new construction industry is pulling back across the US, which means less building and more demand for pre-existing homes. I personally think that one of the reasons for a recet slow down here is due to the fact that so many people are trying to sell their home somewhere else to get out here - and can't.

For this period of time, I think our state remains one of the shining stars (PacNW has some areas doing well also) in what has become a tough RE downturn.

Can you imagine one day walking into Borders and seeing a book in the Personal Finance section on 'Getting Rich with TX Real Estate' :-)

Last edited by socketz; 05-31-2007 at 11:23 AM..

Old 05-31-2007, 12:41 PM

443 posts, read 1,566,678 times
Theres a dart rail stop at Bryan and St. Paul. Would only have to walk a couple of blocks to get to it from there. Don't forget about the new deck park they're building over woodall rogers expy. Will put a sea of green between the arts district and the coming museum of natural history as well as the new victory development. We could always use more green areas in Dallas, glad to see it happening!

Last edited by DFWMike; 05-31-2007 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: thought of something else

Old 05-31-2007, 01:11 PM

What does a deck park look like ?

Old 05-31-2007, 01:58 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,153,975 times
Here is some more info on the Woodall Rodgers Park:

Dallasblog.com, the Dallas, Texas news blog and Dallas, Texas information source for the DFW Metroplex. - DALLAS BLOG - DECK PARK PROGRESS CONTINUES (broken link)

Old 05-31-2007, 07:53 PM

So a deck park essentially is a larger than normal overpass that is a park ? I can't picture what this looks like. Is there one in another city that I can google. It sounds interesting.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:52 PM

108 posts, read 570,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
So a deck park essentially is a larger than normal overpass that is a park ? I can't picture what this looks like. Is there one in another city that I can google. It sounds interesting.
Try to picture the freeway in question. Woodall Rodgers Fwy dips BELOW grade level for several blocks at that point. This project will simply cover that section of the roadway and then plant trees, grass, and put in walkways, and fountains.
Presto, the highway that divides Uptown and Downtown Dallas will seem to disappear.

Here is the .pdf that shows the Woodal Rodgers Deck Park project.

http://www.dallascityhall.com/commit...Deck_Plaza.pdf

Old 05-31-2007, 08:57 PM

Slide 8 shows the side view right ? What's there now ? It looks like an overpass.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:00 AM

108 posts, read 570,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Slide 8 shows the side view right ? What's there now ? It looks like an overpass.
I still think you're missing it. Or I'm just not explaining it clearly enough.
The highway is basically an uncovered tunnel between Pearl and Akard streets.
They are simply installing a deck over it to hold the park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas