Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 06:30 PM

257 posts, read 946,640 times

Advertisements

Ok school researching experts,

I have narrowed it down to 7 zip codes that I am interested in when househunting, which most are in West Plano, one in Richardson, and one in North Dallas.

I looked at the TAK Scores and Ratings for each school - some were academically acceptable, some were recognized, and a few were Exemplary.

Ok, so now what? Is there another way to go about this? A better way? ANd please don't say, "go and visit each school in person". That just isn't in the cards given my circumstances. What are other ways ONLINE to research?

One example of my confusion. I thought I had read that plano west high school has the best reputation for up north. But it was rated Academically Acceptable, while Plano Senior High School was Recognized. Isn't recognized better?

Any suggestion on how to get a better picture on the school?

THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 07:00 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,900,896 times
If your going to base a home purchase on TAKS scores you will be horribly mislead.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:16 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,476,826 times
It's very hard for the high schools to get the top ratings. I think there are only 2 exemplary high schools in the area - Highland Park (entire district is exemplary) and Carroll Senior High.

I don't think looking at it by zip code is going to help you much. The zip code I am in includes 2 different school districts and many kids attend a school in another zip code.

Do you just want to post the names of the schools? Have you looked at great schools dot com?

Old 05-23-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
It's very hard for the high schools to get the top ratings. I think there are only 2 exemplary high schools in the area - Highland Park (entire district is exemplary) and Carroll Senior High.

I don't think looking at it by zip code is going to help you much. The zip code I am in includes 2 different school districts and many kids attend a school in another zip code.

Do you just want to post the names of the schools? Have you looked at great schools dot com?
Check the OP's other posts. I don't think any of us will have the answer she wants to hear. She wants a clearcut and dry that there is some magic school district in the Dallas metroplex that reigns supreme. Many of us have answered her with what is going on in just about all of the districts and it was not what she wanted to hear.

Your right about secondary schools on getting exemplary. Even some really great schools can get an unacceptable rating but it does not mean the school is bad at all. The whole TAKS rating system is VERY flawed to say the least. If she wants the BEST school then it would be rather obvious now since the news just came out this week that the #1 high school in the nation is right here in the Dallas ISD along w/ the #2.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:57 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,243,537 times
Back when I was in high school there was a huge drug problem in Plano, a lot of kids OD'd on Heroin. It was a pretty big deal, made the national news and everything. I do believe they no longer have such a pervasive problem with Herion, but in many areas, not Just Plano student athletes have been using steriods. A students success depends more on their own initative, and effort then on the school itself. Like Momof2 said DISD has the top public H.S. in the nation. Now I maybe wrong, but I believe you don;t have to live in Dallas to have a student attend there. Garland H.S. offers the I.B program which make A.P. look like child play. G.H.S. also had they top academic decathelon team for many years. I attended GHS under partial IB and they have some great teachers.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:01 PM

Oh, okay. Well, I guess it isn't as cut and dry in Dallas. Also this top 10 percent rule has further muddied the picture. (If your child is in top 10% of their graduating class they have anutomatic entrance into UT-Austin and A&M and that's about the only way to get into those schools.) Many folks are realizing they can't get their kids into the top 10% if their entire class are a bunch of overachievers with plenty of money for supplemental enrichment. So, they started to put their kids into lower performing more diverse schools and - surprise - they realized they are good schools too and their kids benefit from being in a more diverse environment. Also, the parents realized they did not want their kids in these super materialistic schools where parents pay $1,000 for evey A their kids make on their report cards.

Also the Dallas Observer did an interesting article about how colleges are now prefering kids from urban schools (no matte their race or heritage) because they have about as many Highland Park types as they need.

Superficially, the "best" districts are Highland Park and Carroll, although they are not best for every child. After that you have to look at individual schools and even individual programs in individual schools.

For example I was talking to a mom who had 2 daughters go through Plano West. I asked her if she would take her son out of private school and send him to Plano West and she said no way. It wasn't the right school for the son. Plano West she said is great for AP kids and special ed kids and the middle average kids fall through the cracks.

Also, those 2 DISD schools that were picked as #1 and #2 in Newsweek based on how many AP exams were taken are selective schools. It's still an honor, but it's not like you can say I want to buy this house because it feeds into the TAG magnet school. If you skim off the top of any district and stick them in their own school with the most gifted teachers you are going to see some amazing work being produced.

My son is in private school. Our neighborhood exemplary school was a nightmare. With private you can pick the house you want and then you can pick the exact right school for any individual child. AND there is no TAKS. And if you look at my son's school directory of students about half come from Highland Park. So, just how good is Highland Park for every child?

So, yeah, it's not cut and dry in Dallas.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:06 PM

What?!?!? We parents are supposed to pay our kids $1000 for every A they get? Don't let my kids know that. Mine don't even get an allowance. I probably sound like we are on welfare when I'm shopping w/ them.

You are right about the whole 10% rule, it is really screwing a lot of people/kids. Good kids too. One reason why I'm not into these huge mega high schools in some areas. As you said, they are good for the super high over-acheivers and students that need more developmental work but your average student gets lost in the crowd.

Yes, the colleges and universities want kids w/ a more diverse background. My friend that teaches at the TAG in Dallas said those kids get into all of the Ivy League schools. They are accepted at any school they want to attend. You do not have to live in the Dallas ISD to get into the TAG in Dallas or their other magnets like Booker T. Washington. You have to apply and it is very hard but it is a very elite accomplishment. I think for kids on that level it does give them the challenge they need and strive for all the while keeping it fun for them. I have one of these kids and it is a totally different mindset for many of them in almost all areas of their life.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:24 PM

Another interesting website to research schools on is the Just 4 Kids website. They compare schools with the same demographics. So the upper middle class white schools are compared with the other upper middle white schools and you can get an idea of which ones are really better based on different things. I like it because it highlights the white upper middle class schools that are merely coasting - if it's low on the list.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:49 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,893,740 times
here's the link to the news week article
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12532678/site/newsweek/ (broken link)

I gathered from the article it was also rating schools on how well the graduating class was prepared for college. State tests such as TSK don't always collate to doing well in college.

Dallas ISD did very well as did the Ft worth ISD

North Hills HS in Irving was #13
Highland Park was #14

Colleyville Heritage was the highest rated North Dallas School #95
Grapevine at#141
Alothough some may seethese as more FT worth suburbs

Plano west #177
McKinney #185
McKinney North at #233
Plano came in at #348
Garland #350
Carroll #422
Coppel #423
Plano east #433
Flower mound #574
The colony #745
Keller #757
Hebron Carrloton #758
Creekview Carrolton # 771
Naamen Forrest Garland #775
Richardson #947
Lake Highlands #989

Overall I think the article speaks well for TX schools in general
Little mercedes down in south TX ranked very high.
Several Austin schools, SanAntonio, and Houston Schools ranked high as well.
Seems like Texas schools are doing a downright good job!

Considering there are over 27,000 public HS in the US.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:19 AM

633 posts, read 2,542,562 times
This has been very informative regarding the schools. Hubby will be TX in June, so I am going to have him check out the Garland area. I have one kid who is Gifted and Talented and I would love for her to be in the IB program.

Btw, what does TAG stand for in Dallas?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas