Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 11:56 PM

59 posts, read 222,586 times

Advertisements

I came out on a visit to the Dallas area this past June. I did not get to stay as long as I would have like to. However, I looked in North Grand Prairie at new homes, Plano and Frisco. I thought at first Grand Prairie could have possibly been my top choice. I looked at the test scores for the different school districts and notice Mc Kinney ISD scored very high. Now Mc Kinney is definately on my list as a contender.

Could someone give me more info on Mc Kinney, Plano and Frisco. I understand Mc Kinney has a nice community called Stone Bridge Ranch. This seems to be the kind of place I am looking for. Since I have not had the pleasure of visiting this place yet, maybe someone could share what you may know.

This is a very big decision for my family and I and I want to make sure that I am making the right decision. Please advise

Cami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2006, 12:59 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,053,216 times
Stay away from Grand Praire or anything over in that area. I also wouldnt recommend Plano. Lots of traffic. Frisco Mckinney are good. Since your coming from CA you most likely will be able to afford anything in the stone briar ranch area.

Old 07-27-2006, 02:07 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Frisco has more traffic than Plano, imho, and McKinney is right behind them.

I would also follow the above posters advice in steering clear of G.P. and that whole area.

I also would not pick out an exact area till I knew where I was going to be working. Since the entire D/FW metroplex area is pretty vast it can make a HUGE difference in time spent on the road or at home. Then you can also try and find something you like in an area you like that may have you going "against the traffic" for rush hour. If you want close proximity to the DART rail line for commuting that would be another factor to weigh in on.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:38 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times
Stonebridge ranch is really nice.

http://www.stonebridgeranch.com/

I'd venture to say it is one of the nicest master planned communities that I've ever seen (and I live in Cali where they are plentiful)

It's my favorite by far because of the trees and rolling hills....I also like that there are tons of little kids there (I have a 3 and a 5 yr/old)

Now here's the cons....
-Taxes are right at 3% out there
-The traffic on the 75 during peak hours is suffocating. Seriously, it reminds me of the 5 here in SoCal when Caltrans closes 2 lanes during rush hour. The 75 needs to be 2x the width it is now.
-Lastly, all the displaced Californians seem to end up there (locals say the Realtors take them there first), so I'm almost afraid of moving in and having to listen to eveyone complain about how they miss CA.

Old 08-17-2006, 04:55 PM

5 posts, read 18,745 times
Talking Don't limit yourself

I agree with all the other posts in that Mckinney is a very nice GROWING area and keep that in mind. Also, keep in mind where your employment might be, there are alot of highways and tons of traffic here. The growth in the Dallas area is going north toward McKinney but will run out of area soon; the growth is also going east toward Rockwall, Royse City, etc.and south into Kaufman County. These towns still offer areas where you can buy small to large tracts of land along with the small community feel (town square, etc.) as well as excellent school districts where classroom sizes are still relatively small. What size home or piece of land would you be interested in? I would love to show you some possiblities on your next visit.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:26 PM

CBASELLS,

I know your just trying to make a living, and being an Account Manager myself, I understand the the business logic behind hanging out in the city forums and helping out new comers that could be quickly turned from suspects into prospects.

However, prospecting here somewhat tarnishes the community effect that's being developed. Hence this is why the moderators typically flag this kind of activity.

I think you know where I'm going with this...

Old 08-18-2006, 07:40 AM

Thank you socketz. Not only that but if you work over in Plano, N. Dallas or the IT corridor your commute from any of those places on the far East side are going to be BRUTAL!!!!!!!!

Old 08-18-2006, 10:32 PM

#7 Today, 06:40 AM
momof2dfw,

Straight up. What are your thoughts on McKinney ? Seriously, it looks nice as you roll through with your windows up and the AC on, but what's the real story.

Who lives there ? Disgruntled transplants ? Do locals live there as well, or is it just too far out for locals to consider ? How long before it feels as stable as West Plano (west of Coit) ? Do the teens there cause trouble because they are bored out of thier mind ? I grew up under these circumstances (folks moved out of DC to the boondocks when I was 13), so I know how destructive teen boredom can be on a community.

My wife loves McKinney and what I want to make sure of is that I do not move into an area with an instable infrastructure. To be honest, when I was there, it was about the only place in DFW I went where people were NOT friendly. I worry that we'll pick up and move to a place full of disgruntle transplants that complain about everything.

Secondly, what do you know about talented and gifted programs in schools withi PISD, MISD and FISD ? Do these programs exist ? My mother in law says no, but I find it hard to believe. I ask because my little girl is somewhat gifted and we want to make sure there are programs available for kids like her.

Also, what about Dance ? I looked online and there appears to be alot of dance schools run by ex-cowboy cheerleaders. Most here are run by ex-Charger cheerleaders. My girl is also talented in this area as well. Recommendations ?

I'll do pretty well out there, so unless the cost is nuts, I would consider the best of breed if you know a few to send my way.

Lastly, when I get out there, you are going to have to let me buy you lunch one day. You've been vey helpful here on the boards.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:56 AM

My sis lives in McKinney. It's okay. It is crowded, or at least to me it is. I just know that when I was up there one day this summer on a weekday, before lunch, it took forever to get down El Dorado Pkwy going West from Central all the way to Stonebridge. I do not know how many lights I went thru.... and it was only 2 lanes each way. My sis has had problems w/ a neighbor. There is more than one family living in the house at various times and lots of vehicles. Vehicles that sit out in front on the street all the time and never move, etc (in front of her house and the other neighbors). She has contacted the Stonebridge HOA and they have told her they have no control over the issue. And to call the McKinney PD of which she has several times. I don't know if McKinney has been able to keep up w/ the growth. I also do not know how they are on bond issues when it comes to city wide improvements and additional schools. I would call the school district and ask about bond programs, recent and upcoming/anticipated. Same for the city. She has taught in 3 schools there and the elementary ones were fine but she had serious issues w/ the middle school.

Who lives there? Not too many natives. LOL!!! Are there still that many of us around? I have been to a few of the shops around there w/ my sis and it was "okay". Downtown McKinney has some nice shops (read $$$. ). I can find some of the exact same things at shops around my house for 1/2 of what they want in McKinney. Growing up McKinney and Frisco were both "hick towns". Not any more. Guess that is what is so funny to me. I remember the "hickishness" of the place and the "air" that is there now are totally different.

As for Gifted & Talented programs in those school districts, they do not have seperate academies for them. I have a child in the G&T program in the Garland ISD. What schools do that do not have a seperate school/campus or classrooms for the kids labeled G&T is a pull-out program. They will sometimes have a teacher that pulls out those kids periodically to do additional work w/ them. Or the teacher does it when they have time. So it is not a full immersion G&T program. I totally understand how it is with a child that is gifted. I do not want her in a regular classroom getting bored and discouraged. She needs to have enough challenges to keep her interested w/o hardly any "downtime". Plus being around kids that are also on the same level has really helped as she has started middle school. Mine would love year round school. You can read up on all of the school districts to see what they offer. The links are below to their websites.
Plano: pisd.edu
Frisco: friscoisd.org
McKinney: mckinneyisd.net
Richardson: risd.org
Garland: garlandisd.net

This is the first year neither of my kids are in a dance class. I don't know what to do w/ myself. There are PLENTY of dance studios around the Dallas area. Like one on every corner. Well, maybe not that many but there will be enough of a selection to choose from. Talk to other parents and find out where they go, how they like it, etc. Same for gymnastics. The whole cheer/drill team thing starts WAY early around here. They even have pepsquad/cheer/drill for the little peewee football games. They can take a normal dance class or get in a competition class. If it is ballet, there are some really good places around here for that. My oldest has performed several years in the Nutcracker that her dance studio puts on. For children, it was AWESOME. Some of the owners/teachers are Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders or Dallas Mavericks Dancers.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:14 AM

216 posts, read 910,020 times
Cami,
We are also from Cali and are considering a move to McKinney! Our friends just moved into Stonebridge ranch and they love it. They said it is the best quality of life you can imagine and absolutley beautiful. They have sent me pictures but say they do not do the place justice and that we have to get a visit out there. My husband is finishing up his Pharmacy program and then we have the option to move anywhere. Finding work is not an issue in his field of work which makes things easier when looking at a big move. They also told me it is very family oriented with the BEST schools in that entire area. They truly seem to think that if we get a visit out there we would not want to live anywhere else. They also checked 10 different States before picking McKinney, so that really says something right. Not to mention the cost of living is just amazing to us. Keep us posted if you end up over there before next summer. That is when we would go if we decide to. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas