Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2009, 09:31 PM

294 posts, read 1,107,488 times

Advertisements

I am considering going to Dallas in perhaps May or June '10. Maybe earlier depending on my circumstances. I currently live in MA. How is the job market in general down there? Probably just to start out I would do something such as waitress/bartend. I am still in college pursuing a degree in Business Management so I don't have any kind of college diploma to give me any leverage. I just want to know how easy/difficult it may be for me to get a job before I make going to Dallas my final decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 10:29 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times
I can tell you that there are jobs here, especially through temp agencies, especially in customer service. They usually are call center jobs that pay around 12 bucks an hour.

I am sure there are restaurants jobs as well, I imagine if you have experience in that area you won't have a problem. People are very friendly and service is very good, so you might have a lot of competition on that front.

I moved here from Miami and found work, so where there is a will there is a way.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:32 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,476 times
It's better to come here with a job, but you'll probably survive if you just arrive with a few months worth of savings. The national unemployment rate is 10%. In Texas it is 8%. Not great, but it could be much worse. I see help wanted signs in storefronts frequently. More importantly, do you intend to continue your education here? Hopefully so. You can probably find a job here and acquire your residency so that you can get the in-state tuition rate once you've been here for a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: