Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2007, 07:52 PM

255 posts, read 556,842 times

Advertisements

I might be getting a job in Sulphur Springs but I don't want to live there. I don't mind commuting. How long would it take to get there from Greenville or Rockwall? Is Greenville worth living in or should I just drive a bit more and move to Rockwall?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 09:34 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,430,029 times
What type of work will you be doing out there ? Maybe you should rent in the area for a month or two until you feel things our, maybe check to see where your co-workers live. I'm not familiar with that area.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:48 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,153,975 times
I don't know - it can be pretty boring around there. Commerce at least is a college town. Paris is also quite a community and still has some charm and a good number of people - I believe 26,000 or more.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:34 PM

255 posts, read 556,842 times
I'm a physician and I'd rather be closer to Dallas if at all possible.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:41 PM

26 posts, read 105,501 times
We live just outsode of SS and LOVE it! It all depends on what you are looking for...nightlife? Not in SS! Family friendly community? Definitely!

Old 07-19-2007, 10:49 AM

443 posts, read 1,566,678 times
Well, you would get a benefit from cheaper housing in Sulphur Springs. SS also has alot of pine trees that you wouldn't get in Rockwall, however it would take you about an hour or a little more to get downtown on the weekends. I don't think you gain much by moving to Greenville, both are very similiar towns, Greenville is just bigger. You'd have to get to Royse City, Fate or Rockwall to get into suburban living.

If I had to guess Greenville, Sulpher Springs is not a far cry from where you're living now in terms of culture. Granted I've only passed through, but SS doesn't seem like a bad little city, just a tad country I would guess, Greenville has some negatives to it I wouldn't want to try and deal with if I had a choice.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 11,588 times
Although I am a native Californian, all my relatives are from Sulphur Springs. We used to go there every year on vacation when I was growing up in the 60's. My memories? Segregation and bigotry. I am sure that has changed, but I'm thinking that is still red neck country.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,108 times
Well I have lived in Sulphur Springs all my life and I love it! It deffinately is not segregated or have bigotry. And it is not a "red neck" town. It is a great town. But if you are looking for a bigger place to live that is not too small and still close to Dallas, I would suggest Rockwall or Garland. Rockwall is more expensive to live than Garland. My mom lives in Garland and she says that the real estate there is amazingly inexpensive.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:15 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,613,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpadrejohn View Post
Although I am a native Californian, all my relatives are from Sulphur Springs. We used to go there every year on vacation when I was growing up in the 60's. My memories? Segregation and bigotry. I am sure that has changed, but I'm thinking that is still red neck country.
It's a different day and age now. Yes, there was lots of bigotry and segregation back then. East Texas was no exception.

Anyone remember the infamous sign that put Greenville in the limelight back then? It was there through the sixties as I recall. It read (something like):

Welcome to Greenville
Home of the blackest land and the whitest people in Texas

Old 02-09-2009, 02:54 PM

6,807 posts, read 14,026,504 times
If your willing to travel I would settle in Rockwall. Large homes with plenty of activities in the city. You would be close enough to Dallas to enjoy all of the amenities it offers. If your looking for a surburban lifestyle thats were I would began my search. Sunnyvale would also be a option but it is a tad farther away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas