Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 07:16 PM

16 posts, read 70,319 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Uptown and I need to find a day care near the State Thomas area. Any referrals would be greatly appreciated. My daughter is 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 07:41 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
There's the daycare at Oak Lawn Methodist Church - Child Development Program - Oak Lawn United Methodist Church - Dallas, TX (http://www.olumc.org/index.cfm?load=page&page=159 - broken link)

First Baptist Dallas - First Baptist Dallas - Children's Ministry (http://www.firstdallas.org/children/dlc/ - broken link)

Bright Horizons Child Care at Plaza of the Americas (new) - Bright Horizons | Bright Horizons at the Plaza of the Americas

First United Methodist downtown - First United Methodist Church - Dallas

Old 11-10-2009, 07:00 AM

Thanks FarNorthDallas. I am trying to steer clear of any religion based organizations. (bad childhood experiences) Would you happen to know of any others?

Old 11-10-2009, 08:08 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
It's going to be tough to find a daycare not located w/in a church in the Uptown area. Are you willing to drive over to East Dallas/Lakewood? If so, look at Junius Heights Montesorri, East Dallas Development Center.

Junius Heights Montessori, Dallas TX preschool from the Savvy Source

East Dallas Development Center, Dallas TX preschool from the Savvy Source

Or over the other way to Park Cities:
Park Cities Day School, Dallas TX preschool from the Savvy Source

Old 11-10-2009, 09:05 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
The Bright Horizons one in Plaza of the Americas is a for-profit daycare. I don't know anything about it though. Looks like it just opened. The better daycares are in the churches. Some like First Baptist are heavy on the religion and others like the Methodist ones are not. Most of their parents are not members of the churches.

Check this website for information about the daycares:
DFPS - Search Texas Child Care

It will tell you about recent inspections and issues and give you names of places to look at. You can search by zip code.

The East Dallas options might be good. I have never heard much positive info about Park Cities Day School, but that was a few years ago, actually 10 year ago. Not recent. Maybe it's fine now.

All of those great big nice fancy for-profit daycares, some chains, some not, are in the newer suburbs. In Dallas the vast majority of child care places are non-profit ones in the churches.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:30 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
My info on PC Day School is the same as FarNorth's - heard not the greatest things about 10-15 yrs ago. Not sure what's going on there now.

And FarNorth is spot-on about the UMCs - they are not heavy on the religion in the daycares or preschools. FarNorth has given you really good advice.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
The Bright Horizons one in Plaza of the Americas is a for-profit daycare. I don't know anything about it though. Looks like it just opened. The better daycares are in the churches. Some like First Baptist are heavy on the religion and others like the Methodist ones are not. Most of their parents are not members of the churches.

Check this website for information about the daycares:
DFPS - Search Texas Child Care

It will tell you about recent inspections and issues and give you names of places to look at. You can search by zip code.

The East Dallas options might be good. I have never heard much positive info about Park Cities Day School, but that was a few years ago, actually 10 year ago. Not recent. Maybe it's fine now.

All of those great big nice fancy for-profit daycares, some chains, some not, are in the newer suburbs. In Dallas the vast majority of child care places are non-profit ones in the churches.
Thank you for the information. I see that searching this way gives many more options. Since we both drive north, I am hoping to find something on the way, possibly close to the highway. So far everything is going to cost me LOTS more than I pay now. Like $200 a month more. Hopefully, I will find something. Thanks for both of your help. I really appreciate it.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:45 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
And FarNorth is spot-on about the UMCs - they are not heavy on the religion in the daycares or preschools. FarNorth has given you really good advice.
I totally agree. I have many Jewish friends that have put their kids in the UMC childcare programs because the academics were strong and the religion part was nil if any at all.

Just because it is IN a church building doesn't mean they are going to be pushing religion. Most of the childcare programs that operate in a church building actually have higher standards when it comes to the children actually having an academic curriculium. Some of the "for profit" day cares are just fluff.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:37 AM

126 posts, read 443,293 times
I agree on the UMC assessment. Both of our daughters attend one and I've always been skeptical about religion-based programs. But the ones affiliated with the Methodist church are very nurturing, academically-oriented environments. There's pretty much no mention of religion until the children are 3 or 4, and at that point it's very minor. Like saying grace before meals and singing a few songs with a volunteer from the church. And I haven't met any parents who are actual members of the church. Honestly, I think the children barely notice their school is housed in a church. I guess it just depends on what you're comfortable with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: