Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 10:21 PM

9 posts, read 32,135 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I searched the previous threads and found some GREAT information about DFW neighborhoods and Garland/Richardson comparisons.

I am considering relocating to the Garland/Richardson area. I am curious about the after-school care options for elementary aged children at the Garland YMCA. Does anyone have experience with them? How was it?

Are there other options for safe and engaging after-school care that you've experienced?

Also, what summer camp options would you recommend?

Does the GISD offer foreign languages as part of their core elementary curriculum?

And finally , can anyone describe the organizational culture of the GISD as an employer?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 08:22 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
I am considering relocating to the Garland/Richardson area. I am curious about the after-school care options for elementary aged children at the Garland YMCA. Does anyone have experience with them? How was it?

I have not used the Y for child care or other programs but know some that have. Mostly for summer camp and sports programs. It is located next door to my dentist. Seems to be doing well and there are plenty of people that use it for their workout facility.

Are there other options for safe and engaging after-school care that you've experienced?

My kids went to Oak Park for preschool and some after school care. Oak Park, Oak Hill, Whistle Stop, Primrose are all good when it comes to after school care as well as many others in the area.

Also, what summer camp options would you recommend?

The GISD offers Camp GISD. It is for 2 weeks and each week is a different course your kids can take. There are a ton of different camps to take advantage of in the summer. All kinds of sport camps thru youth leagues, the schools, the Y, LifeTime Fitness, churches, etc.

Does the GISD offer foreign languages as part of their core elementary curriculum?

They take Spanish starting in kindergarten. It is not intense but it is the basics. They have it I believe twice a week. Some schools do more than others when it comes to Spanish instruction.

And finally , can anyone describe the organizational culture of the GISD as an employer?

I do not work for the district but have plenty of friends that do. They go from working in the offices, teachers, administration, coaches, etc. Everyone seems to like it and I don't know anyone that has left the district other than a move out of the area.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:44 PM

9 posts, read 32,135 times
Default To momof2dfw

Thanks Momof2dfw,

Belated Happy Birthday!!

I've read a lot of your other posts about the DFW area and they have been very helpful.

I am amazed and encouraged by how helpful people have been so far.

I'm planning a "scouting" trip there in early November. I'll also look into the other daycare and camp options you mentioned.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: