Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 08:03 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,271,471 times

Advertisements

If anyone on this forum happens to know a young woman who is teaching English in Russia (the city of Perm to be precise), it sounds like she might be in trouble and could use some help. I used to live in Moscow and still frequent the expat message boards there, and I recently came across a troubling series of posts about her predicament. If you know her and are in a position to help, please send me a DM and I will forward you details (including her posts on the Russian expat site, details of her supposed employer, etc). I think she wants public discussion of her situation limited for fear of safety.

By the way, some of her posts have been signed "Dixie."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 10:27 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,246,661 times
Her best bet would be to contact the US Embassy or the agency that placed her.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:29 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,853,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
If anyone on this forum happens to know a young woman who is teaching English in Russia (the city of Perm to be precise), it sounds like she might be in trouble and could use some help. I used to live in Moscow and still frequent the expat message boards there, and I recently came across a troubling series of posts about her predicament. If you know her and are in a position to help, please send me a DM and I will forward you details (including her posts on the Russian expat site, details of her supposed employer, etc). I think she wants public discussion of her situation limited for fear of safety.

By the way, some of her posts have been signed "Dixie."
You should contact a local police department and I am pretty sure they will contact the proper agencies.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:21 AM

I know people in Russia who are already following up on this, and I think the girl in question is probably doing so as well.

The issue here is one of a teaching job gone bad (i.e, she's not getting paid nearly what she was promised, having her movements and internet communication monitored in excessive ways / suspiciously by her employer, being accused by the school director of criminal activity (presumably to instill fear and make her more compliant).

It sounds like a classic case of semi-indentured servitude, one in which the longer she stays, the more dependent she will become. At any rate, I'm hoping the fact that she hasn't posted in a few days means she's taking care of the situation, which it sounded like she still had the ability to do. Her Russian is limited or nonexistent, so that obviously makes things more difficult for her.

The reason I posted here is that she might need a little money to help her get out of this situation and if anyone knows her, you might be able to contact her by email.

Last edited by StoneOne; 10-16-2009 at 05:29 AM..

Old 10-16-2009, 09:57 AM

175 posts, read 483,531 times
This may be a longshot. Akin Gump Strauss Hauer and Feld is an international law firm in Dallas. They have offices all over the world. They actually have an office in Moscow. Perhaps they might be able to help her in some way.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:14 PM

583 posts, read 2,636,134 times
Sounds like a scam to me. Young girl, Russia, scare tactics, would pull on most heart strings...and then the ask for $$$$.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:37 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,519,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scyogi View Post
Sounds like a scam to me. Young girl, Russia, scare tactics, would pull on most heart strings...and then the ask for $$$$.
I agree.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:46 PM

428 posts, read 1,397,958 times
Stoneone I have half a million dollars I am not using. Can you tell me an address I will send it to her right away. Or maybe I can send it to you, and you can forward to her. No rush in paying me back. I am a self made billionaire, so money is not an issue.

I just sent last week 250K to a single lady from Kenya. She was stuck in London and needed a roommate. Its just money.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:26 PM

Folks, it's not a scam. I don't even know who she is or how to find her. Having lived in Russia for four years, I know it can be a frightening and downright dangerous place if you don't know the language. It's easy to get taken there. I was fortunate enough to know the language well and was able to get myself out of a nasty situation or two. By the way, the same thing happens just as frequently in this country for people who don't speak good English.

Anyway, my point in making this post was to simply state that there is a girl who appears to be in trouble there and if anyone knows her, they should try to get into contact with her and perhaps be ready to help her out financially, at least with enough money to buy a train ticket and perhaps an airline ticket home. I posted on the Dallas forum because in her other posts on this expat site several months ago, prior to taking the job in Russia, she had mentioned that she was from Dallas.

I wasn't trying to help anyone with a scam - simply inviting anyone who might know this girl to be proactive in contacting her!

At any rate, she has since posted online stating that some relatives are helping her out with money to get her out of the situation. It sounds like everything's going to be fine.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:45 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,519,205 times
Good to hear she's going to be OK. Just so you know, there are dozens of scams going on right now that sound very similar to this. That's why people are sceptical. I wasn't sceptical of YOU (over 1500 posts rather than just a few), I was thinking that you were being taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: