Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 01:32 PM

3 posts, read 7,773 times

Advertisements

We are new to the D-FW area (moved here from Lubbock in July 09). Currently renting in Coppell. My husband's office is located on 121 near Denton Tap - a great commute from where we are.

Considering buying a house. Most likely scenarios now are to buy in Flower Mound (great commute) or to build near South Denton. Everyone who lives in Lewisville/FM tell us not to go north of "the bridge".

So, what's your experience? Do you live north of "the bridge" and commute south? Is it really that bad? Is the lower cost of living, etc., worth the commute?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 01:36 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,632,440 times
I don't think the cost of living is really much lower. If you factor in gas money, wear and tear on vehicles for driving them an extra 30 miles per day (over 10k extra per year), not too mention time sitting in traffic when you could be already home with your family, for me there is no way it is worth it. A few hundred extra square feet that you won't have as much time to enjoy? Or a little bit smaller place that you get to spend a lot more quality time with your family in?

I am sure others have different opinions, but that is just the way I personally would look at it.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:55 PM

468 posts, read 1,887,396 times
I have a son who lives in Denton and I live in Plano. The short distance is to take the (--- scarey music playing ---) "BRIDGE" . After creeping and crawling at 10 mph or less for nearly an hour several times on the "BRIDGE", we now take the North Dallas Tollway to 380 and cut across then south on Mayhill Road to southern Denton to pick him up. It's longer milage wise but so much faster.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:06 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
We lived in Lewisville for several years and I would go through Coppell to get to work in Carrollton. If I could choose an area I would recommend you stick with Lewisville or Flower Mound. Both are nice cities. I just don't think I would want to do that bridge thing on a daily basis.

Nita

Old 09-30-2009, 04:17 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,749,981 times
My mom lives just south of the lake and attends church north of the lake. Most of her friends and now her regular errands are on the north side of the lake. That bridge is the only thing that keeps her from being more active.

She's selling her house and moving north to avoid that drive.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:26 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
If you are dead-set on building, look north towards Highland Village or Argyle areas. There are some GREAT deals to be had on existing homes right now...

I totally agree with Boomerang that the extra time, wear-and-tear on cars, and gas money is not worth it just to have a new home.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:25 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,156,338 times
I lived in Oakmont in Corinth for 7 years (moved away about a year ago) and I rarely was stuck in traffic on the Lake Lewisville bridge heading north. Granted, I wasn't coming home at 5.30 pm every single night but my neighbors were and they never thought it was a problem. It helps to also know some of the short-cuts including FM 407 to Copper Canyon Rd to Old Alton Road to Teasley/Swisher/FM 2181. FM 2499 that runs through Flower Mound is planned to be extended through Corinth and into southern Denton ending at I-35N and State School Rd. I'm guessing that is still planned unless things have changed in a year?
We loved our neighborhood and we were in the new Guyer High School zone.

And Korel...would it be any easier for you to head west on Eldorado Parkway off the Dallas North Tollway in Frisco and connect to the new North Texas Tollway Bridge that crosses Lake Lewisville at Little Elm and connects to I-35 near Corinth..then north a few miles to Denton? I read where it opened a couple of months ago, but I could be mistaken.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:17 AM

7 posts, read 16,609 times
Now that they've opened the FM 2499 bridge linking Corinth with Highland Village area, getting to Coppell isn't bad.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:33 PM

88 posts, read 286,703 times
Coppell is a top ranked city ... appears you work in this area? You can go the back route also consider Highland Village. Dart when that is completed should reduce some traffic issues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas