Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 11:35 AM

512 posts, read 1,636,092 times

Advertisements

Good day to all.

Well I'm venturing across america to see what city is good to relocate to. Well I'm looking for a family oriented place that has things to do and good schools. I really don't know much about Dallas and house price, but if you can give me a good Idea or website that would be great.

I'm currently living in the D.C. area (Prince George's County, MD) and I am really tired of the place. I would love to find place were the homes are reasonable (200,000+) and have a good commute from home to work. At this point in my life I don't want to spend an 2 1/2 to 3 hours a day on the road. I would much rather be with my family. Also how is traffic am I nieve for even thinking about relocating to Dallas-Fort Worth area? Some guidance and the real spill on the area would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 07:13 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
You can easily afford a nice house in the DFW area if your budget is 200k. I would look in a place like Carrollton or Plano. Right outside the city, youre dollar will go further than it will in Dallas, plus DART rail can take you from those places to alot of Dallas. Or check out Fort Worth. A great small town feel, more laid back, inexpensive, and slower paced.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:16 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Dallas has other employment centers besides just downtown Dallas. So if you get a job in Plano or Frisco, both north of Dallas, you can get a house for $200k in a good school district - like Frisco, Plano, McKinney, Wylie, etc.

If you get a job in downtown Dallas, you will end up commuting to get to that $200k house in a good school district. So the key is to get a job in the nothern outskirts.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:06 PM

Cool it seem like Fort Worth would be more of my speed. What types of jobs are out in Dallas and Fort Worth. As you know all I am familiar with is the Federal Gov't. So I don't know exactly what the area's specialty is.

For those who moved from the D.C. Area how do you like Dallas. Is the traffic better or the same as D.C.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:56 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
DFW has a diverse industry mix. Dallas has lots of insurance and banking, and both cities have lots of distribution centers and manufacturing plants. Health care is also huge here! And yes, there are LOTS of federal agencies that have operations here.

Honestly, get the job first, then decide where to live. This will narrow your focus on which area is better for your family since there are MANY nice area all around DFW. Even though our area has been hit less hard by the economy than other places, we still have felt an impact, so jobs are still somewhat scarce.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:13 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,105,765 times
If you do decide to move to the Dallas-Fort Worth area, my only advice would be to not exclude any particular area before you get an opportunity to come down and visit. There are nice communities and neighborhoods all over.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
Good day to all.

Well I'm venturing across america to see what city is good to relocate to. Well I'm looking for a family oriented place that has things to do and good schools. I really don't know much about Dallas and house price, but if you can give me a good Idea or website that would be great.

I'm currently living in the D.C. area (Prince George's County, MD) and I am really tired of the place. I would love to find place were the homes are reasonable (200,000+) and have a good commute from home to work. At this point in my life I don't want to spend an 2 1/2 to 3 hours a day on the road. I would much rather be with my family. Also how is traffic am I nieve for even thinking about relocating to Dallas-Fort Worth area? Some guidance and the real spill on the area would be much appreciated.
We relocated from Alexandria VA to the Dallas area 20 years ago and never looked back. Yes, there were a few things we missed (the REDSKINS) and I will tell you the traffic in the DFW area is not much better than the DC area (somewhat better, not much) other than that we found lots of poistives abother Dallas and Ft Worth. Good restaurants, top medical facilities, lots of things to do (different that the DC area though) and the best: much friendlier, much more laid back people. The entire area I may add is relatively conservative but there is still a mixture of views throughout the area. The further north and west you go within the metroplex the more this is reflected. Well some may doubt that, I am thinking of Ft Worth compared to Dallas itself.

Yes, $200,000 will buy you a nice home, but what about a job, can you just up and move?

As for areas to consentrate on, that is a tough one: I am partial to Grapevine and Keller (toward Ft Worth) as well as Flower Mound and Highland Village. These areas have awesome schools, trees and are very family oriented. Plano and Frisco are also higher recommended. Of course at the top of many lists would be Coppell and Southlake, but both are a little higher in price than you are thinking, actually Highland Shores might be as well.

There are several towns around Ft Worth that might work for you. First look into employment, then visit for a few days, then start making your serious plans. I don't think you will be sorry.

Oh, one thing we do miss or did, the change of seasons. That one was probably the worst thing. Luckily the first winter we had 2 or 3 snow storms, more than usual and a nice spring. The falls don't really happen. You go from hot summer to waking up one morning are realizing summer is over and winter has arrived. (oh course I am being sarcastic) but you will not see a gradual change or the colors like on the east coast or like we have here. You will also have to adjust to much warmer summers.

Nita

Old 09-29-2009, 11:57 AM

Well to everyone I will not jump to another state without a job. Period. However I wanted to gather a few facts on a couple of areas in the U.S. I like what I hear about Dallas. I also hear that it's not impossible to live near your job so that is cool with me. Which in my opinion will cut down on long commute time.

I'm not too big on suburbs, but considering I have a family that might be an option. I was in basic training in San Antonio and I liked what I saw there too as well. Texas sounds like it fits me and my families personalites. Were laid back, love the warm weather and enjoy family. Not that you can't have that somewhere else, but it's hard to describe the nostalgia that surrounds the state. Texas has been able to peek my interest somehow. If I should have the pleasure to live in the Dallas area know this people, the biggest REDSKINS fan there is shall be at the new Dallas stadium repping the BURGANDY and GOLD!!!! Seriously thanks to everyone who has replied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas