Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 04:01 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,176,308 times

Advertisements

No shaved heads? No tatts? No liberals? What is this Dallas you speak of?

There's plenty of all three, sometimes on the same person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 09:05 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,778,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldavis View Post
Hi Friend,

My son just moved from Orange County to Dallas. He works in Garland but his housing is in Richardson, TX. This is basically called North Texas. Richardson is very very very safe. Lots of families, parks and great rents. I am sorry if I spell this wrong but his place is on buckingham road and is called the Aboretum Estates. Gated community and lots of young professionals. He has said it is the best move he has ever done. I agree with him and just went out for a week and loved it. The people are so darn nice its unbelievable. Also no graffiti, no shaved heads, no tats it was wonderful. He rents a one bedroom and it is for 729.00 a month. Beautiful with fireplace and huge porch. Every sunday everyone goes to the pool and places water volley ball and barbecues. He was able to meet people that way. He just went into the pool area and everyone just introduced themselves and it was great. Most people are from 25 to 35. Some younger. They have security, neighborhood watch etc. Should you choose this place go to the pool on sunday and he is 6ft 1, blonde hair and his name is Justin Davis. Some people at the pool call him calla cause he is from California. Very safe and resonable rents. As soon as I retire I am so outta California and moving south myself. Illegals cant get welfare and I just couldnt believe how clean.

diane
Well, for better or worse, your analysis is only about 50% correct.

Dallas has tons of people with tats, shaved heads, and tons of liberals (the city itself is pretty liberal while the suburbs are conservative). Dallas also has a huge and vibrant gay community. Dallas also is a major destination for illegals from South of the Border (particularly from Mexico and El Salvador) though not to the degree that LA is.

Youre right that Dallas is clean and the people are friendly.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:47 AM

66 posts, read 382,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I know exactly what youre going through. I just moved here with my wife 2 months ago from El Segundo.

We are in our late twenties and when we moved we wanted several things:

1) a place that was fun but that wasnt so "party, party, party" like it was when we lived on 2nd st. in Hermosa Beach
2) diversity. We like being around lots of kinds of people
3) Asian Ammenities (this one might not be important to you). My wife is Thai, so we needed a place where should could buy groceries to make the food she likes, a Thai Buddist Temple, a Thai Community center, and lots of Thai resturants.
4) A place thats open minded
5) A place that has really great nightlife (were huge fans of Techno and trance-lots of clubs for that here).

Im very proud to say that we found it all in Dallas.

As for the culture shock, in Dallas, weve had none of it. In the suburbs outside Dallas county, you can feel it a little bit. But the people here are so friendly and welcoming of just about everybody that it really helps.

Dont worry about committing social suicide here. The most social areas around Dallas are uptown, Addison, Las Collinas, and the Galleria area. There are lots of social outlets here. However, I dont know of too many in Plano.

I hope this help!

We really miss LA, but we are also very happy here!
I used to live in Hermosa Beach. I'm 28,single,female. Now I live in uptown(near west village). Love it. Another area to consider is Frisco. Its north,suburban, however surprisingly booming in nightlife,restaurants,and shopping now that the Shops Of Legacy is there. I find myself going out there more and more and never would've believed it had you told me I would one year ago. Check out the Legacy Village Apartments!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas