Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 05:16 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

special ed teachers usually get a hiring bonus and sometimes supplimental pay
depending on the district you MIGHT get credit 1 for 1 for your past teaching experience but it also might be halved--so if you have 4 yrs exp in NYC you get credit on salary ladder for two years...
if they want you--that is negotiable item--don't let them tell you it is not--but don't be too stiff about it either
you can also get hired w/o having upgraded to TX certification under the one-year temp permit
but be aware your ISD has to apply for that for you--can't get it w/o having a job in hand
having you under a temp certification may work against the school for its TAKS rating since I think teachers w/o state certification don't count toward the highly-qualified score

this is the time of year when openings come up at the last minute--registration will happen soon if not already happening--some schools may wind up with more kids than anticipated--may have to open/hire new people
I was hired three days before school opened--w/o having an application on file because my friend who was the lead ELA teacher at local high school needed someone to teach a full year--part time and no one else would do it--too much work for too little pay--next year I got a full time job when someone retired and finished out there for retirment
my son also got hired a week before school started at Highland Park ISD for ELA job when someone had to resign due to personal illness--breast cancer...
so emergencies, last minute promotions or job changes do have impact at this time of the year...

some job openings don't make it to the web sites--the principals have someone in mind or have resumes on their desks from people they thought they might hire and did not
I would suggest doing your letter/resume along with applications on line--and sending the letters/resumes to any principal who has opening at his/her school and some that don't
the ISDs all say don't do that -- but people ignore it--and principals read them
in this area principals and often the lead teachers have more clout for hiring usually than personnel office--unless the applicant is know to someone in personnel or has other intro into the district--like being child of teacher or former grads who contact their old principals...

Dallas region TEA site--for special education job postings
https://www.teacherjobnet.org/Jobs/Jobpost.exe
currently there are 72 but not all are in your certification or desired location

there were job openings but frankly they were not in large quantities mainly because of the K-2 certification--
you are in the early years for special ed frankly
many districts just refuse to test students for special needs until 3rd grade sometimes because that is when TAKS catches up to them--
they are just anti-classification because of the negative light having so many students in special ed can bring -- whether they could qualify or not--they just don't want to test them too soon...
ESL is another matter--obviously students w/o English from foreign countries are pretty difficult to ignore

finding quality day care for your child will probably be a top concern for you since you, yourself, will have to leave for work and be there before many other working moms...
within each ISD there is usually a few known home-care sitters that teachers use for their children...
I know that in my own district there were a couple that always has a waiting list and were just great at what they did--and they only wanted to have teachers' children because they wanted the vacation time as well...

map of District 10 ISDs--they cover much wider area than you are interested in
http://www.region10.org/about_r10_districts_map.html (broken link)

this is link to Region 11--the FTW/Tarrant county (mainly) site for all schools--public, private, charter--just know that once you work in private or charter schools it can be very difficult to get hired back into a public ISD--and may smaller private schools or charter schools often contract out their special needs/ESL services basically because of the expense and smaller numbers of students who require those services

http://www.esc11.net/escrxi/site/Directory_List.asp?byType=43 (broken link)

employment info for Region 11 -- not all ISDs operate the same way for posting openings

http://www.esc11.net/823100920135138/blank/browse.asp?a=383&BMDRN=2000&BCOB=0&c=53028&823Nav= |162|&NodeID=162 (broken link)

Lewisville Isd might be district to consider--good reputation--pretty desireable--pays well
within drive time to downtown
nice neighborhoods
and remember you don't have to live where you teach--although it is usually something that is + in hiring process--to say you want to live where you teach...

Mansfield IMO would be preferrable to Duncanville or Lancaster
(North) Irving around Las Colinas might be expensive but is more upscale than south
some decent areas in Carrollton-Farmers Branch
Coppell is very nice

because of demographics--Irving, Garlarnd, Grand Prairie, Arlington, Dallas, Richardson, Plano are going to need more special ed and ESL teachers than districts like Coppell or Carroll or Grapevine-Colleyville
Plano is large district--larger the more likelyhood the need for your specialities....

Last edited by loves2read; 08-09-2009 at 05:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 04:48 AM

12 posts, read 28,532 times
Default Red oak texas information please!!!!

Update: I am certified in Texas -in bilingual education (EC-12), special education (ec-12) and general education (ec-6 & 4-8) and moving to the Dallas area this July! I recently heard something from red oakISD about a possible job for me. Needless to say, I am VERY happy because this certification and application process has been long and difficult. Does anyone know anything about Red Oak? We are considering buying a house there. Which elementary school has the best reputation? What about good day cares in the area? Any information from people who know or live in the area would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 05-10-2010, 07:23 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPDSWIFE11605 View Post
Update: I am certified in Texas -in bilingual education (EC-12), special education (ec-12) and general education (ec-6 & 4-8) and moving to the Dallas area this July! I recently heard something from red oakISD about a possible job for me. Needless to say, I am VERY happy because this certification and application process has been long and difficult. Does anyone know anything about Red Oak? We are considering buying a house there. Which elementary school has the best reputation? What about good day cares in the area? Any information from people who know or live in the area would be appreciated! Thanks!
If you're coming from the city it's going to be quite a culture shock. Red Oak isn't suburban, it's rural.

Based on your original criteria, especially the close to downtown part, I'd try to look in the Lakewood area around Lakewood and Stonewall Jackson elementary school districts. Both are very well regarded and very closeto downtown.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:53 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
Agree that Red Oak is more rural than suburban. Going back to your original post and the fact that you may work in Red Oak - look at living in North Oak Cliff around Bishop Arts area. You will find plenty of diversity and friendly folks.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:52 PM

12 posts, read 28,532 times
Are there good schools in North Oak Cliff and Bishop Arts? I am wondering because is we buy in the area, I want my son attending a good school. What I mean by good is high test scores and minimal snobby- rich folk only.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:10 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Rosemont Elementary and Greiner Middle School have good reputations. SEM and TAG at Townview High School regularly top the list of best high schools in America - they are magnets however and you would have to apply. There is also talk of starting a charter high school in North Oak Cliff. Personally I think the schools in East Dallas/Lakewood are the best anywhere...

Old 05-11-2010, 04:19 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
Rosemont has a dual language program that many in North Oak Cliff send their kids to. I've never heard anything negative about it.

Lots of kids go the magnet school route. Harry Stone is a Montessori magnet (preK-8) located in south Oak Cliff. I have a friend who sent her two oldest kids there, but she is opting for Rosemont for the youngest since it's closer to their house.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:00 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Everyone I know who lives on North Oak Cliff/Kessler Park have their kids in private school, such as this one:
The Kessler School - We Educate the WHOLE Child. Private School Dallas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas