Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 11:38 PM

14 posts, read 66,742 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I am a recent college graduate and going to working i downtown starting this fall. From what I hear, these are the two places single, young professionals usually live. I essentially want to live where the young people are living.

Any opinions on these two areas? Is one safer than the other? More single women in one place than the other? I haven't chosen any specific buildings yet, and just want to know more about the areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 06:29 AM

133 posts, read 514,221 times
It really depends on your personality and what you like to do. WHen I moved here, I specifically chose to in Uptown because you can walk around there and I enjoyed the bars/restaurants around there more than the Village. However, I've know people who have lived in the Village and loved it. It's so cheap and there's so many parties always going on that it's almost impossible not to have a good time. That said, it's just like an extension of college.... whether you think that is good or bad is another story.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:32 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,594,433 times
Both should be good choices, but as Chicago_Transplant said, they are different from each other. Some generalizations:

Uptown, on average, will have higher rents. There will be more restaurants/shops in walking distance, with many of those options costing a bit more than what's available in The Villages. If you select the West Village area of Uptown, the DART rail (DART.org - Dallas Area Rapid Transit) is very close. Uptown also has a historic street car that's neat and is free. Uptown will have less college aged students than The Villages.

The Villages is close to SMU and, if you're in the South-West portion of the complex, close to the DART rail also. Several groceries are very close - Tom Thumb and Central Market. The Villages is a large apartment complex that's near shopping/restaurants where Uptown is an urban neighborhood. That being said, that means The Villages actually has green space - and lots of it. There are walking trails going around the "lakes" (aka ponds) that are VERY nice. If you like the outdoors for walking, relaxing, etc - The Villages is hands down your option. Since it's close to SMU, there are more college aged folks here, but it does not overrun the complex at all. Very good mix. Many, many pools on the complex. Walkable shopping is a little less so - but there are still options - Old Towne shopping center is right there, and has the best Thai in Dallas (IMO) at Royal Thai, along with several other eating options.

Hope that helps to give you a little feel for what there is in the area. I think the biggest question is: do you like the urban lifestyle or would you prefer to have lots of greenspace. That's the biggest difference, and they're both so close to each other, you are certainly not ruling out going back and forth. One really nice thing that the Villages does offer is short term leases. I stayed there for a 3-month lease that was only $100/month over market rate for that flexibility - so you can dip your toes into The Villages and if you don't like it, move in a couple months. The cost for such flexibility is pretty negligible.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:01 PM

14 posts, read 66,742 times
Thanks, guys. This information was extremely helpful. I still need to figure out which lifestyle I am wanting to live. At this point I am leaning towards The Village...but that is a very small lean! This information was extremely helpful, though.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:15 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
There are also many places to live in Downtown - most are in converted office buildings in fabulous renovations. Not that much green space but a lot of the folks seem to know each other.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:31 PM

28 posts, read 130,650 times
The Village is almost a right of passage in Dallas - I am 24 and I, my husband, and pretty much everyone I know has lived in the village at one point or another. It is mostly younger people, with lots of community activities at the clubhouse. Especially if you are new to Dallas I would recommend it as a great place to get to know people. Get involved in intramurals or go to the club pool on a Saturday afternoon!

Old 08-05-2009, 03:46 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
The Village Country Club pool parties (sometimes with bands) are legendary.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:43 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,287,721 times
The Village is a great place to live, but farther from work and Uptown, where you'll likely be spending lots of time going out. Mix of newer apartments (built in past 10 years) and old, cheap places.

Uptown is more expensive with more options of rental property, from big apartment complexes to townhomes, duplexes, high rises, and condos. More culture in Uptown, from art galleries and theatres to indie theatres, bookstores, and close to museums & art districts. Ability to walk to nightlife, which you don't have in the Village. 10 min commute (garage to desk) downtown.

Whomever said the biggest difference is that the Village is a giant apartment complex and Uptown is an urban neighborhood said it best. Same people - basically- in both locations. Just depends on your preference.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:11 PM

6,803 posts, read 14,023,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexyjill View Post
The Village is almost a right of passage in Dallas - I am 24 and I, my husband, and pretty much everyone I know has lived in the village at one point or another. It is mostly younger people, with lots of community activities at the clubhouse. Especially if you are new to Dallas I would recommend it as a great place to get to know people. Get involved in intramurals or go to the club pool on a Saturday afternoon!

You got that right. Even Mark Cuban called The Village home when he first landed in Dallas.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:00 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,594,433 times
One more item regarding The Villages... if you are a cyclist and plan to actively cycle in Dallas, I would recommend The Villages over Uptown. It's 2-3 miles from TV to White Rock Lake, which is by far the most popular place in Dallas to walk/run/bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: