Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 11:37 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
I had a Pontiac G6 with no front plate holder and no good place to drill in the bumper, so I tied the license plate to the grill thingy below the bumper (it's not the air intake, which is above the bumper). It didn't look tacky at all unless you peer at it from the ground and see that I tied it on rather than drilled.
You are inventive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 12:45 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Not running a front license plate was a big deal for me when I was in my early 20's & driving a souped up rice burner that I wanted looking show car sleek all the time. I could care less now, its not that big of a deal really. Stop whining & put on your front LP before you get a needless ticket.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:01 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
if all cars sold in a state need to be compliant with that state's policies regarding legal/illegal construction--like CA's with its air-regulation emissions...
then those cars should not be sold in TX if they don't have spot for their front license plate...
no frame or obvious place to screw in the plate==can't sell the car...

Old 06-18-2009, 07:48 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
if all cars sold in a state need to be compliant with that state's policies regarding legal/illegal construction--like CA's with its air-regulation emissions...
then those cars should not be sold in TX if they don't have spot for their front license plate...
no frame or obvious place to screw in the plate==can't sell the car...
That means cars such as Aston's, Ferrari's, Lambo's, etc would not be able to be sold here for the most part (huge loss of $$$$$ in taxes for the area as well). Many of those models do not have an area that would accomodate such. I've yet to see one that did have a front LP and I would not put one on mine either. Personally, when I finally get to scratch off #3 on my list of cars I want I will bypass on that deal and so will many others. These are cars that do have a high turnover as many of the owners buy one and keep it for a few years then sell it off and get another. It is not uncommon for them to be shipped constantly across the country when sold. I'd say we would be getting pretty darn close to a nanny state if such a law ever came into existence and I'd be totally against it. The owners of these cars are not the reason this law probably even came about. The ones that NEED a front LP are those that are out constantly breaking the law.........

Old 06-18-2009, 10:46 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,464,433 times
Quote:
I agree that many of the cars/trucks I see on the road do have very illegal tints and they should be stopped and ticketed or even impounded...

frankly if I were a policeman who had to approach driver or passenger when the windows were tinted to dark to see INSIDE the front seat I would be much more apprehensive and suspicious...

point of order--not all cars are driven at 70mph all the time

I put my license # in my cell phone--can't remember it either--
no one said that all cars go 70 mph at all times. Jeeez. A bit nit picky arent we? And when you get pulled over there is a certain procedure to follow so that the officer feels safe. I always roll down the window and place one hand on the door and one on the steering wheel in plain view. There is nothing wrong with tinted windows. The tint helps with the Texas heat.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:49 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
there is a legal limit as to the darkness on driver/front passenger side windows and also on other windows I think but they can be darker

not all people are as accomodating as you...

Old 06-18-2009, 03:42 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
there is a legal limit as to the darkness on driver/front passenger side windows and also on other windows I think but they can be darker

not all people are as accomodating as you...
35% or higher on the driver & passenger sides. You can paint the rear window black if you wanted to, I've seen it done before & its perfectly legal.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:01 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
I sell Hondas here in the metroplex. Honda has a front plate bracket that attaches underneath the bumper or grill depending on the way the car is designed that can then hold the front plate without drilling into the bumper. I think most other "normal" cars are like this, can't speak for all the exotics out there.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:06 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
35% or higher on the driver & passenger sides. You can paint the rear window black if you wanted to, I've seen it done before & its perfectly legal.
Had a customer that wanted tint but then gave me a list of 12 states that he "might" get transferred to and the tint needed to be legal in all 12 of those states as well. When we researched this, I found there is absolutely NO uniformity on tint laws, each state was different. The sunbelt states were more lenient, however a number of the more urbanized states in the NE in particular do not allow any tint on the front window.

You are correct, Texas does allow the 35% or higher on front two windows, rear can be as dark as you want.

Oh, we told the guy that he could get the 35% or none, we would remove it for free if he got transferred to a state that wouldn't allow that.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:21 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,767,945 times
I'm considering getting my vehicle tinted 50% all around (except the windshield) to cut down on the heat.

I used to have a garage but now I don't, and it gets blazing hot sitting in the sun all day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas